News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for TheHappyPhantom

Member Name: TheHappyPhantom
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Any future for The Gin Game?  Dec 24 2015, 06:04:23 PM

I know, given the low attendance and age of the performers, that this is a loonng shot, but as I won't be making it to NY this year, and I was wondering if anyone knew if they were planning any future productions of Gin Game or at least filming it. I hate that I won't be able to see these two performers, so if they did a LA production like Ms Tyson's last show, I would flip! Anyone heard anything?  

Hunchback needs A LOT of work if it's coming to Bday  Dec 15 2014, 10:33:56 PM
http://www.thehunchblog.com/2012/01/der-glockner-von-notre-dame-plot/

here's a link to a blog with photos of the German version we should've gotten instead of this mess. With the exception of them cutting the gargoyles, La Jolla is a joke.

Hunchback needs A LOT of work if it's coming to Bday  Dec 15 2014, 10:30:28 PM
I'm not saying they need to "rely" on tech, but it should be told at an adult level. The storytellers talk to the audience like we're kids and their constant narration is unnecessary and pauses the action. I'm not asking for more out of the 4 actors, I want them left alone to actually act. The narrators don't shut up for more than 2 minutes and when they talk they tell us things we can either clearly see, or that the awful storytelling is doing some cheapo version of, instead of doing it at a p
Hunchback needs A LOT of work if it's coming to Bday  Dec 15 2014, 04:52:59 PM
To clarify, I'm not talking about the singing chorus on stage. I'm talking about the storytellers. They made it feel like I was watching a kid's show the way they spoke and commented on the action. The singing choir sounded great. I stand by the need for it to be fully realized though and not done in symbolism. This should be as lavish and realistic as the design for Mary Poppins and Beauty and the Beast.
Hunchback needs A LOT of work if it's coming to Bday  Dec 15 2014, 04:00:29 PM
I just think the show is too epic to hold back with this style. If Mary Poppins can be told fully designed, this certainly can. This style is better suited for kid's shows and I feel a realism design and cutting the chorus would fix it. The singing was great, and I love the story however. My other issue is the cast felt too small for the festival and end battle. It looked empty to me.
Hunchback needs A LOT of work if it's coming to Bday  Dec 15 2014, 03:48:55 PM
I couldn't stomach the storytelling aspect. It should have been fully realized sets. It looked dirt cheap. Also, The narrative interruptions killed all emotional momentum. I agree the story is dark, but the way it's told is juvenile. The director was amateurish.
Hunchback needs A LOT of work if it's coming to Bday  Dec 15 2014, 03:35:21 PM
Just saw the La Jolla Playhouse production of Disney's Hunchback and as much as I love this film, this production was botched. The story remains dark, but it's done through storytelling. The whole thing feels like a children's theatre company describing even the most simplistic actions on stage as if you can't see them for yourself. The book was nothing but cliches and the new songs lack all the clever and quality lyrical rhyming that the film has. I expect even someone unfamiliar with the film
Fox's 'Grease': Live Version Of Musical To Air In 2015  May 2 2014, 04:10:19 PM
Could they have chosen a more terrible musical?? When are we gonna get a decent show produced for TV, not this mindless crap. The worst possible representation of musical theatre.
Naya Rivera NOT Fired From Glee After All!  May 2 2014, 04:08:50 PM
sorry...I confused this for a forum about theatre and Broadway, not god-awful TV shows.
SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE Opened 30 Years Ago Today  May 2 2014, 04:06:55 PM
Still one of, if not the most beautiful musical every written. Really hope Sondheim gives us one last great piece. Broadway is in desperate need of his brilliance.
If/Then for a teenager?  Apr 29 2014, 01:59:35 PM
Generally shows like that are more uncomfortable for the parents, then their kids. Teens hear all kinds of stuff. And cheating is hardly something they don't experience/understand. Don't dumb down what she's exposed to based on age stereotypes.
Lady Day  Apr 3 2014, 12:44:20 AM
LOL! Thank you!
Lady Day  Apr 2 2014, 01:04:40 AM
Anyone see the previews? Plan on seeing it in May. Could Audra be earning Tony #6 already? Thoughts?
Ahmanson announces their worst season ever  Mar 8 2014, 01:01:31 PM
Yes, depth in LA. That's a very uneducated statement. These are children's theatre musicals that belong at the Pantages. Ahmanson audiences are used to more.
Ahmanson announces their worst season ever  Mar 8 2014, 12:44:13 PM
The Ahmanson is one of the only sources for good legitimate theatre in LA and other than the stellar Cicely Tyson performance in Trip To Bountiful, this is their worst season ever. Cinderella (yuck), Matilda (even worse), Riverdance (okay, but is it theatre??), and then Dame Edna... What is going on? I was only drivel like Bring it On was a one time thing, but apparently they're going the way of the Pantages and just bringing in any slop they can find. Where's this years Follies, or Clybourne Park? Where's the depth? So disappointed.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/culture/la-et-cm-cicely-tysontrip-to-bountiful-ahmanson-theatre-20140213,0,5089742.story#axzz2vOQg2uCK

Best Performance You've Seen?  Jul 23 2013, 03:16:25 PM
For me it was hands down Cicely Tyson in Trip To Bountiful. Beautiful, authentic, heart-breaking. So glad I saw it.
ROCK OF AGES gets a new  Jul 23 2013, 03:14:48 PM
This show is STILL open??
re: Songs That Make You Cry No Matter How Many Times You Listen to them....  Jul 23 2013, 03:14:14 PM
Some of the songs I hear listed make me realize the people hear have never felt any real emotion. Crying to Wicked... really???

that being said, the people listing Sondheim get a thumbs up.

Bunheads  Jul 23 2013, 03:10:27 PM
That's what you get for calling your show Bunheads! Who's gonna watch that??? No one wants to say they have to go home and watch "bunheads". What the hell? And I hope Sutton stays off the stage. All she does is mindless fluff.
Cinderella Cast Recording Exclusive First Listen  Apr 30 2013, 03:55:54 PM
I'm shocked by Laura's voice. She lost that nasally whine she had all through Bonnie and Clyde. She sounded terrible in that show.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You