pixeltracker

CAMELOT Returns to Broadway - Reviews Thread

CAMELOT Returns to Broadway - Reviews Thread

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1CAMELOT Returns to Broadway - Reviews Thread
Posted: 3/28/22 at 3:04pm

https://variety.com/2022/legit/news/aaron-sorkin-camelot-revival-broadway-1235217074/?fbclid=IwAR2NK1NGG9fPdeSvS2Ke6GYRl3i_nR7CweJ7YY3oSgDA9EbphRsuC6VO1yk

Lerner & Loewe’s “Camelot,” that oft-old story of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table, will return to Broadway featuring a new book by Aaron Sorkin. That creative change may mean that Lancelot and Queen Guinevere will be doing a lot more walk and talks than they did in the original 1960 production or the 1967 film version.

The new production of “Camelot” is scheduled to begin performances on Nov. 3 and open on Dec. 8 at the Vivian Beaumont Theater. Casting and the design team for the revival will be announced at a later date. There have been some pretty incredible performers who have appeared in “Camelot” over the years with the likes of Julie Andrews, Robert Goulet, Richard Burton, Richard Harris and Vanessa Redgrave putting their stamp on pivotal roles.

Updated On: 4/12/23 at 03:04 PM

MemorableUserName
#2Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/28/22 at 3:06pm

https://deadline.com/2022/03/aaron-sorkin-bartlett-sher-broadway-camelot-revival-1234989228/

The Lincoln Center Theater revival of the 1960 musical will reunite Sorkin and Mockingbird director Bartlett Sher, with previews set to begin at Lincoln Center’s Vivian Beaumont Theater on Thursday, November 3, with an opening night of Thursday, December 8. Casting and design team will be announced later.

Updated On: 3/28/22 at 03:06 PM

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#3Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/28/22 at 3:09pm

I'm very fond of this show, though I usually end up depressed by the end. (Team Arthur forever -- what Guenevere sees in Lancelot I'll NEVER know.) I hope Sorkin doesn't go nuts with it. I always think that what this play needs is a light touch, something he's not exactly known for.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#4Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/28/22 at 3:09pm

Let the dream casting begin! 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#5Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/28/22 at 3:12pm

Denee Benton for Guenevere?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 3/29/22 at 03:12 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#6Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/28/22 at 3:14pm

I mean it’s gotta be Benanti, right? This is my dream to see a full scale revival of this show. I’m in heaven right now. 

Dollypop
#7Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/28/22 at 3:15pm

We all know that Laura Benanti will be Guinevere.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#8Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/28/22 at 3:18pm

Take my money, take my money...TAKE. MY. MONEY.

"Camelot" is one of my all time favorite musicals. 

Jordan Catalano
#9Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/28/22 at 3:23pm

I’m going to just say Kudisch as Arthur because I have to put it out into the universe. 

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#10Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/28/22 at 3:24pm

I wonder if Bart will cast Harry Hadden-Paton as King Arthur.

brdwybound04
#11Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway

I think it will star Paulo Szot and Kelli O’Hara!!!

Updated On: 3/28/22 at 03:24 PM

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#12Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway

This is really exciting. I revisited the score last week, and forgot how much I loved it. 

I wonder if anyone from the previous LCT benefit cast will be involved. 

At one point in the past, I'd say Kelli O'Hara for Guinevere...but now, I don't know.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#13Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway

If there's any show that has desperately needed a revised book, it's this. Should be great material for LCT.

Hope they don't go too old for Arthur. Richard Burton was only 35 when he originated it, and since then the casting seems to creep older and older (with Burton, Richard Harris, and Robert Goulet playing it into their 50s and beyond). There's something much more interesting about a young, impish king. Otherwise, it becomes "older man gets cucked by younger man."

Benanti would have been perfect for Guinevere, but similarly too old...if a 43-year-old is singing "where are the simple joys of Maidenhood?" you have to wonder what she's been up to the past 25 years!

Updated On: 3/28/22 at 03:24 PM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#14Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/28/22 at 3:31pm

I could not disagree more. I love the original book for Camelot I do not believe the show needs a new book but I love the score and I will keep an open mind.

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#15Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/28/22 at 3:37pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Hope they don't go too old for Arthur. Richard Burton was only 35 when he originated it, and since then the casting seems to creep older and older (with Burton, Richard Harris, and Robert Goulet playing it into their 50s and beyond). There's something much more interesting about a young, impish king. Otherwise, it becomes "older man gets cucked by younger man.""

Totally agree with this. 

Jordan Catalano
#16Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/28/22 at 3:44pm

How bout my Gyllenaal? He'd be amazing, since he's not doing "Sunday in the Park" anymore. 

Updated On: 3/28/22 at 03:44 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#17Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/28/22 at 3:45pm

How about these two as Broadway's next Arthur and Guinevere?

Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway

Updated On: 3/28/22 at 03:45 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#18Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/28/22 at 3:47pm

Doesn't Arthur need a booming baritone type voice like a Norm Lewis type voice? Or am I thinking of the wrong character. 

Is it the same set designer he always works with cause ugh.... I want something new. 

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#19Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/28/22 at 3:48pm

Very interested to see how Sorkin does. This will be his first musical, yes?

ATerrifyingAndImposingFigure
#20Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/28/22 at 3:49pm

Jordan Catalano said: "I’m going to just say Kudisch as Arthur because I have to put it out into the universe."

I’m all for Kudisch getting the big roles he deserves, but given the standard casting of non-singers as Arthur, I doubt they’d go for him for one of the most beautiful, operatic baritones on Broadway.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#21Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/28/22 at 3:51pm

RippedMan said: "Doesn't Arthur need a booming baritone type voice like a Norm Lewis type voice? Or am I thinking of the wrong character. Is it the same set designer he always works with cause ugh.... I want something new."

You're probably thinking of Lancelot (If Ever I Would Leave You, C'est Moi) who must be young and virile and have a beautiful baritone.

King Arthur was written for the limited vocal range of Richard Burton, and though more melodic than Higgins, there's a lot of talk-singing. It's a great part for an actor who can also sing––not a singer who acts.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#22Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/28/22 at 3:54pm

NOWaWarning said: "Very interested to see how Sorkin does. This will be his first musical, yes?"

His first produced musical (he was attached to Hugh Jackman's Houdini a few years back). But I believe he started as a musical theatre performer, and also tended bar at the original production of LA CAGE...not that one can learn musical-writing by osmosis, but considering this is a "polish" of the book, Sorkin should be fine. Especially with Sher and Bishop guiding him.

I'm guessing Arthur is going to get a couple of great Sorkin monologues.

Jordan Catalano
#23Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/28/22 at 3:57pm

ATerrifyingAndImposingFigure said: "Jordan Catalano said: "I’m going to just say Kudisch as Arthur because I have to put it out into the universe."

I’m all for Kudisch getting the big roles he deserves, but given the standard casting of non-singers as Arthur, I doubt they’d go for him for one of the most beautiful, operatic baritones on Broadway.
"

I just love you for saying that. And yes he’s too good for the role but people would worry about me if I didn’t at least throw it out there. Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway

VintageSnarker
#24Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/28/22 at 3:59pm

I like the score but I'm not as attached to the show as the last few LCT revivals so as long as they cast competent actors, I probably won't have many complaints. I always lose interest around the Mordred part. Maybe Sorkin can figure out how to end the show. I'm hoping for a good Lancelot and actors who can play the humor. 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#25Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/28/22 at 4:09pm

This is so exciting! I saw the most recent tour with Lou Diamond Phillips and Rachel York back in 2008, I believe. This will be stunning at the Beaumont for sure. Bartlett Sher really knows how to work with that space.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "