News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for wickedwitch2

Member Name: wickedwitch2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
 May 2 2023, 08:42:21 AM

UWS10023 said: "briansb said: "bwayphreak234 said: "If Colton Ryan slips in over Andrew Burnap, I will be so disappointed."

My sole Tony-wishlist item for this year is an Andrew Burnap nomination. I did love Camelot despite many detractors, and I'm pretty sure 95% of that was because of his performance.
"

Me too!
"

I agree.  This is the biggest disappointment of the morning (thus far) for me.

2022-2023 Tony Award Eligibility Rulings Thread
 Apr 28 2023, 05:25:22 PM

If it makes the cut, it would be Sorkin's first Tony nomination.  (Which would make for a great trivia question in about decade.)

Gyllenhaal’s Tevye?
 Apr 18 2023, 12:21:41 PM

I think he'd be very good.  If the movie goes forward, I expect either him or Andrew Garfield will end up getting cast as Tevye.

Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
 Apr 7 2023, 05:01:12 PM

I obviously have no clue what they're doing, but I have wondered if they tried to get Liza Minnelli for a cameo/small role.

WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
 Mar 29 2023, 03:44:24 PM

For those who have seen Camelot, do you think it will be eligible for Best Book?

Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
 Mar 26 2023, 03:27:29 PM

EAPEAPMO said: " If they take down Leading Actress, Score, Orchestratoins, Choreography, Scenic Design, Costume Design, Lighting Design, and Sound Design, all of which I think they're going to be at least nominated for (and probably in the lead for Actress, Orchestrations, Scenic Design and Costume Design), ?"

I 100% believe that Anna's great, but I'd be shocked if she's in the lead for a very competitive actress field.

Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
 Mar 22 2023, 03:46:07 PM

JasonC3 said: "In today's New York Times, "Camelot, Beloved but Befuddled, Gets the Aaron Sorkin Treatment" (gift link so no paywall).

from the article:

He made one key early decision that has guided his approach to the show: no supernatural elements.....
“It wasn’t that I don’t like magic — I do,” Sorkin said. “Nor were there commercial reasons — no producer wants to put on a marquee, ‘Now With No Magic!’ It was because I feel that this story, in particular, had a chance of landing more powerfully, more emotionally, if people felt real. If a problem can be solved by waving a magic wand, it doesn’t feel like much of a problem.”

"

Really interesting article, especially this bit:

"Sorkin quickly realized that two songs, in particular, posed problems: the sexist-sounding “How to Handle a Woman” and the classist-sounding “What Do the Simple Folk Do?”

“When I first started writing it, I thought, there’s an easy way to solve this: Don’t sing the songs,” Sorkin said.

But Sher asked Sorkin to reconsider, given fan fondness for the score. “There’s a reason we see ‘Camelot’,” Sorkin acknowledged, “and the reason isn’t me.”

So he came up with an alternative solution: humor. The songs are back, preceded by dialogue in which Guenevere preemptively defuses their sting with Sorkin-esque wit."

Mar 7 2023, 05:42:02 PM

Will Camelot/Sorkin be eligible for Best Book?

PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
 Feb 19 2023, 01:46:51 PM
Jarethan said: "I just don't understand why they haven’t started to offer discounts. Have to admit that I am waiting to see if they do. I purchased inexpensive discounts for Camelot and ADoll’s House, only to discover that they were offering discounts. Waiting on Parade…would like to sit in better seats for the same $$$."

It's puzzling. They'll need an early audience to build a buzz/word of mouth. (I'm assuming the quality is comparable to at NYCC.

Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
 Feb 2 2023, 08:31:53 AM

Add me to the list that thinks Colton comes off as a charisma void in the trailer.  It's really bad.  I only hope it's less noticeable on stage.

2022-2023 Tony Award Eligibility Rulings Thread
 Feb 2 2023, 07:40:22 AM

Luminaire2 said: "

1. Best performer in a dramatic leading role: Musical
  2. Best performer in a comedic leading role: Musical
  3. Best featured performer in a dramatic leading role:Musical
  4. Best featured performer in a comedic leading role: Musical
  5. Best performer in a dramatic leading role: Play
  6. Best performer in a comedic leading role: Play
  7. Best featured performer in a dramatic lead
 Jan 24 2023, 03:31:47 PM

I think musicals could be okay.  (I like the idea of splitting into comedies and dramas.)  But plays are heavily slanted to male roles. Plus, some people are just misogynistic. I think we could see a lot of years with 80-100% of the nominees are male.  And that helps nobody.  Furthermore, having the separate genders encourages the best playwrites to write roles for women.

An example this year in music: https://www.varsity.co.uk/music/24846

This is a problem with no good solutions, and for that reason, I'm not completely opposed to going to gender-less categories.  But let's not pretend there isn't a serious drawback to that.

Jan 22 2023, 02:45:37 PM

BETTY22 said: "I'm surprised this isn't selling better.

The show never exploded with commercial success - but I thought Ben's fan base would sell this out.
"

I'm not sure any actor could sell out a six month run of Parade at normal Broadway prices.

Jan 11 2023, 01:09:07 PM

If anybody was actually worried that they wouldn't be able to get tickets because a musical about lynching would sell out a 6 month run in 1 day, there were still hundreds of seats left for all the dates I was looking at in May.

Ben Platt and Micaela Diamond to star in NYCC Gala presentation of Parade
 Dec 24 2022, 10:34:26 PM

Add me to the list of people who doesn't think this can fill a Broadway theater for 6 months.  For this to work, they would need to be able to recoup in a much shorter time or have a much bigger star.  And even that might not be enough.

Broadway is a really hard sell right now, even when the show isn't about a lynching.

Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
 Dec 10 2022, 03:37:33 PM

Bill Snibson said: "Wait? You seriously think "Merrily" is a better show then "Company", "Sunday in the Park", "Sweeney", "ITW", "Night Music", "Follies" etc etc....

C'mon! "Merrily" has some pretty songs but it is a very flawed show...like very very flawed.
"

Merrily is my personal favorite of his shows.  Which I realize is not the same as best, but the music compensat

Commercial Flop to Hit Revival
 Nov 7 2022, 11:59:48 AM

I think Merrily is a more likely possibility for going the flop -> hit route.

Oct 21 2022, 12:34:27 PM

an article from March on the lack of magic: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lifestyle/arts/camelot-broadway-aaron-sorkin-bart-sher-1235121384/

I had heard the info third hand, and never bothered to confirm it until now.

“The story takes place in a real place at a real time,” detailed the Oscar-winning scribe who most recently wrote and directed Being the Ricardos, which snagged Oscar noms for Nicole Kidman and Javier Bardem. “Arthur can’t change himself into a hawk and there’s no magic forest. Even the origin story of the sword in the stone gets questioned. I like writing about heroes who don’t wear capes and I told Bart that I thought there was a powerful version of this story to be told that could give us a glimpse — ‘for one brief shining moment’ — of who we could be at our best, but the story had to take place in the real world. Bart looked frightened but he told me to go to work.”

Oct 21 2022, 12:07:45 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said:
Where on earth are you reading no magic?

Merlyn wasn't described as a wizard.  Plus, that matches with what was said in March when it was announced.  But I could be wrong.

Oct 21 2022, 09:19:51 AM

Based on the casting call, this looks to be a completely new book with no magic.  Is Sorkin rewriting the song lyrics too?  The title song is all about magic.

I can't decided if I'm intrigued or put off.

https://www.playbill.com/job/camelot-equity-video-submissions-principal-deadline-10-28-22/692aecf1-16bc-4b58-8846-08841a607a6b

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You