News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for bawoman

Member Name: bawoman
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Favourite Phantom?  Sep 22 2020, 01:52:48 PM

Michael Crawford just cannot be beat in my good. The vulnerability and loneliness he projected, as well as the eeriness, the elegance and the pride. His body movements were EVERYTHING. Some don't take to him much because he has a particular kind of voice, but I would look beyond that and see how deeply  he is able to express his emotions through his singing. His finals lairs are utterly heartbreaking. Also, as good as the Original cast recording is, I would recommend listening to som

ALW Participating In COVID-19 Vaccine Trial  Aug 15 2020, 01:11:48 AM

Seriously, there seems to be a stupid wiff of sophmoric  Webber hate on herewho would not be exactly objective in the first place. He has done more and spoken up more than anyone for the theater these days, so I applaud him and feel relieved that at least he is attempting to do something. And for those trying to crap on it saying its for the money, like he is the only guilty man in freaking Broadway to care about that. Or are we on a board for off off off Broadway independent theaters or

Do you think the ùPhantom film should have been made earlier?  Jul 25 2020, 02:08:49 AM

jesse benet said: "g.d.e.l.g.i. said: "I don't know if it should have been made earlier, but if I had cast it and picked the creative team in 2004, it would've looked something like this:

Director - Baz Luhrmann(just imagine that "Masquerade"...)
Choreographer - Rob Marshall

Phantom - Hugh Jackman
Christine - Anne Hathaway
Raoul - Ewan McGregor
Carlotta - Kristin Chenoweth
M. Firmin - Nathan Lane

Do you think the ùPhantom film should have been made earlier?  Jul 24 2020, 11:30:04 AM

g.d.e.l.g.i. said: "bawoman said: "Not a bad list maybe 10 years ago or 15, when the film was made, but now? Most of those people are way too old now for their parts/"

Good thing I said "if I had cast it and picked the creative team in 2004" then. Try reading a little more closely next time.
"

I apologize then, you are right.Should have read that better.

Do you think the ùPhantom film should have been made earlier?  Jul 23 2020, 05:16:55 PM

g.d.e.l.g.i. said: "I don't know if it should have been made earlier, but if I had cast it and picked the creative team in 2004, it would've looked something like this:

Director - Baz Luhrmann(just imagine that "Masquerade"...)
Choreographer - Rob Marshall

Phantom - Hugh Jackman
Christine - Anne Hathaway
Raoul - Ewan McGregor
Carlotta - Kristin Chenoweth
M. Firmin - Nathan Lane
M. André - Matthew Br

Do you think the Phantom film should have been made earlier?  Jul 22 2020, 07:55:42 PM

MikeInTheDistrict said: "I agree with everyone who said it should just have been made by someone other than Schumacher, regardless of when it was made. Phantom4ever in another thread mentioned that the film boosted dipping ticket sales for the Broadway production and kept that production alive, so there's that.

I don't know if the 90s style of filmmaking, especially large period pieces like this that had some elements that could easily become hokey with the wrong t

Do you think the Phantom film should have been made earlier?  Jul 22 2020, 07:50:15 PM

I mean, considering the stars would have been Michael Crawford and Sarah Brightman over Gerard Butler and Emmy Rossum, I say, hell yeah......Sadly, ALW and SB divorced and it wasnt mean to be

Favorite Christine Daae  Jul 21 2020, 05:46:21 PM

Globefan said: "greensgreens said: "Dale Kristien in LA with Crawford. I believe she’s still the only actress to not have an alternate. Such a strong actress and an equally talented singer. And to leave such a lasting memory in Crawford’s shadow says it all. I also give props to Michael Piontek, one of the stronger Raoul’s I’ve seen. That cast was pretty special."

I wonder how Dale managed to get them to let her do all eight shows

“We See You White American Theater” Publishes Demands  Jul 9 2020, 01:39:28 AM

Reverse racism doesn't exist, because it is just that, racism. According to the official definitions anyway. I am not saying context doesn't mater and power constructions don't exist, but racism is racism.

Also, if you have the power to make me feel bad for something I have no responsibility in or I can't help, you have the power to be racist.

“We See You White American Theater” Publishes Demands  Jul 9 2020, 12:55:06 AM

jonah3500 said: "I’m surprised nobody has started a thread on this yet.

We See You WAT, which has gotten close to 150,000 signatures on their petition about racism in the theater community, has published a 31page list of demands for American Theater. A few demands that stick out to me:

• Rename 50% of theaters after BIPOC artists
  • Do away with main stage and second stage content at nonprofit theaters
  • Have 50% BIPOC staff in every element of theater
  • Reserve early ticket sales exclusively for BIPOC audiences
  • Abolish 10 out of 12s and 6 day rehearsal weeks, as they are “seeped in capitalist and white supremacist culture.”
  • Whether or not there is any nudity, every show must have an intimacy director.

There are many other demands in the document, but those are just a few that stuck out to me. I suggest reading the full document to get the full picture.

Any thoughts on this?
"

I would have thoughts if reading that hadn't killed my renaiming brain cells

Favorite Christine Daae  Jul 1 2020, 04:10:19 PM

Princeton2 said: "For me Sarah Brightman is the pinnacle as she just has this unique other worldliness about her that fits the story so well

Aside Sarah Brightman for me its Gina Beck. She nailed every aspect of the role and her with Ramin Karimloo and Simon Bailey formed a very powerful trio that I've not seen better.

I know she has her fans but I dont get the Sierra Boggess appeal. To me she has a strong voice but doesnt have any light or shade in it and s

Favorite Christine Daae  Jul 1 2020, 04:07:03 PM

greensgreens said: "Dale Kristien in LA with Crawford. I believe she’s still the only actress to not have an alternate. Such a strong actress and an equally talented singer. And to leave such a lasting memory in Crawford’s shadow says it all. I also give props to Michael Piontek, one of the stronger Raoul’s I’ve seen. That cast was pretty special."

Apparently Dale and Crawford got along so well they asked r if she could do all the shows withou

Favorite Christine Daae  Jul 1 2020, 04:06:05 PM

Favorite Christine Daae  Jun 29 2020, 02:04:25 PM

To me Sierra has a beautiful voice but I dont care at all for her acting. She hams it up tremendously imo.

Favorite Christine Daae  Jun 29 2020, 03:32:48 AM

As far as voice only, I still have to go with Sarah Brightman.

as far as the total package, voice and performance Gina Beck.Most passionate, head strong, sexy version I have seen of the character to date.

The Great “Bright” Way  Jun 26 2020, 06:42:30 PM

Highland Guy said: "bawoman said: "white is the color of purity in most of Western Civilization."

"

The Great “Bright” Way  Jun 26 2020, 06:39:17 PM

WayTooBroadway said: ""white is the color of purity in most of Western Civilization."

As pure as Melania Trump. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
"

Obviously meant it symbolically. In India, it's red. I actually like that better : )

The Great “Bright” Way  Jun 26 2020, 06:37:48 PM

HogansHero said: "bawoman said: "white is the color of purity in most of Western Civilization. If people with infantile brains can't differentiate between the actual color white and the name we give to the caucasian race, then it's up to them to grow a few brain cells"

Once I undrop my jaw, all I can do is urge you to stand back and look at the magnitude of the white privilege oozing from your post.
"

It is important to discern be

The Great “Bright” Way  Jun 26 2020, 02:30:38 PM

HogansHero said: "Broadway61004 said: "is this something that a large number of people are actually offended by? ... But I'm just wondering if this is actually something a lot of people are upset about or not."

This highlights exactly what's wrong with the reasoning that has come into high relief as a result of the current protests. Everything is not a poll; it's about a system that reinforcesmindsets (white in origin, black in consequence).

The Great “Bright” Way  Jun 26 2020, 02:25:28 PM

Broadway61004 said: "The phrase itself is not racist in any way, however if people are truly offended by it, then sure, I see no reason not to change it (especially as it's hardly used anymore anyway).

With that said, though, is this something that a large number of people are actually offended by? The Whoopi interview was the only place that I've personally heard this mentioned and she seemed to say it more as a one-off "well my friend had this one suggestion

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You