News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for pagereynolds

Member Name: pagereynolds
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
 Mar 5 2024, 03:04:55 PM

Wardelljclark2018 said: "The complaints about the book don't matter, just look at the Tony nominations and wins from the 1992 production."

This is just a weird thing to say. 1992 was 30 years ago The complaints about the book working now absolutely matter.

NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
 Mar 5 2024, 03:02:33 PM

Synecdoche2 said: "Wardelljclark2018 said: "The response from dear friends, artist in the community, and at large have been overwhelming to this production. You come on this board, and mostly complaints...its fascinating,"

It's a time-honored tradition. White shows are "surprisingly good" whereas Black shows are "disappointing". Robert O'Hara's productionis spectacular, with dozens of artists performing at an insanely high

Feb 22 2024, 11:26:42 PM

Matt Rogers said: "This will probably be an unpopular opinion but I saw this tonight andfound it to be pretty excruciating, overall.

Great choreography,and seeing Leslie Uggums was amazing.

However, the sound was not great and it was impossible to hear lyrics clearly. I was in the back, and no one around me had any idea what was going on.

Well, hopefully people enjoy this. I did not.

"

We thought it was... fine?

Ridiculous Motown question
 Feb 19 2024, 04:30:17 PM

I've been trying to look this up all over the internet, to no avail, so maybe someone remembers.

Towards the end of the first act of Motown, there's some sort of gunfire or explosion set off. Does anyone remember what it is and how it plays into the plot?

Back To The Future previews
 Jul 12 2023, 09:26:35 AM

Leaf Coneybear said: "Oh love, we've had movies from the last millennium turned into musicals for decades now. Nothing new, and the vast majority flop."

Very fair! As I said, many of these I do actually enjoy. Someone made the point that Ragtime is technically an adaption as well as and I adore it. I guess it just seems like more and more of these shows that are just there to make money and not to actuallydosomething with the material. Like, what

Jul 3 2023, 08:03:28 AM

R. GreenFinch said: ""Is this now a thing, opening the house at 7:45? They do that regularly in community theater and now regional houses and I find it completely obnoxious."

Yes, because they usually have things to run or fix before then. These are real people working to keep things safe.

I'm surprised you're dragging community and regional theaters in particular, who are usually underfunded and dealing with the resources they have. E

Jul 2 2023, 10:04:01 AM

starlightlocamotion said: "The show won Best Musical at the oliver awards last season. Beating out the likes of FROZEN & MOULIN ROUGE. While that might seem a low bar to some, I find it to be a pretty encouraging sign that this show has legs."

I don't think this really means anything. Broadway is a lot different from the West End. It's far more likely that this show won't even be open next spring come awards time. Not to say anything about it being go

Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
 Jun 25 2023, 12:04:05 PM

singer234 said: "Reminds me of Taylor Louderman. I don’t think she even finished sophomore year at Michigan before Bring It On snatched her up and the rest is history. I’d be surprised if Anna doesn’t continue working while completing her studies somehow."

Michaela Diamond as well, was headed to school when she was cast in the Cher Show.

Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
 Jun 25 2023, 10:47:49 AM

Auggie27 said: "I was at the matinee, and felt transported. From the first notes of the harp in the overture, thru the evocative midcentury Italian signatures, to the standalone numbers we all love, the score is rapturously presented. I don't understand the reservations about the Miles vocals; to my ears, she is a discerning singing actor who saves her biggest effects for the moments requiring them -- she eschews volume for volume sake -- and "Fable" is perfectly rendered as the cathartic conclusion. But I especially appreciated her well-considered "Dividing Day," which has a subtle sense of exploration; this Margaret figures it all out as she sings. Miles is a thoughtful singing actor (listen again to the way she explains the King in "Something Wonderful." And as many have noted, the reprise of "The Beauty Is" offers something beyond interpretation. It's a gorgeous production, the airy fluidity of Chay Yew's staging making the story surprisingly intimate. Certainly for that house. My hope: that it might return to a B'way house for 10 weeks next summer when the rising star is available again, between years at the University of Michigan. Probably the only hope."

I assume that if transferring was an option that a starring role on Broadway would take precedence to your sophomore year of college.

Kelli O'Hara, Brian d'Arcy James to star in DAYS OF WINE & ROSES musical from LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA team
 May 24 2023, 12:29:59 PM

It absolutely matches the source material. The only improvement was to create the child as a bit more of a character.

Kelli O'Hara, Brian d'Arcy James to star in DAYS OF WINE & ROSES musical from LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA team
 May 24 2023, 12:19:24 PM

bwayphreak234 said: "ColorTheHours048 said: "Oof. This was a chore and a half to sit through. Starting from the Very Special Episode book; to the hideous, atonal score; to the wooden performances of even Brian and Kelli; to the baffling use of the ensemble (if I saw one more person cross the stage looking at the lead couple in disgust, I swear to God). I’m just so perplexed by why anyone thought this needed to be a musical, let alone why we’re getting such a high

May 24 2023, 09:47:13 AM

ColorTheHours048 said: "JasonC3 said: "Not debating the merits of the show (which i don't see until this weekend), but wouldn't just about anything from Guettel right now get a reasonable production and some higher profile stars potentially wanting to be a part of it?"

I mean, duh. I’m saying it’s so rough and, honestly, amateurish looking and sounding, that I’m kind of shocked it’s here in this moment with such incredible talent wasted. And then I went back and listened to Guettel’s demos and so much of it is unchanged, I can’t help but feel this is just… it.

Obviously Brian and Kelli have incredible instruments, and they technically sound lovely and as remarkable as ever, but who cares when the music and lyrics are so ugly and bland.
"

I'm not sure bland is the right word, especially for the lyrics. But inappropriate, yes. Those characters are in no way using those lyrics to express how they feel.

May 22 2023, 12:14:31 PM

halfhourcheckwithmerman said: "The book is a bit more iffy... you can definitely tell it's written by a man as the story more revolves around Joe, and Kirsten is more the passive one you feel sorry for. And why tellthisaddiction story, the well-off white couple in the 50s, etc, etc... I could say more about my issues with the book, but that's all nitpick-y, and when a show is this original and caring and -- to quote an earlier poster -- "endlessly gorgeous,"

May 17 2023, 08:23:50 AM

Jimmyb1969 said: "I love O’Hara and James but give me a break. Two 50 year olds- give or take try and play a young couple in their 20’s. Nope. I didn’t buy it. Do they give good performances. Yes. Did I believe them? NO. And there’s nothing commercial about it. And there could have been."

There's nothing that says Joe and Kirsten are supposed to be in their 20s, and um, it's the theater, and also a show set more than a decade. 

May 13 2023, 12:11:59 PM

Ravenclaw said: "jacobsnchz14 said: "To those who have seen the film and the musical, is their introductory scene at the reception desk and elevator still there? Lemmon and Remick play off of each other very well there and was curious whether it's a scene or song in the show."

I haven't seen the film, but the two characters meet on a boat (a cruise ship?) in this version. Introduces a water motif that runs throughout the play (and there''

May 9 2023, 12:50:57 PM

halfhourcheckwithmerman said: "For those who have seen this, how big is the orchestra? I'd expect not a lot from off-broadway, but still..."

Six musicians: keyboard, piano, percussion, drums, reed and bass.

Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
 Mar 25 2023, 04:57:11 PM

EAPEAPMO said: "Strange Lupone said: "pagereynolds said: "I feel like there's a huge discrepancy right now between what people are posting here and the folks on ATC who mostly seem to have really disliked it.

Also interested in hearing the actual run time -- ATC says over 3 hours with a 1 hour 40 minute first act.
"

I lurk at ATC, though infrequently. I prefer the folks and opinions over here. The folks at ATC like to find what&rsq

PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
 Mar 25 2023, 04:49:48 PM

I think also what sort of encapsulates the idea that Jews were absolutely not seen as merely white back then, in the South, is the scene where they are complaining about the "Jew money" coming in to defend Leo Frank, and it has to be pointed out that Henry Ford probably doesn't have :Jew money".

Mar 25 2023, 04:29:54 PM

Anyone going to a first preview is going to be primed to be overly enthusiastic. The overtly negative reviews over at ATC seem to portend that this isn't nearly as good as people think.

Mar 25 2023, 03:39:16 PM

Sutton Ross said: "pagereynolds said: "I feel like there's a huge discrepancy right now between what people are posting here and the folks on ATC who mostly seem to have really disliked it.

Do you mean an opinion?

No offense, I don't think anyone here takes your reviews seriously.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You