Mothers and Sons Previews

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#1Mothers and Sons Previews
Posted: 2/22/14 at 12:30am

Previews begin Feb 23rd. I'm especially curious about this play. As per usual; any and all reports are most welcome.

Updated On: 2/22/14 at 12:30 AM

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#2Mothers and Sons Previews
Posted: 2/22/14 at 12:41am

Seeing this March 14th and couldn't be more excited.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#2Mothers and Sons Previews
Posted: 2/22/14 at 9:10am

I saw the premiere production in Pennsylvania and would recommend it highly to anyone. Tyne Daly is giving a masterful performance. Sad that Manoel Felciano didn't continue on with the production--he really was fantastic, Daly's equal in every way--but I'm looking forward to seeing Fred Weller. I'll be seeing it again some time soon.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#3Mothers and Sons Previews
Posted: 2/22/14 at 10:49am

Got my tickets for 3/5.
For the last 2 weeks, I have been DVRing Judging Amy which I found airs 2x in the afternoon on something called the "up" channel. I have loved my mini Tyne fests and can't wait to see her in Mothers and Sons.

ryantbo2 Profile Photo
ryantbo2
#4Mothers and Sons Previews
Posted: 2/22/14 at 10:55am

not sure how much different it is going to be but saw the run at Bucks County Playhouse. Great performances and Tyne Daly is a powerhouse. Want to go back and see if they make changes

ryankon
#5Mothers and Sons Previews
Posted: 2/22/14 at 8:32pm

Steggert is worthy of mention as well. The production in Bucks County was quite powerful and Daly is indeed a force of nature. Can't wait to see it on Broadway.

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#6Mothers and Sons Previews
Posted: 2/23/14 at 10:40am

Anyone going this afternoon....I'm going to try to get work out of the way and go.

gstrus2 Profile Photo
gstrus2
#7Mothers and Sons Previews
Posted: 2/23/14 at 1:00pm

Is there a rush policy for this show?

abbagirl Profile Photo
abbagirl
#8Mothers and Sons Previews
Posted: 2/23/14 at 1:14pm

I asked the box ofc yesterday about rush and they didn't know yet; anyone try today?

iluvtheatertrash
#9Mothers and Sons Previews
Posted: 2/23/14 at 2:22pm

I'm here! If atone wants to say hi, I'm in third row mezz wearing a TARDIS hoodie.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#10Mothers and Sons Previews
Posted: 2/23/14 at 2:50pm

Please post your impressions!

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#11Mothers and Sons Previews
Posted: 2/23/14 at 3:44pm

I though I had my shows all slotted and picked out for spring break... Then I realized I forgot about this. Curious to hear how it is. It's either going to be Beautiful or this. Possibly If/Then depending on those first preview reviews. Can't wait to hear how it is.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

iluvtheatertrash
#12Mothers and Sons Previews
Posted: 2/23/14 at 5:53pm

I adored this. It's a quite, simple piece, but beautifully written and wonderfully performed. Tyne Daly is exquisite.

I'm not sure if the play will find an audience, and can't help but feel like it would've been better in a subscriber house. But I greatly enjoyed it, and was very moved.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#13Mothers and Sons Previews
Posted: 2/23/14 at 6:15pm

^ Wow, for some reason I assumed that this was an MTC production. I'm pretty surprised it's not being done by a nonprofit company.

iluvtheatertrash
#14Mothers and Sons Previews
Posted: 2/23/14 at 6:29pm

Me too.

CoreyRyan3
#15Mothers and Sons Previews
Posted: 2/23/14 at 6:42pm

I've got my ticket for March 8th!

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#16Mothers and Sons Previews
Posted: 2/23/14 at 10:19pm

I thought this was an MTC production for some reason too. Maybe I just have MASTER CLASS on the brain.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

perfectliar
#17Mothers and Sons Previews
Posted: 2/24/14 at 5:37am

The original rumor when Mothers and Sons was playing at Bucks County was that MTC was interested in transferring it.

There was never any official word on that, but here's the thread where it's mentioned: https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1061157

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#18Mothers and Sons Previews
Posted: 2/24/14 at 7:42am

MTC has a very strong relationship with McNally (they've produced something like 10 of his plays), so Mothers and Sons would probably have landed there if it had ended up at a nonprofit. McNally also has a strong relationship with the Philadelphia Theatre Company (Master Class, among others, was world premiered there), but this show is going the commercial route.

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#19Mothers and Sons Previews
Posted: 2/24/14 at 10:52am

Maybe it didn't cost a lot, so therefore they think they can make an easy profit? Thus far "Leading Lady In a Play" is kind of a ho-hum.

What's the story of the show? Design aspects?

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#20Mothers and Sons Previews
Posted: 2/24/14 at 1:09pm

*This post contains what some would likely consider to be spoilers, so read it at your own risk.

The play is a companion piece (a sequel of sorts) to McNally's earlier play ANDRE'S MOTHER. It takes place in present-day Manhattan. Katherine (Daly) is visiting the apartment of Cal (Weller), her late son's former partner. Her son (Andre) died twenty years earlier, of AIDS. Cal is now married to a younger man, Will (Steggert), and they have a young son. Katherine, who is somewhat homophobic (for lack of a better word) and who doesn't seem overly comfortable with Cal, is struggling with how society is progressing, so the play deals with issues like gay marriage and gay parenting. The play shows Katherine's interactions with Cal and his new family, and also addresses the loss Katherine and Cal felt when Andre died, and how they've lived their lives in the aftermath.

The set is Cal and Will's apartment on the Upper West Side. A typical, tasteful upper-middle-class apartment.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Will3700 Profile Photo
Will3700
#21Mothers and Sons Previews
Posted: 2/24/14 at 3:14pm

I am still hoping to see this in late June.Holding open a night on my trip for a while longer.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#22Mothers and Sons Previews
Posted: 2/25/14 at 10:40pm

Wow. I really loved this play tonight. Easily one of my favorite things so far this season.

Terrence McNally has provided the excellent cast with a top notch text to work with; the situation doesn't feel forced at all and the dialogue, peppered with hilarious one-liners, maintains a naturalism without sacrificing dramatic storytelling. I was moved without feeling manipulated, and he does it all with a central character who is rather unpleasant.

Since that character is played by Tyne Daly it's hard not to love her a little bit, and she certainly gets to be funny, so that helps. She doesn't understand the gay lifestyle and she doesn't want to either. She isn't an evil woman by any stretch, but she also isn't about to change her views for anyone. She is angry and has allowed her heart to callous over. It's a performance of fewer words and many subtle reactions.

Bobby Steggert plays Fred Weller's younger husband and he is passive aggressively militant about gay rights and being out and proud. She's the bigot and why should he be ashamed his life, right? And yet it was his character that I felt the most shame for. Why shouldn't we have compassion and understanding for people with different views than our own, even someone is as "wrong" as Daly's character is? How often have we seen Steggert play righteous indigation; I will never forget him yelling, "You have traveled everywhere, and learned NOTHING!!" red-faced and veins popping around his neck. Now all the righteousness is gone and I felt only disdain.

Fred Weller was very, very good and was easily my favorite character. I'm so used to him playing these dumb brute roles, like in Reasons To Be Happy, so I was pleased to see him branch out with this part.

Being in The Golden I couldn't help but think back to The Normal Heart revival and think of this piece as an extension of that story. What all those men fought for and went through to allow for this story to happen.

Do yourself a favor and go see this play- judging by the size of tonight's audience, you might not want to wait too long to buy your ticket either.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Scottsacto Profile Photo
Scottsacto
#23Mothers and Sons Previews
Posted: 2/25/14 at 10:56pm

Whizzer--I have been waiting to see your review on this. It is on my list of shows to see on my annual sojourn. Hopefully it will last until May!! Thanks!

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#24Mothers and Sons Previews
Posted: 2/25/14 at 11:05pm

Is it 80 minutes as the out of town reviews reported and regardless, did it feel like a full evening of theatre? As many of you know, and heckle me for, I'm not a fan of paying a hundred and fifty bucks for a brief one act.

Updated On: 2/25/14 at 11:05 PM

Videos