News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Raven4

Member Name: Raven4
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Broadway Flops succeeding in Europe
 Feb 3 2020, 01:21:21 AM

GavestonPS said: "Raven4 said: "...
Another thing is that countries like Germany have no long musical tradition...."

I know exactly what you meant, Raven, and I appreciate your sharing your considerable knowledge of European theater.

Nonetheless, Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, Strauss (both of them), Wagner and Brecht are all spinning in their graves. LOL.

I'm sure you are aware that by "musical tradition" I was referring to musical theatre and not to music in general. Although it does make me realize how easily things get lost in translation. The English language qualifies this particular (American) genre as "musical theatre" whereas in German it's referred to as "Musicals" so I didn't add the qualifier. The German word "Musiktheater" which would be a direct translation, encompasses every kind of sung performance, including opera and operetta, which indeed we have a long tradition of. The latter of being the German version of early musical theatre that ground to a halt in the 20s and 30s.  We then came to appreciate the "light" American entertainment of musical theatre as it's the only genre that is merely entertaining and out to offer the audience a fun evening out. We have enough heavy-weight leaden and cerebral dramas and abstract bizarre Regietheater operas. 

And yes, Hamilton has been scrapped. There are different rumours as to why, but my guess is simply that producers realized there is absolutely no chance of success for a badly translated German version of a show whose subject is of zero interest to people here. Stage Entertainment is now developing a musical based on a moderately successful TV show set in the 50s Berlin. Whether it will take off, who knows.

For the Hamburg theatres, you can take a look here:

https://www.stage-entertainment.de/unternehmen/theater-vermietung/theater-vermietung.html

Broadway Flops succeeding in Europe
 Sep 25 2019, 04:22:27 AM

Tarzan received a big overhaul before it was brought to the Netherlands and Germany and looked much better than it had on Broadway. However Little Mermaid still failed and didn't live on after a Dutch tour. 

Anastasia has been reasonably successful in Madrid only. The German production played for less than a year in a half-empty theatre (although pricing is ever an issue) and the Dutch production has only just opened to luke-warm reviews. Pretty Woman is also only just opening

Down to One
 Aug 1 2019, 03:31:56 AM

I won't be getting to New York until the end of August, but some friends of mine / hardcore fans are coming over from the UK to attend the first preview(s) and cheer the cast on. Can't wait to hear the first reports! 

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/14/19
 Jul 16 2019, 04:52:02 AM

bear88 said: ".But it's a dated musical, an adaptation of a 37-year-old film that doesn't give its lead performer an actual character arc.

Beetlejuice, meanwhile, is plugging away despite pretty mixed reviews. I don't think it will end up being a hit either, and I wonder how it will do after the summer, but it's holding up better now.
"

Speaking as a tourist here, I don't feel attracted to see Tootsie at all. Not only does the w

Down to One
 Jul 16 2019, 12:18:54 AM

V2David said: "If you are going to the show a 2nd time and only need a single seat, I would wait to purchase. I'm not sure what they are doing with the first 3 rows (are they even selling them or rush seats?) But I think you are going to be able to find an amazing seat for a ridiculous price if you only need 1 seat. At least that is what I would do..."

Rows AA-CC won't be on sale. I had tickets in Row AA and was relocated to Row A. They will need the space to

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You