Profile for joevitus

joevitus Profile Photo
Member Name: joevitus
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Any chance we'll see Daniel Fish's Oklahoma! again?  Feb 16 2024, 01:15:15 AM

blaxx said: "Broadway Flash said: "I hope not it was dreadful. Oklahoma is not supposed to be a tragedy. It’s better when you stick to the script and happy."

On the contrary, Fish was able to truly show the dark piece it is.
"

There is no way on earth Rodgers and Hammerstein would agree had they seen it.

I think there is room for interpretations like this because Oklahoma! is a classic that can survive any interpretat

FOLLIES Movie Adaptation in the Works!!  Feb 10 2024, 10:31:55 PM

Georgeanddot2 said: "Ti West's obsession with nostalgiabation cinema makes him the wrong director for a film about the danger of nostalgia and living in the past."

Or the perfect one.

FOLLIES Movie Adaptation in the Works!!  Feb 10 2024, 10:30:29 PM

Auggie27 said: "Someone will be a naysayer, so I'll jump to the front of the line.

The show's magic is entirely theatrical. We, the live audience, collectively eavesdrop, via a daring, fully immersive conceit: we're in the actual space where the action occurs. We suspend disbelief that ghosts walk among the players, the thrill in the collapse of time and shared stage of past and present, that Proustian prism. But movies create such illusions easily -- our gasps

Great songs given to minor/insignificant characters  Feb 4 2024, 11:35:42 PM

ChiDoc said: "My immediate thought is “The Gentleman is a Dope” from Allegro, although several of the songs in that show also qualify."

The song is sung by the character who proves to be the protagonist's true love and moral compass. Hardly a minor/insignificant character. 

Hinton Battle has died  Jan 30 2024, 03:50:51 PM

Rest in peace. Sad to lose two great talents in one day. Both triple threats. *sigh*

Chita Rivera has died  Jan 30 2024, 03:46:22 PM

A giant of the business and a true loss. Thank you so much for sharing your talent and enriching the world of dance, the musical theater, and our lives, Ms. Rivera. 

Drew Barrymore Visits the Barrymore Theatre  Jan 21 2024, 08:51:53 PM

Jay Lerner-Z said: "We are all random persons on a message board, BroadwayNYC2.

To see her praised here for supporting the arts shows just how quickly people forget.
"

Or they recognize--as she recognized--that she made a major error, and having acknowledged that, they've moved on.

Why are all the new musicals going into a Shubert house?  Jan 20 2024, 04:39:39 AM

Wait, I'm confused. A thread should be deleted because you think the person who started it just wanted attention? I thought it was an interesting question, though I also think Ermengarde gave a great answer.

How to Fix the Broadway Model  Jan 18 2024, 01:06:13 PM

BossBroadway said: "I think that people need to understand that the average broadway ticket price (generally, there are a few shows that are the exception) has actually adjusted with inflation since the 90s, give or take an additional $15 per ticket. One of the real issues is that people's wages across the country hasn't kept up with inflation for decades. The average ticket price would actually be much more affordable, had wages kept up. The other issue is that the rising co

Elton John Completes the EGOT with Emmy Win  Jan 16 2024, 05:05:15 PM

Weird that Jay made a couple of short posts, several people responded with very long hostile posts, but somehow he's the one highjacking the thread. You could just ignore him if you want. Lots of people are hostile to the monarchy these days, by which I don't mean one should be (I don't really care, either way). But I feel like other people made this all about Jay much more than Jay himself did. 

Modern The Sound of Music  Jan 16 2024, 04:50:23 PM

degrassifan said: "joevitus said: "BrodyFosse123 said: "Plannietink08 said: "Interesting idea. The issue is that The Sound of Music is a true story, the characters are real people who’s children are still alive today so I’m not sure how well it would go down."

As covered above, THE SOUND OF MUSIC is loosely based on a true story (even the family has claimed this). Aside from Maria and the Captain, the children and all the ot

Modern The Sound of Music  Jan 12 2024, 12:58:22 AM

BrodyFosse123 said: "Plannietink08 said: "Interesting idea. The issue is that The Sound of Music is a true story, the characters are real people who’s children are still alive today so I’m not sure how well it would go down."

As covered above, THE SOUND OF MUSIC is loosely based on a true story (even the family has claimed this). Aside from Maria and the Captain, the children and all the other characters are fabricated and loose composites of

COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development  Dec 26 2023, 05:35:07 PM

phantom8019 said: "Per Deadline:

"Speaking ofThe Color Purple,it came up big — much bigger than expected on its first day with an estimated$18.1M, A CinemaScore, 5 stars and 92% positive. That haul was enough forColor Purpleto win Christmas Day ahead ofAquaman 2($10.6M) andWonka($10.4M). As of right now that ties with the first Christmas day of Universal’s feature take on West End/Broadway musicalLes Miserableswhich went on to ultimately make $148.8M. Are musicals dead on the big screen? Absolutely not, they just need to be excellent."

https://deadline.com/2023/12/box-office-aquaman-and-the-lost-kingdom-migration-color-purple-1235680766/
"

The film version of Le Mis was excellent? 

THE SOUND OF MUSIC super deluxe film soundtrack to be released  Dec 4 2023, 02:15:33 PM

degrassifan said: "joevitus said: "There's an alternative take, but it have different orchestrations from those used in the final edit and lacks the intro music."

No, it’s legit the movie version with the intro. On the Apple Music track list, it’s number 53. It comes after Salzburg Montage (Discrete Version) and before Edelweiss (Without Chorus). The track is called “Sixteen Going On Seventeen (Reprise) [Film Version].

Here’s the YouTube link below —

https://youtu.be/d1CBjsU_E1g?si=ZOwehVgufKzRbviQ
"

Thank you!

THE SOUND OF MUSIC super deluxe film soundtrack to be released  Dec 3 2023, 05:13:50 AM

degrassifan said: "joevitus said: "Ugh, yet again they stick in the "A bell is no bell" intro to the "Sixteen Going on Seventeen" reprise. I'd be happy with this as an additional track, but I'd like to be able to hear it as it's heard in the film, without the intro. Aaand they went with the reverb-heavy version of the title song. Don't like that one. Won't be shelling out for this."

This new soundtrack does indeed

THE SOUND OF MUSIC super deluxe film soundtrack to be released  Dec 2 2023, 04:07:25 AM

Ugh, yet again they stick in the "A bell is no bell" intro to the "Sixteen Going on Seventeen" reprise. I'd be happy with this as an additional track, but I'd like to be able to hear it as it's heard in the film, without the intro. Aaand they went with the reverb-heavy version of the title song. Don't like that one. Won't be shelling out for this.

Jim Walton offers Frank comments about the new Broadway revival of 'Merrily We Roll Along' and recalls the original 'Like It Was'  Dec 1 2023, 07:14:55 PM

Wayman_Wong said: "''Poor James Weissenbach. He got shafted because a bad production was laying an egg.''

it sounds like Prince had to bow and deal with his producers' wishes for a new leading man.
"

Since Prince and Ruth Mitchell were the only producers, I'm not buying that argument. If, however, the term was actually "production team" rather than "producing team," it likely means several of the creatives,

Would love to know how people reacted to the 1999 Disney Annie when it originally aired  Nov 29 2023, 01:24:40 PM

everythingtaboo said: "I'm trying to remember if there were any qualms about the multi-racial casting, but this was pre-internet. Considering how well it was received, any commentary in that regard at the time was lost. Can't say we'd get the same respect if it came out now."

There was no reason to have a problem with Audra McDonald as Grace. This was not "pre-internet" (what a bizarre assumption). No comments about it at all. 

Jim Walton offers Frank comments about the new Broadway revival of 'Merrily We Roll Along' and recalls the original 'Like It Was'  Nov 29 2023, 12:35:03 PM

Poor James Weissenbach. He got shafted because a bad production was laying an egg. It's a bit sad Sondheim never did anything for him, and has used Walton any number of times. 

MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews  Nov 29 2023, 10:51:11 AM

I really appreciate all the comments about "That Frank" and how/why it works as a replacement. 

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You