News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for wallowinbathtubgin

wallowinbathtubgin Profile Photo
Member Name: wallowinbathtubgin
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Altarholics
 Apr 4 2006, 06:41:58 PM
Look, to be completely fair, there really are CRAZY fans in the Altar Boyz world. The kind that make it incredibly unenjoyable to attend the show. I have sat near people that made me feel like getting up and walking out of the theatre. I have seen a fan stand to give an actor an ovation from the second or third row after his solo... when no one else does and the moment didn't warrant that kind of reaction.

But I have never seen anything even remotely like that from any of the girls

re: Altarholics
 Apr 4 2006, 05:02:53 PM
Oooh, is this gonna be another Rentheads vs. Altarholics thread? Warn me; I might wanna go get popcorn.
re: Any Lestat Supporters?
 Apr 3 2006, 06:02:21 PM
Definitely a big Lestat supporter. I was really nervous, but maybe that's part of why I love it as much as I do. I expected to be disappointed, and when it didn't suck, I was pleasantly surprised. The performances (along with a good deal of the music) are honestly what make this show so great in my eyes. The dialogue/story/etc. are lacking, but I look forward to seeing in NY (as I've only seen the SF version of the show).

Then again... what do I know? I thought last year's Miracle

re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
 Mar 28 2006, 07:35:08 PM
Some of those kids are musical theatre majors who saw Wicked once and never went back. :) I can't stand Idina Menzel's voice and happen to think Drew Sarich has a gorgeous voice.

The girl that made the initial comment used the word she thought was appropriate to describe what she was hearing, and I ("Sunday" on there) said that I understood what she was talking about.

I hate reading comments like "Tell those kids..."

Everyone has cranky moments. :)

Mar 28 2006, 05:45:57 PM
Eponine:

I'm "Sunday" on the Lestat Boards. Yes, I agreed with Kat that Drew can get nasally sometimes. For the most part, its only noticeable when he's going back and forth between falsetto and (a perfect, clear, amazing) tenor. I haven't caught it in Lestat (yet), but you can hear it quite a bit on Say It.

He's not a "god", haha. Imperfection is a given.

Mar 28 2006, 01:43:10 PM
LMAO --- agreed on the SF ending bit, Mother's.

If they ever decided to make the book (NOT MOVIE) Queen of the Damned a musical, Drew would get my vote as Lestat, but as things stand, I'm pretty sure I want Mr. Sarich right where he is.

Mar 28 2006, 01:27:08 PM
You genuinely liked the SF ending, Eponine?

To me, it seemed completely out of place, one more spot where everything was too bright and shiney in an obviously "gothic", dark musical. Too "I'm Ok, You're Ok --- WE ALL FORGIVE YOU, LESTAT!" for my taste.

Aaaaand, just for good measure, Drew Sarich = amazing. :)

Mar 28 2006, 01:48:27 AM
I think everyone (whether you saw it Saturday or back in SF) will have to hold your breath on Tony noms, but guessing is loads of fun, can't deny that. (There are whole threads for that, though, and honestly, this thread has probably gotten off track enough haha). Unless they've SIGNIFICANTLY beefed up his role, I sincerely doubt he'd qualify as a lead.

Noseworthy lacked any sort of passion, though I didn't completely hate his Armand and wouldn't have really cared either way if he'd s

Mar 28 2006, 01:32:08 AM
He was! He headlined Hedwig in Berlin at the Glashaus Arena. There are pictures on his official website (was sarich.de, but I think its just drewsarich.com now). He also keeps a very amusing "blog" style news page there.

There's more information on drewsarich-page.net (http://www.drewsarich-page.net/enghedwig2.html) --- a very well updated fan page with a dedicated webmistress.

----

updated: It is http://www.drewsarich.com (and just a note, the drewsarich-page.net, while more informative and thorough, is a fan page run by a girl named Sabine. Its fantastic, but not official.)

Mar 28 2006, 01:06:28 AM
If you have the chance, pick up the Der Glöckner recording (ebay is your best bet), Hair - Vienna Cast, and his solo album, Say It (the latter two are, to my knowledge, both readily available on footlight).

Mar 28 2006, 12:54:19 AM
He's a fantastically talented actor and singer.

I can't speak to his attractiveness... haha, but he's certainly a talent to be reckoned with. I'm amazed how quickly he's gained a following from his short time in Lestat after quite a long time of a pretty much strictly European following (with a smattering of Der Glöckner fans elsewhere).

Mar 28 2006, 12:24:11 AM
No one said you couldn't say it stinks. Everyone's opinion is valid. I'm only annoyed when people are so quick to say it's doomed to an early cancellation. The whole point of an out of town preview is to get reactions --- good AND bad. :)
 Mar 28 2006, 12:15:39 AM
I love your new avatar, btw, Eponine. :)

I think it was WaltSummersPI who said it best, paraphrasing: "BWW and ATC make up such a small michrochosm of the theatre-going public." Everyone that I've heard from outside of these boards (which, as informative/amusing as they can be, tend to lean toward a very elitist attitude) has found more to love than hate in this show, even in SF.

We'll see, I guess... :)

Mar 27 2006, 11:56:02 PM
But. I. Wasn't. Criticizing. It.

I specifically said that I'm giddy about the changes and looking forward to them. If I was sitting here pronouncing death on it after having only seen it in SF, then yes, that's ridiculous.

And there are some people that are doing that, which is why I felt the need to pipe up (something I don't do often AT ALL). I'm just trying to say that not everyone who saw the SF production hated it, not everyone is gearing up for an early funeral.

Mar 27 2006, 11:28:35 PM
That's totally fine. After all, discrediting other people's opinions is just so much fun.

I understand what you're saying, but I genuinely think that's a rather narrow way of looking at things. Are you going to say the same thing when people who just see the previews in NY state their opinions after the show has its official opening (after countless more changes are made)?

Mar 27 2006, 11:19:33 PM
I was sitting by my phone, waiting for the news about the NY preview. I was literally giddy to hear that "Origin of the Species" has gone the way of the dinosaurs. (As well as the changes in general to Lestat's character, especially the sexual energy that was sorely lacking in SF.)

Its strange, because I have been a fan of the Vampire Chronicles (at least up to Blood and Gold, the latter books all deal with the Mayfair Witches and that's just... annoying.) for a decade now and fully

re: Closing notices galore at Dodger Stages
 Nov 10 2005, 02:24:52 AM
I'm not surprised A Mother, A Daughter, and A Gun is closing... maybe just that its closing so soon, but I am a little more shocked that Musical of Musicals is shutting down.

On a better note, Drumstruck seems like its doing well! As does Trailer Park (despite a few less than enthusiastic reviews, it really is a fantastic show)!

re: Rentheads vs Altarholics
 Jul 11 2005, 07:32:32 AM
I can honestly say that I'm someone who has loved Rent since 1998 and has camped out (and caught killer colds) for more than a few shows (I love my Benny's, what can I say...). I've seen the show 43 times (I know this isn't a lot compared to some, but I live in Texas --- so this is as big a number as I'm likely to get for ANY show), and I wouldn't give up the friends I've made in that show for ANYTHING.

I do love my RENTheads. (And I'm a little sad that I'm no longer a part of that co

re: Inspiring Musicals
 Jul 10 2005, 08:06:50 PM
Debbie Does Dallas, hands down
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You