News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for jfc2

Member Name: jfc2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Stage to Screen - What has been the best adaptation?  Nov 6 2005, 11:53:45 AM
If you are talking about a true adaptation of a Broadway musical to a film, I don't think that CABARET qualifies. I do believe that it is a very good film on its own, it does not reflect the Broadway show. The characters of Fraulein Schneider and Herr Schultz are not in the film at all, so you don't have that whole story line, which to me is the heart of the show. They young people are going to survive the Nazis, because they are resilient, and young and full of fight. The older folks, on the ot
re: Sweeney Todd DVD - Which One?  Nov 1 2005, 01:28:16 AM
June Havoc was in the bus and truck production that went out after we were through with the National Tour. Ross Petty was the Sweeney with June Havoc.
re: Marin Mazzie and Jason Danieley SUNDAY revival?  Oct 31 2005, 05:07:09 PM
Bernadette Peters was not 24 when she played Dot. Bernadette is well into her 50's. Annie in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN is very young, too, and who has played her on Broadway? Ethel Merman and Bernadette Peters. I think Marin could definitely pull it off!
re: Lauren Kennedy is the new 'Lady of the Lake' beginning December 20  Oct 31 2005, 12:45:21 PM
Lauren is a great lady. I conducted her in a production of NINE at Paper Mill Playhouse right after she graduated from CCM. She played Carla, and she was VERY sexy, VERY funny, and has an AMAZING voice! I couldn't be happier for her.
re: Sweeney Todd DVD - Which One?  Oct 31 2005, 12:38:37 PM
SWEENEY was taped at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in LA. We were in LA for 16 weeks. Angela and George were very close. She felt very comfortable with him, and she felt that the love story worked better with George than with Len Cariou. And she said he was more fun. That closing performance was very special for all of us--we had been together for over a year, and we were a real family. It is fun going back down memory lane, so if anybody has any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.
re: Sweeney Todd DVD - Which One?  Oct 31 2005, 02:26:56 AM
Thanks for the compliment, best12 bars, i really appreciate it! I am still doing that show, too. All over the country. I love it and it has been very good to me. Way back then, Chris was in the comb-over stage. He used to laugh about it all the time. The one thing that Prince wanted to bring out in those characters was the fact that Johanna and Antony were very young--she about 16 and he about 18. That affected their performances, too. Also for the road they decided to raise the key to "Gre
re: Sweeney Todd DVD - Which One?  Oct 30 2005, 01:24:15 PM
I was the musical director for the tour and the 1982 DVD. Terry Hughes was the television director who shot the tape. He did no character direction--just put Harold Prince's production on tape. The product was very much in Prince's and Sondheim's control. By the way, Cris Groenendaal did not wear a hair-piece! I have done many productions since that one, and I do prefer Johanna and Anthony played more sincerely. There is humor even when you play the reality of the situation, and I prefer that ki
re: Sweeney Todd DVD - Which One?  Oct 30 2005, 01:44:34 AM
jimmycurr01 -- the SWEENEY tour was 14 months--that is not short, and Lansbury was unbelievable in the role!
re: Who have you gotten stuff back from?  Oct 24 2005, 06:33:31 PM
Self
Addressed
Stamped
Envelope

re: SWEENEY TODD First Preview  Oct 4 2005, 02:22:53 AM
I don't know why people feel like that have to re-invent classic shows. SWEENEY does not need gimmicks, like characters walking around the stage carrying musical instruments that detract from the dramatic impact of the piece. This is just my opinion, so don't freak out, and I have a right to voice it. Thanks!
re: PAJAMA GAME 1st 100 Tickets for $19.54  Oct 2 2005, 07:41:10 PM
This show is seriously dated and I doubt its durability. There was another revival in the late 70's with Hal Linden and Barbara McNair, which lasted 1 night, and the critics thougt it was dated then. A labor dispute over a 7and a half cent raise? I have done the show twice and even if it is treated as a piece of nostalgia, it is a stretch. Some great songs, though.
re: First pics of Sweeney Todd  Aug 31 2005, 03:52:17 PM
In my opinion, the whole think is a lousy idea. Call me a purist, but this show is a classic, why muck it up with the actors being the orchestra. Believe me, having conducted the show over 600 performances, it is hard enough the original way. The whole thing is just a gimmick, and I, for one, won't see it. The casting is all off also in my opinion. What a mess!
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You