News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for SporkGoddess

SporkGoddess Profile Photo
Member Name: SporkGoddess
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Profile: I'm an absolute musical and opera nut.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Somewhat Baffling High Note Trends  May 1 2024, 04:47:00 PM

Yes, good point about "Defying Gravity." Opera also takes into account the weight of the singer's voice and works with it, so high notes that need to be sung as light and floaty can be sung that way, as opposed to musical theatre where mics allow audiences to hear high notes that aren't sung the way high notes are *supposed* to be sung in terms of vocal health and technique.

Like, "Glitter and be Gay" is brutal, but at least those high not

Somewhat Baffling High Note Trends  May 1 2024, 04:05:35 PM

For women at least, I wouldn't even say that it's so much high notes as BELTING high notes, or a mixture of belting with high "legit" soprano notes. Or the high notes are sustained in a way that makes them very difficult to sing consistently (the famous example being Christine's cadenza in Phantom of the Opera). 

Disney developing TANGLED stage musical  Feb 15 2024, 12:07:33 PM

Tangled is not only my favorite Disney movie next to BatB, I also really enjoyed the cruise show far more than I thought I would (I watched the filmed version back during COVID). I think that, while it needs work, it would serve as an excellent foundation for a full stage production.

Also, are Derek Klena and Taylor Louderman available? Lol

PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread  Jun 29 2023, 01:52:14 PM

It didn't give rise to the original KKK, but it led to a revival of the KKK in Georgia. That's what I meant by what I said, not that the case started the KKK.

PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread  Jun 26 2023, 05:19:08 PM

Listener said: "Having only seen the show once, I probably missed the obvious - so be patient with me here - but who were the antisemitic characters and how didantisemitism factor into what unfolded with Leo?

I do know he was called a "Jew!" at one point during the trial, and made to seem pervy (is that an accusation regularly hurled at Jewish men?) but mostly I was struck by the fact that the prosecutor wanted to pin the murder on someone and there were only 2 m

The 76th Annual TONY Awards!  Jun 11 2023, 09:58:42 PM

Will this make Parade more likely to get a national tour?

The 76th Annual TONY Awards!  Jun 11 2023, 09:32:24 PM

Parade ALWAYS performs "This is Not Over Yet." I want to see another scene from it

Apple TV+ Series SCHMIGADOON! - News & Discussion Thread  May 3 2023, 02:54:08 PM

Yeah, I recently rewatched some eps from season 1 and I wish there had been more continuity between the two seasons. Like, what happened to Schmigadoon? Are they still the same people or do they just happen to look the same? I find the loss of those characters, to whom I had grown rather attached, rather sad. Season 2 paid some lip service to that but never really showed it any consequence.

Also Schmicago just doesn't feel like a town that would really exist outside of Melissa and

Apple TV+ Series SCHMIGADOON! - News & Discussion Thread  Apr 6 2023, 12:54:15 PM

Apparently I'm the OPPOSITE of Melissa because I got all of the references this season so far.  I can't wait for the JCS references to start. Also, damn, that infertility storyline hit hard. 

One thing, though: who is the cop based on? I read Javert in an article, but Javert is from the 1980s British spectacle musical era, not the 1970s. 

PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread  Apr 2 2023, 09:30:22 AM

TellZ said: "People of Atlanta was replaced by Hammer of Justice."

Ah, that's kind of what I figured. Too bad - I far prefer "People of Atlanta."

JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR 50th Anniversary Tour  Apr 1 2023, 04:15:16 PM

Yeah, it's about 90 min I would say.

I don't think there are gunshots, just a very loud "whipping" sound. I'm very squeamish and never had issues with JCS, including this production. They throw glitter when he's whipped, which sounds silly but is pretty cool when you're watching it. It's all very stylized and you can tell it's staged, not real. It's not like Passion of the Christ or anything.

g.d.e.l.g.i. said: "Which is

JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR 50th Anniversary Tour  Apr 1 2023, 12:25:18 PM

I saw this several months ago and it was honestly the best production I've seen. The guy playing Jesus was PHENOMENAL. This is the first time I felt like Jesus actually was the star, not Judas. 

PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread  Apr 1 2023, 12:22:52 PM

It's also important to include "Rumblin' and a Rollin" imo because the Leo Frank trial had pretty big implications for race relations in that area. It was the first time a white man was convicted on the testimony of a black man. In fact, the people were convinced that Conley couldn't be lying because they thought a black man wasn't smart enough to consistently provide false testimony. But the fact that this white man was Jewish, of course, adds a far bigger layer of

PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread  Mar 16 2023, 03:33:33 PM

Yeah, in real life Leo Frank's interpersonal manner (specifically, he came across as nervous) contributed to the perception of his guilt. I do think Parade really exaggerates his foibles and alienation from the south, but he's not supposed to be a guy who inspires warm and fuzzies.

SHUCKED On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread  Mar 9 2023, 11:44:43 AM

Does it have a romance? I'm assuming from the synopsis that it does...

PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread  Feb 22 2023, 12:20:57 PM

Anti-Semites and Neo-Nazis are convinced that Leo Frank did all of the horrible things the prosecution said he did during the trial, including making sexual advances towards his younger employees. So that's why they're saying this musical glorifies a "pedophile," they consider Frank to have been one. They're probably protesting this shows and not others because it's about Frank, and they are VERY hung up on him specifically.

It's actually really distur

Broadway's Most Entertaining Show About a Serious Social Issue?  Feb 13 2023, 09:39:47 AM

As a mental health professional, I don't think that Next to Normal handles its subject matter well at all. But I guess you could still argue it fits because it is about a serious social issue, even if it mishandles it, and it's entertaining.

Does Dogfight count, even though it's off Broadway? IMO it does a better job with portraying a mental health diagnosis than Dear Evan Hansen and N2N.

But, of course, my votes would always go to Cabaret and Ragtime. I migh

Jeremy Jordan starring in Hallmark’s “Hanukkah on Rye”  Dec 19 2022, 04:29:44 PM

It always bothers me when that plot setup is attributed to You've Got Mail and not its source material, Parfumerie. Anyway, super excited to see Jeremy Jordan! 

KPOP Sets December 11 Closing Date on Broadway  Dec 9 2022, 10:18:21 AM

I find that article on The Verge about the social media difficulties FASCINATING because there was actually a similar situation with another fictional Kpop group. The Kdrama Let Me Be Your Knight, which aired earlier this year, was about an idol group, and they actually made music videos with fake album covers and other social media promo stuff for the fictional group in it, LUNA. They released a new music video every week or so, while the drama was airing. It actually became so popular that they ended up releasing a fake album in real life. 

Two examples are https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJQAUKIS36s and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XkGK_1i4yA

Their Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/band.luna.official/

One thing is that, of course, this was in Korea and not the US (although you could purchase the album through stores that imported Kpop items into the US, like anything else), and some of the fake band members were real Kpop stars (moreso than KPOP the musical). But one thing I also notice is that the video quality and production values for LUNA videos and promos are, imo, much more impressive than the ones I saw for KPOP. I wonder if that was part of the issue? 

Live theater attendance v. movie theater attendance  Dec 6 2022, 09:04:16 AM

As mentioned, there is also just a dearth of movies actually screening in theaters that aren't based on comic books or other existing franchises. The mid-budget film isn't really a thing anymore.

I love seeing movies in theaters but not much has really caught my interest. I think the last one I saw was Top Gun 2, and that was only because my husband wanted to see it.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You