News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for BroadwayGirl107

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
Member Name: BroadwayGirl107
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

How does closing your eyes help you sing better?  Nov 26 2022, 05:32:47 PM

I disagree that it’s an acting trick. It’s like..the opposite of what you want from an actor. I think it’s usually someone concentrating on their technique or going very inward emotionally instead of opening up and sharing with an audience. It makes sense that some singer resort to it sometimes, but people who do it all the time would really benefit from kicking them habit. 

KIMBERLY AKIMBO Reviews  Nov 12 2022, 10:16:20 PM

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "whatever that image/link is isn't working

also they pulled discounts and premium seats are now almost $300 (not sure where someone saw $500)

Makes me think they know the clock is ticking and are going to try and pull in every cent they can
"

Typically if a show pulls it’s discounts and charges more money it’s because tickets are selling enough that they have the confidence that they can sell tickets for

Who, Realistically, Could Also Star In KIMBERLY AKIMBO?  Nov 12 2022, 06:20:29 PM

Donna Murphy was the first that came to mind for me. 

KIMBERLY AKIMBO Reviews  Nov 11 2022, 04:51:18 PM

I’m so happy to see these reviews! The show completely deserves it and is a must see. I really hope this helps keep it running so it can make it to the Tonys and win Best Musical. 

KIMBERLY AKIMBO Previews  Nov 7 2022, 11:53:22 PM

I saw this last week and it was just fantastic. The plot gets a little weird in the second act but ultimately as a whole it’s deeply funny and moving. I was in the orchestra, which was completely full, though I couldn’t see the mezzanine at all from where I was. The audience was absolutely loving every minute. I really hope this show does well, or at least makes it to awards season (Clark, Cooley, and Milligan should be front runners). I could nitpick in some things but think it&r

Taylor Swift’s ‘Les Misérables’ Audition Was a ’Nightmare’  Oct 28 2022, 09:14:49 PM

I mean…you’re right, she wasn’t as huge as she is right now, but she WAS selling out stadiums across the country. So she was pretty huge.

I don’t know if it’s “brave” to turn her down. They didn’t know if she could act, and it sounds like the audition went poorly. With someone that famous who’s not known for acting, if she didn’t mail it she could become a distraction from telling the story. But to be honest it

1776 Reviews  Oct 26 2022, 10:51:50 AM

bk said: "
For starters, the music has totally new arrangements and orchestrations that are terrible. As to the book, changes or not, if it's being played by over-the-top performances directed to be sledge-hammered home, no, you cannot judge a book that way. And that goes for any classic musical that has a terrible production with actors directed to do it an injustice. It's fine for you to have an opinion on THIS production but as others have pointed out, yo

1776 Reviews  Oct 25 2022, 09:40:53 PM

George in DC said: "BroadwayGirl107 said: "joevitus said:
"

I don't think the show as written is bland in the least, it's funny, moving, suspenseful. Not only does it have a strong score, but the traditional orchestrations are among the best I've ever heard--ingeniously wedding an 18th century sound to a modern musical theater score, no easy feat. It's a classic up there with shows like Carousel and My Fair Lady.
"

1776 Reviews  Oct 24 2022, 01:47:59 PM

joevitus said: 
"

I don't think the show as written is bland in the least, it's funny, moving, suspenseful. Not only does it have a strong score, but the traditional orchestrations are among the best I've ever heard--ingeniously wedding an 18th century sound to a modern musical theater score, no easy feat. It's a classic up there with shows like Carousel and My Fair Lady.
"

And that’s totally fine you feel that way and I disa

1776 Reviews  Oct 24 2022, 11:03:13 AM

bk said: "My problem here is everyone blaming the musical itself rather than the misbegotten and ill-directed production and its gimmick. As to it being bland with a "bunch of white dudes" performing it - your offensive BS aside, if it had been bland and boring with a bunch of white dudes performing it, it wouldn't have played for three years, toured, been made into a film, and had countless productions over the years. If this is all you've seen, I hate to tell you

1776 Reviews  Oct 24 2022, 12:39:58 AM

I saw this the other day and kinda of agree with PipingHotPiccolo. 

I felt like the musical itself was super bland and felt like a piece you’d present in a museum to educate people about our history. I felt like the only reason to be doing this show at all was to at least try something with it, like this production does. But material itself was just not great so it never really soared for me. My friends and I kept saying the show must be excruciatingly boring wit

COST OF LIVING Reviews  Oct 21 2022, 11:52:34 PM

JoeW4 said: "Finally managed to catch this one - I was looking forward to it, and thought it was some strong redeeming qualities, but unfortunately it fell pretty far below my expectations.

Posted more detailed thoughts here
"

Interesting thoughts—especially about the disabled actors. I honestly think the twist at the end makes sense in the world of the play but I honestly felt in this production that Kara Young didn’t really sell it for me. There was really nothing in her performance that suggested the gravity of the situation before the reveal and I knew the play going in and still found it a little hard to buy, even though I didn’t when reading it. 

I still adore this play and hope lots of folks see it before it’s gone. 

Lillias White Calling Out Deaf Audience Member For Using CC Device  Oct 20 2022, 03:33:57 PM

"

Something tells me that after being called an n-word who should be shot, Lilias doesn't feel like being gracious in public. Making her a punching bag for racists hopefully will have its consequences
"

The hard of hearing woman who originally shared her story is NOT responsible for how other people responded to her post. She did not ask for people to go after White. In fact she repeatedly, explicitly said she believed White meant no

Lillias White Calling Out Deaf Audience Member For Using CC Device  Oct 20 2022, 03:18:27 PM

gibsons2 said: "

But how in the world do you know that she didn't do it privately? And if she did, why do you think that you or anyone else entitled to this information? It's baffling that so many people feel they are entitled to Lilia's public apology. Being hard of hearing is an invisible disability, especially in the dark theater. How in the world Lilias could have known that the person is not just sitting with her phone on? What about actor

Lillias White Calling Out Deaf Audience Member For Using CC Device  Oct 20 2022, 02:43:47 PM

White should not have received threats or racial slurs thrown at her for what she did. I personally did not see any of that, but I’ll take people’s words for it that she experienced that, and it’s insane that that would be the response to her actions.

However for something to be a double standard, the same thing had to have occurred. Patti LuPone did not call out a disabled person for using a device to make theater more accessible. And most people just l

1776's Sara Porkalob Brutally Honest Vulture Article  Oct 19 2022, 02:07:27 PM

Sally Durant Plummer said: "
I'm not saying Sara isn't using "they" as some kind of performatively woke (or as darquegk put it, socially engineered) gesture, because I don''t know her, but I think your conception of what "they" as a pronoun represents is narrow. "They" is not just the pronoun that nonbinary people use. Lots of nonbinary people don't use it, lots do, some are fine with he or her pronouns. It's

1776's Sara Porkalob Brutally Honest Vulture Article  Oct 19 2022, 01:38:46 PM

QueenTwinnied said: "Some of you skeletons have completely lost the plot and turned your newfound hatred for Sara into straight up bigotry. To question why someone uses a certain pronoun is disgusting, point blank period. For many queer people like myself, gender expression is a journey and can literally change every day, and many adopt terms like "non-binary" or use they/them pronouns to express their gender outside the binary. Look at Demi Lovato, who has gone by they/the

1776's Sara Porkalob Brutally Honest Vulture Article  Oct 19 2022, 11:10:00 AM

HeyMrMusic said: "Wow, this took a turn very quickly, and I won’t go into how wrong this conversation about pronouns is. I think people should do what they suggested Sara do and think before they say anything."

Putting “they” as one of your pronouns in your bio as a person who explicitly identifies as cis is absolutely misguiding at best. It suggests a non-binary identity. We still live in a culture where the default is cis pronouns. N

1776's Sara Porkalob Brutally Honest Vulture Article  Oct 19 2022, 10:48:39 AM

HeyMrMusic said: "Nothing they have said is out of character. They are not an unknown, just a newbie to the NYC scene. Their goal isn’t commercial theatre or Broadway necessarily; it’s storytelling through theatre. They were handpicked by Diane Paulus based on their own previous work. So this won’t hurt or stop them one bit. People know their name now."

They were handpicked by Diane Paulus, but I’m not sure Diane Paulus was expecting her direc

1776's Sara Porkalob Brutally Honest Vulture Article  Oct 17 2022, 09:43:07 AM

9. I'm not afraid of the great White Way. I'd be sad to lose the job but my termination would only be further proof of this industry's inability to adapt & change for the better. The work I care about can be done on Broadway or off.

Yikes to this comment. There is a deeply toxic mentality in my (and Sara’s) generation that makes people think this way. I have been quite vocal early in this that I think some of w

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You