News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for joevitus

joevitus Profile Photo
Member Name: joevitus
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Stephen Pasquale to star in NINE at Kennedy Center
 Jul 23 2024, 10:50:15 PM

Oh, they sound sooo good. I don't care for the pause and then spoken (rather than sung) "my husband'" at the end of the "My Husband Makes Movies" clip, but otherwise that sampling of the show makes me ache that--I'm guessing--there will be no cast recording and there's no way I could get to D.C. to see it. Just sounds scrumptious. I love this score so much! Can't wait to read what people who get to see it have to say.

Complete CAROUSEL cast recording on its way
 Jul 22 2024, 01:32:04 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "joevitus said: "the only show Robert Russell Bennett wrote all the orchestrations for himself was The Sound of Music (which, incidentally, he considered the best score Rodgers ever wrote)."

Huh. I guess even geniuses have bad opinions sometimes ;)
"

:)

Jul 22 2024, 10:28:41 AM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Then and now it's not uncommon for an orchestrator or composer to farm out a few numbers to a different orchestrator. Especially if a lot of new material is going in out of town or late in the process. Sometimes those people enjoy working in the style that has already been set."

Despite being credited as sole orchestrator for all the R&H shows--including Cinderella on television--other than Carousel, actually the only show Rober

Jul 20 2024, 10:11:56 PM

MichelleCraig said: "
I don’t think we’ve had a truly great recording of CAROUSEL ever. "

I think both the OBC, despite being truncated for 78 discs, and the 1994 Broadway are indisputably great. 

Jul 20 2024, 10:10:24 PM

CATSNYrevival said: "Why was it revised? It’s not even that different."

Don't know the answer. First I'm aware of the change is the film. Admittedly "hold your head up high" is easier on the voice, and sounds prettier, than "keep your chin up high" (plus you get a bit more alliteration), so it might have been about making it more comfortable to sing, but I don't know that was the reason.

Jul 19 2024, 03:38:14 PM

Interesting they went with the revised "hold your head up high" rather than the original "keep your chin up high" for "You'll Never Walk Alone."

Jul 19 2024, 10:55:01 AM

EvanstonDad said: "Looking forward to giving this a listen, though I doubt it will surpass the 1993 London cast recording for me, which has a special place in my heart.

Also, I didn't think the Oklahoma! recording was awful. It suffers the fate of most studio cast recordings in that it sounds more lifeless than actual cast recordings, but it's great to have the complete score.
"

For me it's the 1994 Broadway cast, though I love the

Jul 19 2024, 09:31:28 AM

Please don't let it be awful like the Oklahoma! recording. What a waste! (Although the orchestra was lovely.)

Would love to see a Sound of Music Revival
 Jul 16 2024, 11:49:19 AM

How does anyone listen to/look at photographs of Mary Martin in the original production and read anything like "manic pixie dream girl"? How can one say her "edges have been sanded off" if that is the starting place? It's absurd. 

Would love to see a Sound of Music Revival
 Jul 16 2024, 10:25:25 AM

darquegk said: "I think TSOM lives and dies on its Maria, and so many Marias neglect the fact that Maria is a manic pixie dream girl. They play her straight, like an ingenue or a Disney princess.

Maria is strange, unpredictable and quirky. She is sexy in a bizarre way that is out of place in stiff-upper-lip aristocratic Austria. She's a role Julie Andrews played, she's not (the rather one-dimensional public image associated with) Julie Andrews herself.
"

FOLLIES at Carnegie Hall
 Jun 25 2024, 05:15:21 PM

SonofRobbieJ said: "joevitus said: "wiggum2 said: "I found my book and the Michael Bennet info

https://ibb.co/bzzLgFC
"

Bennet says one thing, Sondheim another. Choose whomever you trust.
"

I need to go dig through my books to see what I (and you, joevitus) are thinking of. I wonder if it's in Everything Was Possible. I would (probably) trust Ted Chapin to be the ref on this.
"

You can find both views expressed in Sondheim and Co. Sondheim said he preferred Uptown/Downtown but Michael Bennet insisted on a new song for that spot to start fresh (and asked for a new song to replace "Bring on the Girls," leading to "Beautiful Girls," for the same reason). Bennet said he preferred Uptown/Downton and never knew why Sondheim replaced it, and that the song switch rendered the choreography meaningless. I guess Bennett repeated that comment elsewhere, or other biographers picked it up from Sondheim and Co. Sondheim, for his part, repeated the story on both the liner notes for the Paper Mill Playhouse cast recording of Follies and in his collection of lyrics Finishing the Hat that Bennett insisted on the song change to start fresh.

FOLLIES at Carnegie Hall
 Jun 25 2024, 03:23:41 PM

wiggum2 said: "I found my book and the Michael Bennet info

https://ibb.co/bzzLgFC
"

Bennet says one thing, Sondheim another. Choose whomever you trust.

SARAH BRIGHTMAN To Star in Australian SUNSET BLVD.
 Jun 22 2024, 07:19:31 PM

123musicalfan said: "Ensemble1716440075 said: "I wonder who in the world had the idea of asking her...she was never known for her acting abilities, and her voice doesn't match others who have done this role. Her personality does reflect Norma in some ways, with how she is the perpetual ingenue.

I've seen people describe her as taking the role in another direction, being verydelicate/fragile...sorry, but I think that's baloney. It's her default sett

SARAH BRIGHTMAN To Star in Australian SUNSET BLVD.
 Jun 22 2024, 07:15:16 PM

tomwsjr said: "Is anyone really surprised that Sarah isn’t up for the role? Some people are making her out to be a theatre icon, which she most definitely is not. I saw her in Phantom and yes her voice was lovely, but acting wise/stage presence, it had to be the worst performer I’ve ever seen on Broadway in all my 44 years of avid theatre going."

Thank you. I'm absolutely baffled. 

THE WIZ 2024 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
 Jun 7 2024, 01:24:54 PM

EDSOSLO858 said: "Track listing:

• ACT I
  • 1. Overture / Soon As I Get Home (Preprise)
  • 2. The Feeling We Once Had
  • 3. The Tornado
  • 4. He's the Wizard
  • 5. Soon As I Get Home
  • 6. You Can't Win
  • 7. Slide Some Oil to Me
  • 8. Mean Ole Lion
  • 9. Ease On Down the Road
  • 10. Be a Lion
  • A
Your thoughts on the 2010 Promises, Promises revival
 Jun 6 2024, 07:46:14 AM

Just irritates me that the revival cast recording is readily available, but the original cast recording doesn't have an iTunes release (and the CD is no longer in print). 

Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
 Jun 5 2024, 01:32:45 PM

ljay889 said: "Audra played Mother Superior in The Sound of Music Live in 2013.

"

Totally nitpicky (and with no relevance to the Gypsy discussion) but it's Mother Abbess not Mother Superior. 

Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
 May 30 2024, 04:09:52 AM

TBFL said: "It's funny how all those people who said that the rumours of Audra in Gypsy was complete nonsense, a fantasy, totally made up, no truth to it whatsoever...... are strangley quiet today. Heaven forbid some of them might actually admit they were wrong....

Personally, this doesn't appeal.. Yes she's hugely talented, but the idea of a soprano Mamma Rose does nothing for me. And i'm all Gypsy'd out for a good few years.

Despite her fal

Darren Criss and Helen J Shen Will Lead MAYBE HAPPY ENDING on Broadway
 May 14 2024, 01:02:34 PM

Broadway Flash said: "FLOP"

This makes me think Maybe Happy Ending will be the next Chicago. 

THE WIZ 2024 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
 Apr 26 2024, 01:55:25 PM

EDSOSLO858 said: "Releases July 12! Music and lyrics by Charlie Smalls"

Great news, thank you!

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You