News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for jaxandmci

jaxandmci Profile Photo
Member Name: jaxandmci
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Cabaret previews  Apr 7 2014, 03:36:23 PM
Saw Cabaret Saturday afternoon and it was as glorious as I remember it from the two times I saw it during the summer of 2000. Cumming, Williams and Edmond are remarkable and the entire production felt identical--which made it still perfect because they didn't need to change a thing. 14 years later, the jolt of a finish still packs a wallop. We already have tickets to see it again in a few weeks.

Our floor banquette worked out rather well. Fortunately, a short couple had the table in

Mothers and Sons Previews  Apr 7 2014, 03:11:54 PM
Saw the show Saturday evening from the front row and thought it was outstanding. Daly is such an incredible presence and was simply mesmerizing, even when she wasn't speaking. I found her character to be quite sympathetic--heartbreaking, actually--not the evil ice queen I was expecting. This is one of the few plays I've seen in recent memory that stirred up such an exhausting level of emotion. I highly recommend it but fear that because the mezz was mostly empty on a Saturday night, it won't
Bullets Over Broadway on TDF  Mar 21 2014, 03:56:06 PM
Yes, beltingbaritone, I, too, was bored out of my mind after about 45 minutes in. As best12bars points out, the movie is 98 minutes long but take away the opening (if there are any) and closing credits, and you're probably closer to 90. Why is another hour needed to tell the same story?

It's technically top-notch but that excruciatingly long book just ruined the whole thing for me.

ALADDIN Reviews  Mar 21 2014, 03:44:43 PM
I'm really happy for these mostly good reviews. I thoroughly enjoyed it and think it's great to see another show on Broadway that families can attend together. They are few and far between, and of late have catered more to the girls (Annie, Cinderella). I'm glad for all the youngsters (both boys and girls) who will fall in love with musical theatre because of (or, as many posters here would say, in spite of) Aladdin!
Heart and Lights Delayed (Cancelled)  Mar 21 2014, 03:36:31 PM
There goes my three show Saturday next month! We need more 5PM shows!
Cabaret previews  Mar 21 2014, 03:35:21 PM
I'm jealous of all of you going to the first preview! I don't go until early April and my subscriber tickets landed me in those Floor Banquettes halfway back in the Orchestra. From what I remember of the former revival, when seated in those banquettes you had a helluva obstructed view because you were sitting lower than those at the tables in front of you. I'm anxious to hear from any early attendees if this is still the case.

In the meantime, I'm trying to move closer but the availa

Aladdin Previews  Mar 18 2014, 03:58:56 PM
I saw Aladdin Sunday (03/16) and loved it. Mind you, it’s not classically great theatre. It’s just plain silly fun with a well-told story, great technical elements, a catchy score, energetic performances, and a brisk 2 hour, 20 minute pace. After being bored out of my brains through many of the last year's musical offerings, Aladdin was just a delight. I suppose you could say it brought out the kid in me.

I say that it’s near-perfect in that I think it accomplishes what it sets ou

Queen of the Night  Mar 18 2014, 03:05:00 PM
Saw this Sunday night (03/16) and enjoyed it. On the heels of three Broadway shows in two days, it was an interesting diversion.

We arrived at 7:20 for our appointed 7:30 entry time. We didn't appreciate getting there and having to queue up outside in the freezing cold. I was amazed at the number of people who didn't come with coats (especially the poor females in skimpy cocktail attire) and were made to stand out there as well waiting for the doors to open. Perhaps the producers

Queen of the Night  Mar 18 2014, 03:04:56 PM
Saw this Sunday night (03/16) and enjoyed it. On the heels of three Broadway shows in two days, it was an interesting diversion.

We arrived at 7:20 for our appointed 7:30 entry time. We didn't appreciate getting there and having to queue up outside in the freezing cold. I was amazed at the number of people who didn't come with coats (especially the poor females in skimpy cocktail attire) and were made to stand out there as well waiting for the doors to open. Perhaps the producers

Bullets Over Broadway on TDF  Mar 18 2014, 01:49:13 PM
I saw this Saturday evening (03/15) and so wanted to love it. My excitement level was soaring when the curtain went up and the show was off to a huge start. Fantastic sets, glorious costumes, a catchy score, a seemingly perfect cast. By the time we finished the wildly outrageous I Want A Hot Dog For My Roll, I was thinking it was going to be the best show of the season.

But then, something happened. I can't say exactly what but about 2/3 through Act One, I found myself bored. Really

A Raisin in the Sun Previews  Mar 18 2014, 11:18:17 AM
I saw the 03/15 matinee from second row orchestra and found it very enjoyable. I felt the cast did an excellent job with the females outshining the males but I attritube that more to how the parts were written. Washington was absolutely believable as a 40-year-old and his performance seemed heartfelt and not the sleepwalk others have hinted at. I'm currently working through all the seasons of St. Elsewhere and it's amazing to note how little he has aged--and how good of an actor he was even b
Late Night Theater  Feb 24 2014, 02:04:40 PM
Sex Tips For Straight Women From A Gay Guy 10pm Fridays

It's not late night but if you really want to squeeze in a lot of shows:

The new Rockettes show at Radio City, Heart And Lights. It has some 11AM and 2PM shows on Thursdays and Fridays, and some 11AM and 5PM shows on Saturdays. April and early May thus far. It runs approximately 90 minutes.

All The Way Previews  Feb 18 2014, 11:13:36 AM
Saw it Sunday night and it clocked in at 2:50. A wonderful night of theatre with an outstanding cast led by the brilliant Cranston (and I've yet to see an episode of Breaking Bad). I hope he's moisturizing well because that constant scrunching of all of his facial muscles has the potential to etch some deep ruts into his face.

If you are not intrigued by history and the game of politics, this may not be for you. Then again, I don't consider myself an avid fan of either and still fou

Outside Mullingar Begins Performances!  Feb 18 2014, 10:58:51 AM
I found this to be mostly a snoozer. In fact, I think I did doze off once or twice during the first 45 minutes or so of not much happening. Things finally pick up when the leads are alone together on stage but then the dialog meandered into ridiculous territory and made the whole thing rather throwaway for me. Nice performances but a rather pointless 90 minutes.
Machinal Reviews  Feb 18 2014, 10:50:10 AM
I saw Machinal over the weekend and thought it was outstanding. Powerful and haunting and downright creepy with jaw-dropping technical elements right out of the gate. The sound and set design evoke Sleep No More mixed with The Twilight Zone and if this doesn't win the Tony for Best Set Design of a Play, there is no justice on Broadway. Rarely does a play impress me like Machinal did and I am very grateful Roundabout dug this up and gave it such superior treatment.
Rocky Previews  Feb 18 2014, 10:39:28 AM
I saw the third preview (Saturday Eve) and was totally unimpressed. Spectacle over substance pretty much sums up my opinion of it. It was big and loud and well, just painfully empty. At least Spider-Man gave us Rise Above. Other than the quintessential Rocky Theme and Eye Of The Tiger--both lifted from the movie--the score is instantly forgettable and at times, cringeworthy (Mick's number). For me, a really strong score might have saved Rocky The Musical.

The two stoppages due to

Bridges of Madison County Previews  Jan 23 2014, 09:43:46 AM
Patash and After Eight: That's exactly what I meant by "beautiful but forgettable", BOMC reminded me of The Light in The Piazza in many ways. The orchestrations sounded beautiful (and perhaps being able to look into the pit and watch the orchestra made them especially so), the voices sounded beautiful but in the end, beauty isn't always memorable. Just like with people, it takes a lot more than beauty for a score to make a lasting impression.

Bridges of Madison County Previews  Jan 21 2014, 10:21:57 AM
I saw the third preview (Saturday evening). I wanted to love it but unfortunately, did not. Maybe it's because I had seen Beautiful earlier in the day and was still high from Mueller's incredible performance.

The score is beautiful at times but forgettable. The leads deliver excellent performances and were in wonderful voice but I agree with others' comments about them being too young for the roles. Novel and film aside, they just seemed too young to be experiencing the angst, the l

THE SNOW GEESE Reviews  Dec 2 2013, 02:55:53 PM
I should have heeded the majority here and ditched my subscription tickets but I so wanted to see Mary-Louis Parker. I saw it the weekend before Thanksgiving and other than the wonderful set design, it really was dreadful. Why it was written and furthermore, why it was brought to the stage is beyond me. An absolute bore and such a waste of fine talent. The woman behind me was fast asleep by intermission, was still sleeping when the second act began, and was still out when it finally ended.
MOTHERS AND SONS books the Golden  Dec 2 2013, 02:45:23 PM
And tickets are now on sale to Audience Rewards members.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You