News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Danny1984

Member Name: Danny1984
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Coronation Anthem for King Charles III
 May 7 2023, 01:59:32 PM

Lot666 said: "I have no interest in the British royal family or their attendant pomp and circumstance (to borrow an expression from Julia Sugarbaker, to me they're no more relevant than wire corsets). Nonetheless, I read this thread because I was curious to see how the topic was going to be rationalized as Broadway-relevant. ALW is, of course, a composer of Broadway musicals, but that's not why certain people are posting here; they're here because this thread provides ano

BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
 May 7 2023, 12:59:14 PM

GoldenGiggery said: "Carolee is tired of it:

I'm tired of it frankly. I wish so many good actors didn't have to defend themselves from nasty hatemongers but also, a show that's this terrible. This whole thing should've just lived and died in the West End; the only reason it was brought and given a new shellacking was ALW's hubris to maintain his show streak.
"

Right. Fairly sure no actors were forced to be in this and they

New Look for BroadwayWorld!
 May 4 2023, 12:30:08 PM

Hairspray0901 said: "How do you view more than the first four topics on each section on the app? I can’t figure that out."

Me neither - I would also like to know this.

I normally pick the musical I am interested in first and get into the threads that way. Doesn't seem possible anymore?

Apr 28 2023, 03:52:52 PM

Lot666 said: "My husband and I saw the matinee of Bad Cinderella on April 16, with Savy Jackson in the title role. Before the show started, I told him that I was expecting a fluffy, campy, tongue-in-cheek spectacle, and that we would walk out humming the music - and that's just what happened. This show knows exactly what it is and doesn't pretend to be anything else.

Regrettably, Savy Jackson was merely adequate as Cinderella. While I liked that she wasn&#

Apr 28 2023, 03:50:35 PM

I really don't think this means anything at all. Linedy has been so overwhelmingly positive about her time on Bad Cinderella (and loyal to it) and so endlessly supportive of ALW that if she was auditioning cos she knew the show was ending but it hadn't been announced to the public yet, there's no way she'd flaunt this on Instagram.

It will be for a one off something or other or something running alongside her current job.

Phantom Closing?
 Apr 25 2023, 04:50:05 PM

Phantom4ever said: "So Danny, you're telling me that the London phans are still not happy with the downscaled show, but then you remind us that the downscaled show looks and sounds great?"

Well, in essence I suppose. There's a bit of inference in what you say. I can't speak for the London Phans now, but the ones that used to post were pretty anti it. And in the main had not seen it.

It is my opinion from when I went to London that it still looks an

Phantom Closing?
 Apr 25 2023, 02:42:25 PM

"And we are comparing the changes in London to dusting the set? Yikes this thread really has jumped the shark. I'm not surprised though. The same thing happened on the British theater message boards where the pro-Cameron people just relentlessly supported him and the phans kind of eventually let it go and now everybody over there seems to be walking around going "It's the original 1986 Brilliant Original! They just dusted it!"

Apr 24 2023, 05:03:10 PM

jkcohen626 said: "https://nypost.com/2023/04/18/bad-cinderella-hemorrhaging-cash-as-2023-tony-noms-approach/

Webber supposedly wants to close it. It's Schwartzman who wants it open and she has unlimited money.
"

So who gets the final say?

Apr 24 2023, 04:44:22 PM

Jordan Catalano said: "Webber has the cash to keep this show afloat if they want to hire someone to come in and try to boost sales. I think it's a very wise idea for them to at least try it. I'd guess the "star" casting would be either the Queen or Stepmother, but my money would be on Stepmother."

I really hope they do have the cash afloat to keep this going a while longer. It's a great show.

Is it Webber's decision on Broadway though

Phantom Closing?
 Apr 23 2023, 03:39:58 PM

Penna2 said: "MemorableUserName said: "We should all be lucky to have defenders as loyal and relentless as Cameron Mackintosh has in this thread.

Who knew a billionaire producer needed people to get so angry and carry water on his behalf on a message board?
"

Without Cameron MacIntosh there would have been no Phantom of the Opera (Les Mis, Cats...). That's what some of us are objecting to - that he's some sort of monster for not wanting

Phantom Closing?
 Apr 23 2023, 11:32:26 AM

The Scorpion said: "TBFL said: "
I spoke to a friend at RUG and he said Hal hadn't been to the London production in years.

Then your friend is misinformed (which wouldn't be surprising, since RUG is frequently clueless). Hal had definitely visited the London production as late as 2017. He may have visited in 2018 but I don't know if he had been in London that year. Is your friend at RUG aware Hal died in 2019? A bit of a big ask to expect Hal to visit after that.

Since I was weirdly accused here of apparently 'making up' that there was at least some anger backstage at the Majestic, I note a few ex-cast/crew have now taken to social media to say the same thing. Here, one actor says "people have been angry that now that the show is making so much money they are still closing it", and here, a member of the crew says "I felt better as Cameron Mackintosh stood on stage and teased a revival as 100s were losing their jobs". I don't know either of these individuals personally, but their experience seems to fit in with what was told to me by others whose names I won't state here for obvious reasons. It's up to posters here whether they agree with these members of the production as to whether the sentiment was warranted, but the sentiment was there.

MCSecaur said:Just finished a fascinating two-part oral history of Phantom on Broadway and in London fromThe Theatre Times.

It's a shame both the interviewer and interviewee were unaware of the extent of what happened in London post-COVID, but it's clear James Paterson wouldn't have time for it. He is on the money re both LND and that 2012 tour.
"

No, sorry. You didn't say "there was at least some anger backstage at the Majestic," you said "there is, or was, a lot of anger backstage the Majestic that that community was torn apart for no good reason other than for Cameron Mackintosh and Really Useful to open the show and hire newbies to do their jobs."

This has a completely different implication re the atmosphere backstage AND implies CM/RUG closing the show for no good reason. 

The atmosphere was fine. When ANY show closes, a percent of those involved in it will be unhappy, vent a bit online and will question if it needs to happen - that's human nature for a theatrical ecosystem. Your two quotes, outside of a scientific survey mean nothing. There are probably over 200 cast, crew, FOH, backstage, creatives etc etc involved/connected with the Broadway show. So all you've done is show 1% odd might have been unhappy. Big deal. 

I maintain your sweeping statement is completely incorrect. In fact all your posts just sound like you have a personal grudge against ALW and CM and you (mis)interpret everything in a not particularly convincing attempt to convince others to feel the same way.

Phantom Closing?
 Apr 22 2023, 05:11:58 AM

Ensemble1682107720 said: "they couldn't get out of there fast enough. bet Cameron and Andrew didn't even attend the after party. 35 years and 1 billion dollars later and all we got was a bootleg video of the curtain call speech and a veiled announcement of a reopening in the foreseeable future. shame on the lot of them. Gillian Maria, Steve, Michael and especially Hal deserved a proper tribute.

"

ALW's son has just died. His mind must be all ov

Phantom Closing?
 Apr 19 2023, 02:49:40 AM

The Scorpion said: "Dylan Smith4 said: "Chase Miller said: "What a slap in the face if they just revive this show in the next 2-3 years. Phantom needs to be gone for at least a decade."

That's exactly what I have been saying for a while now! Let people move on and bring it back in like a decade or so with a new creative team. Bringing it back immediately is a major slap in the face to Hal Prince and members of the OG creative team who are no

Apr 5 2023, 10:45:55 AM

Has anyone heard if there is going to be a cast recording for this?

I may well be in the minority but I really hope there will be one, preferably complete. 

Mar 24 2023, 11:40:12 AM

I really rather enjoyed this show. Some great songs, a decent set, stunning light and sound and the story whilst unremarkable didn't offend me as it does most of the reviewers. Carolee and Grace were sensational and I also enjoyed Linedy and Jordan. 

I left having had fun and humming many of the tunes - exactly what I want from a musical. 

This clearly isn't going to run for long but I really hope it can manage a few months as I'd like to see it again and I

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You