News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for swoboda

swoboda Profile Photo
Member Name: swoboda
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews  Dec 14 2021, 04:13:50 PM

Dan6 said: "Any seating recommendations from those who've seen it? Looks like choices for my available night are Row C (too close?) or Row H."

I sat in row C during previews. Row H would be a much better choice. 

KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews  Dec 9 2021, 10:12:00 PM

Larry6417 said: "I cannot understand why this show isn't already sold out.

Great seats are still available at $101.

(I am not in the production, nor an employee of the production or the theatre.)
"

$101 is not a small amount of money.

I think the General Public is wary of attending plays or any event for that matter due to Covid. 

KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews  Nov 29 2021, 10:07:38 PM

VintageSnarker said: "OK, I put my thoughts together.

As it currently exists, Kimberly Akimbo is a wonderfully entertaining and funny show with top-notch talent but it's never profound. In spite of the topics it touches on, it never goes deep enough to be truly poignant or thoughtful or inspirational or cathartic. It feels like Jeanine Tesori's and David Lindsay-Abaire's talents are a bit wasted on just adding a very well-executed entry into this genre of mid-t

KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews  Nov 29 2021, 09:52:41 PM

VintageSnarker said: "OK, I put my thoughts together.

As it currently exists, Kimberly Akimbo is a wonderfully entertaining and funny show with top-notch talent but it's never profound. In spite of the topics it touches on, it never goes deep enough to be truly poignant or thoughtful or inspirational or cathartic. It feels like Jeanine Tesori's and David Lindsay-Abaire's talents are a bit wasted on just adding a very well-executed entry into this genre of mid-t

KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews  Nov 29 2021, 10:10:42 AM

kwoc91 said: "I agree, VintageSnarker. Milligan was a standout and had the audience laughing (some folks arguably laughing too hard/loud/prolonged) at yesterday's matinee. I won the lottery and was seated in row D, right in the center. They were great seats.

I thought the show was good, not great. I'm a sucker for a Tesori score so I generally enjoyed the music. I thought Act 2 was weak and dragged down my overall assessment of the show. The plot doesn't really

TROUBLE IN MIND Previews  Nov 29 2021, 09:45:22 AM

chrishuyen said: "Any note on where either the $19.57 mobile rush seats or TDF seats are? Trying to decide if I should try for those or go with the $49 orchestra row N offer they're running right now"

This probably won't help you in your search, because I paid the $19.57 on November 6th which was previews. I sat in row L which was a great seat in the orchestra. However, I'm not sure if those $19 57 seats will be located in the orchestra n

KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews  Nov 28 2021, 08:13:13 PM

TodayTix has a $25 lottery. I sat in Row C for today's matinee. I was a winner in yesterdays drawing.

TROUBLE IN MIND Reviews  Nov 20 2021, 04:18:21 PM

The play within the play takes place on the first and 4th day of rehearsals. I forget which act the "ironing" business occurred. Actors would still be wearing their normal clothes that early in rehearsals. 

The costumes were beautiful. The characters were all pretty sharp dressers except for the white male actor who looked kinda disheveled.

TROUBLE IN MIND Reviews  Nov 19 2021, 09:42:56 AM

Broadway News' Charles Isherwood wrote a positive review that struck a chord with me in that I agreed with his assessments of the actors. LaChanze is the glue and everything revolves around her bravura performance. Really, an acting and singing tour de force.

TROUBLE IN MIND Previews  Nov 9 2021, 09:22:11 PM

I agree JBway. The drama between Willetta and the director is a key aspect that makes this play a timeless gem. At the outset of the play, Willetta was reluctantly set to play the stereotypical part as she'd done countless other times in her career. She even counseled the young inexperienced male actor on how to give the director what he was expecting, an agreeable and non threatening presence. But his goading Willetta to find the truth in her character sparked her artistic sensibilities

LACKAWANNA BLUES Previews  Nov 4 2021, 03:53:20 PM
When one man can transport you back to the locations and people of his past and have you feeling that you're there right with him? I believe that's a gift.
On top of that, his early life is totally interesting with an unorthodox yet loving upbringing. The tenderness which Santiago-Hudson conveys in his portrayals is very touching. It's clear he both loved and felt loved by the folks who "brought him up".

CLYDE'S Previews  Nov 4 2021, 03:28:48 PM

....Immensely enjoyable on different levels. The comic timing is spot on, whilst the issues of oppression, freedom of expression and independence, and what garnish is appropriate for a tuna sandwich are all there. Clyde reminded me of the lead actress in "Ruined" in her strength and dynamism. She not only terrified her employees but me as well, 6th row balcony.
Love Clyde's wardrobe choices.

Great acting, physicality, and overall just a well crafted look at peopl

What is the best Stage Performance You Have Ever Seen?  Nov 10 2018, 06:56:51 AM
Jefferson Mays in "I Am My Own Wife"...One man portraying multiple characters of different sexes, nationalities, sexual orientations, accents, and ages. Performed the entire show alone. All done seamleslesly like an intricate puzzle.
Live Staging of A Few Good Men on NBC  Nov 10 2014, 09:30:28 PM
Honor. God. Country.
Live Staging of A Few Good Men on NBC  Nov 10 2014, 09:03:44 PM
Daniel Craig. I'd put my life in his hands.
Has anyone rushed On The Town recently?  Nov 8 2014, 01:26:53 AM
I've tried approximately 20 times and saw it twice. Both times my seats were excellent. It's one of my personal favorites-I loved it!
SAVE THE EDISON CAFE!!!!!  Nov 7 2014, 04:46:27 PM
I've seen countless well known recognizable faces over the years either getting takeout or at one of the booths or the counter. That's not the point although it doesn't hurt to have them on board to support this lil institution. This place has character built from decades of service to all who have lived, worked, or visited the theater district. That matters a great deal. The people who work there are almost to the person longtimers and deserve much better than this. Very sad indeed...
Lunch Mob to Save the Cafe Edison Saturday Noon  Nov 7 2014, 03:59:01 PM
I frequented this place probably a hundred times over the past 20 years and will miss it greatly. Aside from the fantastic homemade soups and reliable diner fare it was the people who served me that I always felt comfortable with. Besides being hardworking and honest they were always polite, earnest
and delivered great service. It is they who I'll miss. Ours is a great city but it will be diminished should Cafe Edison leave.

Code for $20 off first purchase on TodayTix  Oct 19 2014, 03:26:05 PM
I used a code last night and got 2 tix for On The Town, Row X ( orch) for $20 total. It was via the Today Tix lottery. Seat locations for lottery seem to be quite nice cause I saw other lottery winners sitting nearby. The box office employee told me they try and give the best seats they can for the lottery depending on availability (btw, my code's LGWLV).
one $20 tkt for tonite's On The Town available  Oct 18 2014, 05:29:40 PM
I won the lottery so I have an extra ticket for this evening's performance. Can meet in front of the Lyric on 42nd. Text me at 3475420097 if you are interested. Thanks. Stan
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You