pixeltracker

Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!

Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#1Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/14/22 at 12:06pm

Here we go! OF NOTE: There are no book-revisionists listed or talk of revisals in the copy. It's standard protocol for the book to be trimmed or adapted for Encores (I would expect some edits in Dear World and Oliver!), but perhaps they learned something from the past season. Every show is different, but a work can still be reinvented for modern eyes without changing the text significantly.

THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA
February 1 – 5, 2023
Directed by Chay Yew, Starring Ruthie Ann Miles

DEAR WORLD
March 15 – 19, 2023
Directed and Choreographed by Josh Rhodes, Starring Donna Murphy

Lionel Bart’s OLIVER! 
May 3 – 14, 2023
Directed by Lear deBessonet

EDIT: Mary-Mitchell Campbell has been announced as Music Director for the series, though she is not announced as the MD or conductor for any of these specific productions –– so perhaps those details are still up in the air.

Updated On: 4/27/23 at 12:06 PM

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#3Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!
Posted: 6/14/22 at 12:09pm

Damn,I wish the season looked like this when I was a subscriber.

Exciting! Though wonder if people might be a little iffy about Guettel... Separate the art from the artist, I say.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#5Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!
Posted: 6/14/22 at 12:13pm

BroadwayGuy12 said: "Also notable: Mary-Mitchell Campbell will be replacing Rob Berman as the Encores! music director."

Excellent choice!

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#6Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!
Posted: 6/14/22 at 12:14pm

OH YEAH 2100!!!!

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 6/14/22 at 12:14 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#7Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!
Posted: 6/14/22 at 12:17pm

Donna Murphy in Dear World is an AMAZING choice......I guess it's premature and unlikely of course but I request one cast recording and one Broadway transfer please.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#8Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!
Posted: 6/14/22 at 12:19pm

Which show are they going to Billy Porter this season?

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

ATerrifyingAndImposingFigure
ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#10Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!
Posted: 6/14/22 at 12:28pm

Wow, Miles seems like a young Margaret, but I’m really looking forward to this. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#11Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!
Posted: 6/14/22 at 12:29pm

A few things that give me more hope about this season, after the debacles of THE LIFE and TAPDANCE KID:

1) The scores are uniformly better than those two shows.

2) Among the problems with those productions are directors who aren't used to putting up a full show in 10 days. 2/3 of these directors have worked at Encores many times before (Josh Rhodes and Lear), and Chay Yew comes from regional theatre –– though Piazza is a bit of a departure from his previous output.

3) We have two rock-solid anchor performers announced who, on paper, are ideal for the roles. THE LIFE had an ensemble cast, and TAP DANCE KID required an excellent child performer...but the one they cast couldn't deliver.

Updated On: 6/14/22 at 12:29 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#12Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!
Posted: 6/14/22 at 12:36pm

I was hoping “Dear World” wouldn’t be their second show, just in case their “reimagining of a show” (like “The Life”, which they’ll be doing again) was their second show this year. Who knows if they’ll follow each season like that but fingers crossed they don’t f*ck it up too much. 

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#13Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!
Posted: 6/14/22 at 12:47pm

ClydeBarrow said: "Which show are they going to Billy Porter this season?"

I'm assuming 'Lionel Bart's Oliver"...not to be confused with "Steven Seagal's Oliver"

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

musikman Profile Photo
musikman
#14Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!
Posted: 6/14/22 at 12:47pm

Jordan Catalano said: "I was hoping “Dear World” wouldn’t be their second show, just in case their “reimagining of a show” (like “The Life”, which they’ll be doing again) was their second show this year. Who knows if they’ll follow each season like that but fingers crossed they don’t f*ck it up too much."

It looks like Piazza is getting the reimagined treatment, at least according to their little blurb:

Director Chay Yew (Cambodian Rock Band) and Tony-winning actress Ruthie Ann Miles(The King & I) embark on a deeply personal exploration of Adam Guettel’s Tony-winning musical, transmuting this lush, romantic drama of encounter across barriers of language, culture, and ability into something as essential as it is revelatory.“

​​​​​​​

-There's the muddle in the middle. There's the puddle where the poodle did the piddle."

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#15Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!
Posted: 6/14/22 at 12:52pm

fashionguru_23 said: "ClydeBarrow said: "Which show are they going to Billy Porter this season?"
I'm assuming 'Lionel Bart's Oliver"...not to be confused with "Steven Seagal's Oliver"
"

It's the contractual language.

Remember when they had to bill it as FRANK LOESSER'S MUSICAL THE MOST HAPPY FELLA everywhere, instead of just THE MOST HAPPY FELLA?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#16Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!
Posted: 6/14/22 at 1:05pm

musikman said: "It looks like Piazza is getting the reimagined treatment, at least according to their little blurb:

DirectorChay Yew(Cambodian Rock Band) and Tony-winning actressRuthie Ann Miles(The King & I) embark on a deeply personal exploration ofAdam Guettel’s Tony-winning musical, transmuting this lush, romantic drama of encounter across barriers of language, culture, and ability into something as essential as it is revelatory.“ 

Will it now take place in the Italy section of EPCOT after Clara is kicked in the head by Goofy?

​​​​​​​

"

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#17Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!
Posted: 6/14/22 at 1:09pm

Jordan Catalano said: "musikman said: "It looks like Piazza is getting the reimagined treatment, at least according to their little blurb:

DirectorChay Yew(Cambodian Rock Band) and Tony-winning actressRuthie Ann Miles(The King & I) embark on a deeply personal exploration ofAdam Guettel’s Tony-winning musical, transmuting this lush, romantic drama of encounter across barriers of language, culture, and ability into something as essential as it is revelatory.“

Will it now take place in the Italy section of EPCOT after Clara is kicked in the head by Goofy?

I mean…I wouldn’t NOT see that. 
​​​​​​​

"

"

Globefan
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#19Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!
Posted: 6/14/22 at 2:06pm

Globefan said: "Maybe Ashley Park will play Clara Johnson"

She's only 8 years younger than Ruthie Ann! Would be weird to have a Clara who's older than the character and a Margaret who's younger.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#20Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!
Posted: 6/14/22 at 2:07pm

Jordan Catalano said: "musikman said: "It looks like Piazza is getting the reimagined treatment, at least according to their little blurb:

"

"

You just made my day once again, Jakey. Laughing out loud. 

Oh look, a bibu!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#21Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!
Posted: 6/14/22 at 2:38pm

People love to obsess over age. There's a lot a wig and acting can do. I don't think, even in a concert setting, age is that big of a deal. Some people are 40 and don't look 40. Others are 20 and look 40. Who cares about an actual performers age. I'd by Park and Miles as mother/daughter on stage.

VintageSnarker
#22Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!
Posted: 6/14/22 at 2:43pm

Who would be young enough to play Clara? Eva Noblezada? It would be nice if they highlighted an "unknown" actress. After Samantha Williams and Justin Cooley recently proved themselves fresh out of school, I'd love to see another young talent. Plenty of opportunity for "star" casting in the other adult roles.

I'm excited about the season and wary about what they might do to these shows. I love "As Long As He Needs Me" but Oliver! is the show I'll wait on getting tickets for. I could see them wanting to mess with Nancy and Clara the most, though I agree that Oliver! would also make for a good Publicworks/community theater style show that they might leave mostly untouched aside from Nancy. 

hearthemsing22
#23Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!
Posted: 6/14/22 at 2:43pm

Encores! just…can I have a direct deposit from my bank to them?? I want to see everything! HA 

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#24Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!
Posted: 6/14/22 at 2:45pm

I’m reading up a bit on Dear World (which I confess I don’t know), and it sort of sounds like the creators were ultimately more fond of a revised version of the show that opened years later. Is that at all an accurate read of the situation? And if so, do we think we’ll get the revised “chamber musical” version?

Emmeline Carter
#25Encores! 2023 season announced: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and a 2-week run of OLIVER!
Posted: 6/14/22 at 2:50pm

I would love to see Auli'i Cravalho as Clara in The Light in the Piazza!! It would be cool if they gave another Disney star an Off-broadway debut after Julia Lester in Into the Woods.

As for Ashley Park, I think she would instead make an amazing Nancy in Oliver!

Updated On: 6/14/22 at 02:50 PM