pixeltracker

Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Coronation Anthem for King Charles III

Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Coronation Anthem for King Charles III

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#1Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Coronation Anthem for King Charles III
Posted: 5/6/23 at 7:35pm

Not to kick a man while he’s down, but woof.

This is such a generic, boring composition for what should be the honor of a lifetime. Enhanced slightly by the arrangement for that brass ensemble, but this is rough stuff.

https://youtu.be/rtqfn2Fy9yA

Musicaldudepeter
#2Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Coronation Anthem for King Charles III
Posted: 5/6/23 at 8:44pm

It was truly heinous 

Updated On: 5/6/23 at 08:44 PM

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#3Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Coronation Anthem for King Charles III
Posted: 5/6/23 at 8:56pm

I mean, the whole thing is a joke to begin with, so…*shrug* fitting? 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#4Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Coronation Anthem for King Charles III
Posted: 5/6/23 at 9:27pm

The orchestrations were wonderful; I'll give him that. However, "Zadok the Priest" by Handel sounded 1000 times better than ALW's coronation anthem. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#5Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Coronation Anthem for King Charles III
Posted: 5/6/23 at 10:37pm

I like it. 

The King approved so that is all that matters.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 5/6/23 at 10:37 PM

¿Macavity?
#6Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Coronation Anthem for King Charles III
Posted: 5/6/23 at 11:13pm

Not an ALW fan (my name is a goof, made it on a stupid cheeky whim) but I thought it was alright. If lacking in inspiration, it is at least a very traditional British sounding tune. It's pleasant, and positive; what more was needed?

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#7Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Coronation Anthem for King Charles III
Posted: 5/6/23 at 11:41pm

My complaint - which may differ from others - is that it sounds like any generic hymn pulled out of a standard back-of-the-pew hymnal, with an uninspired melody.

Updated On: 5/6/23 at 11:41 PM

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
binau Profile Photo
binau
#9Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Coronation Anthem for King Charles III
Posted: 5/7/23 at 6:35am

Does anyone expect anything more from ALW? This extremely simple and inoffensive tune does the job but when is the last time he was truly innovative or even had a little bit of complexity in his music? 1979?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

BETTY22
#10Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Coronation Anthem for King Charles III
Posted: 5/7/23 at 10:23am

I fear Andrew is harming his legacy with Bad Cinderella and other new work. 

Charley Kringas Inc Profile Photo
Charley Kringas Inc
#11Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Coronation Anthem for King Charles III
Posted: 5/7/23 at 10:45am

It sounds like one of the fake opera numbers in Phantom that gets interrupted by a dead body, which feels somehow appropriate.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#12Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Coronation Anthem for King Charles III
Posted: 5/7/23 at 10:56am

I have no interest in the British royal family or their attendant pomp and circumstance (to borrow an expression from Julia Sugarbaker, to me they're no more relevant than wire corsets). Nonetheless, I read this thread because I was curious to see how the topic was going to be rationalized as Broadway-relevant. ALW is, of course, a composer of Broadway musicals, but that's not why certain people are posting here; they're here because this thread provides another excuse to bash him. 

The man consistently writes music that plays my heartstrings like a virtuoso harpist and I'd rather listen to his meanest composition than the impassive, unimpeachable masterpiece playing at the Lunt-Fontanne right now. 

Some people on this board remind me of Sean Hannity when Barack Obama was president. It's almost as if their reason for getting out of bed each morning is to find a public opportunity to say something condescending about someone they love to hate. If you don't like the sort of music he writes, why spend so much time talking about it, when you could be talking about something you love?

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage
Updated On: 5/7/23 at 10:56 AM

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#13Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Coronation Anthem for King Charles III
Posted: 5/7/23 at 11:55am

I thought the program of music for the Coronation was extremely good. I'm hoping for a recording of the Coronation music to be released.

The program was varied, and included some very well-chosen "firsts" like Mealor's Kyrie Eleison sung in Welsh and the inclusion of a Gospel choir. The program demonstrated inclusiveness, and featured commissioned pieces by some of GB's very fine contemporary composers.

Taken as a whole program of music, Lloyd-Webber's piece fit in very well. It was pop-y and light. It provided balance and contrast to the more sophisticated works commissioned from some of Lloyd-Webber's contemporaries. 

I didn't think Lloyd-Webber's anthem held a candle in comparison to the "Santus" composed by Roxanna Panufnik, or the "Agnus Dei" by Tarik O'Regan. Both pieces directly followed his anthem within the program and for my tastes, pointed up his lack of skill/talent as a composer.

Still, I think its inclusion served its purpose very well within the context of the entire program of music. I also think it served well re: how this coronation ceremony (and its changes from past ceremonies) might be a reflection of how he hopes to reign as king. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#14Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Coronation Anthem for King Charles III
Posted: 5/7/23 at 12:44pm

John Adams said: "a reflection of how he hopes to reign as king."

I thought you made a number of excellent observations. I am not quite sure how to read this quote. We have been reading that CIII will be distinguished as the "arts lover king." What does this choice reflect? If the idea is to reflect something "pop-y and light," what we have holding that spot is a rather pedestrian tune of a septuagenarian commercial composer selected by the septuagenarian king to represent pop, a British musical tradition of the highest order that remains very vital today. So I am not sure what conclusion I am to reach about this choice that ALW felt compelled to personally report prompted in the king a tear and goosebumps on his first hearing. 

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#15Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Coronation Anthem for King Charles III
Posted: 5/7/23 at 1:49pm

HogansHero said: "John Adams said: "a reflection of how he hopes to reign as king."

I thought you made a number of excellent observations. I am not quite sure how to read this quote. We have been reading that CIII will be distinguished as the 'arts lover king.' What does this choice reflect?
"

Keeping in mind that this is obviously just my opinion, I thought the changes made to the ceremony (especially changes like the “Homage of the People&rdquoAndrew Lloyd Webber’s Coronation Anthem for King Charles III were meant to telegraph inclusiveness; a more relaxed and 'modern' approach to the traditional monarchy as perceived in the past. I thought/think the program of music reflect a desire to be perceived differently from the past.

For me, it seems that how King Charles III has orchestrated his coronation ceremony (including the selection of music) reflects how he wants the public to also perceive how he will reign as monarch. Perhaps as a king who has room in his reign for an appreciation of diversity.

The description of "pop-y and light' is MY interpretation of Lloyd-Webber's contribution.  I don't mean to imply that King Charles III shares my opinion.

Danny1984
#16Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Coronation Anthem for King Charles III
Posted: 5/7/23 at 1:59pm

Lot666 said: "I have no interest in the British royal family or their attendant pomp and circumstance (to borrow an expression from Julia Sugarbaker, to me they're no more relevant than wire corsets). Nonetheless, I read this thread because I was curious to see how the topic was going to be rationalized as Broadway-relevant. ALW is, of course, a composer of Broadway musicals, but that's not why certain people are posting here; they're here because this thread provides another excuse to bash him.

The man consistently writes music that plays my heartstrings like a virtuoso harpist and I'd rather listen to his meanest composition than the impassive, unimpeachable masterpiece playing at the Lunt-Fontanne right now.

Some people on this board remind me of Sean Hannity when Barack Obama was president. It's almost as if their reason for getting out of bed each morning is to find a public opportunity to say something condescending about someone they love to hate. If you don't like the sort of music he writes, why spend so much time talking about it, when you could be talking about something you love?
"

Amen to this. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#17Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Coronation Anthem for King Charles III
Posted: 5/7/23 at 2:09pm

but that's not why certain people are posting here; they're here because this thread provides another excuse to bash him. 

It's sad, pathetic, and despicable. This man is going through a personal tragedy that no one should ever experience. And when someone says "not to kick a man when he's down" and then proceeds to do so, it was their intention the entire time but don't want to feel guilty about it. Absolutely repugnant. 

Updated On: 5/7/23 at 02:09 PM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#18Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Coronation Anthem for King Charles III
Posted: 5/7/23 at 3:28pm

@Mr. Adams I appreciate you are expressing opinions and interpretations that may not align (although they do with me). I also appreciate that CIII is trying to project a more "modern" and inclusive perception of the monarchy. I guess my reaction is that I don't know if this supports that effort (he is, after all, a very conservative, titled aristocrat). Also worth noting that he carries on his shoulders the historical weight of an awful lot of unappreciated colonial "appreciation" of diversity, not to mention the whole "trouble with Harry" thing. Perhaps this accounts somewhat for the pained body language at what should be a joyful occasion as has been commented on in the media?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#19Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Coronation Anthem for King Charles III
Posted: 5/7/23 at 4:15pm

This faux or actual outrage is silly. “Kicking when down?”. Kicking who? We are a bunch of nobodies on a forum giving a sincere opinion about his music. ALW just had his work on show on a world stage, has achieved more in life than probably any of us ever will and is probably a very rich man - he will be just fine, trust me. Obviously his fans may be offended, but to try and then use his actual son’s death as a coping mechanism or way to offload criticism seems much more repugnant to me than someone giving their opinion on his work. 

And as far as the comment about talking about things we love, well I think you’ll find we do just that. We talk about things we love and things we don’t love. This is partly why this forum exists. 

If you really want to support ALW I’d suggest you and all of your friends go and buy premium tickets to Bad Cinderella ASAP as that is probably the best thing you can do to support his work right now. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#20Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Coronation Anthem for King Charles III
Posted: 5/7/23 at 9:58pm

Yes any artist worth their salt should be deeply offended if someone were to give them a "pass" simply because they accepted this composing gig in the midst of personal tragedy, a foundering Broadway show, and the closing of another Broadway show. In the same way that if John Travolta releases yet another unwatchable "geezer teaser," my opinion on his work is divorced from my sympathy for a man who lost a son, a wife, and a costar within 13 years.

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#21Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Coronation Anthem for King Charles III
Posted: 5/7/23 at 10:24pm

John Adams wrote: I thought the program of music for the Coronation was extremely good. I'm hoping for a recording of the Coronation music to be released.

It’s been released on Apple Music and maybe more sites; digitally. 

Updated On: 5/7/23 at 10:24 PM

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#22Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Coronation Anthem for King Charles III
Posted: 5/8/23 at 1:39am

I’ve never understood the alw dislike. Profits from this song are going to different charities. 

i like the song. I was expecting something somber. I’m a huge royalist I really like this song. 

I’ll never understand how Sondheim is worshipped like god and anyone like likes Andrew Lloyd is trash. 

Dollypop
#23Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Coronation Anthem for King Charles III
Posted: 5/8/23 at 2:06am

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Updated On: 5/8/23 at 02:06 AM

lostboys&goldengirls
#24Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Coronation Anthem for King Charles III
Posted: 5/8/23 at 3:52pm

I would hardly call this rough or, my vote for most ridiculous comment heinous. Its a perfectly pleasant, melodic choral piece. It's not revolutionary, but it sure does the job and I have been finding myself humming it more and more as the days go by. Had this been composed by anyone other than ALW, I can just about guarantee that most of you wouldn't have thought anything of it. 

Updated On: 5/8/23 at 03:52 PM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#25Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Coronation Anthem for King Charles III
Posted: 5/8/23 at 4:44pm

lostboys&goldengirls said: "I would hardly call this rough or, my vote for most ridiculous commentheinous. Its a perfectly pleasant, melodic choral piece. It's not revolutionary, but it sure does the job and I have been finding myself humming it more and more as the days go by. Had this been composed by anyone other than ALW, I can just about guarantee that most of you wouldn't have thought anything of it."

I don't think anyone minds your modest praise of the piece. But the premise in your last sentence is false: it's chicken and egg. There are those who think it was not a great choice for a variety of reasons but that's on KC3 or his handlers.