pixeltracker

Marin Mazzie and Jason Danieley SUNDAY revival?

Marin Mazzie and Jason Danieley SUNDAY revival?

iluvtheatertrash
#0Marin Mazzie and Jason Danieley SUNDAY revival?
Posted: 10/31/05 at 3:11pm

Just got the new Marin and Jason album from PS Classics and their version of SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE'S stunning duet - "Move On" - sends shivers down my spine. It is a version I, honestly, would rather listen to than the spine-tingling version by Mandy and Bernie.

Someone get a revival and cast this fabulous couple!

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#1re: Marin Mazzie and Jason Danieley SUNDAY revival?
Posted: 10/31/05 at 4:13pm

Love them both, but:

She's too old
He's too blah

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#2re: Marin Mazzie and Jason Danieley SUNDAY revival?
Posted: 10/31/05 at 4:17pm

Lol MEF. Their "Move On" is great, but I can't see them working for an actual production.

BroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
#3re: Marin Mazzie and Jason Danieley SUNDAY revival?
Posted: 10/31/05 at 4:18pm

Oh my god...Too old? Should performers retire once they hit 40 because they're too old? I have never heard anything so agist in my life.

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#4re: Marin Mazzie and Jason Danieley SUNDAY revival?
Posted: 10/31/05 at 4:20pm

MEF wasn't saying she's too old for any show ever. Just that she's too old to play Dot. Which she is.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#5re: Marin Mazzie and Jason Danieley SUNDAY revival?
Posted: 10/31/05 at 4:20pm

She's too old for that part, not too old to be on stage.

Elaine Stritch is too old to play Dot too. DOes that make me agist?
Updated On: 10/31/05 at 04:20 PM

melissa errico fan
#6re: Marin Mazzie and Jason Danieley SUNDAY revival?
Posted: 10/31/05 at 4:47pm

Oh my god...Too old? Should performers retire once they hit 40 because they're too old? I have never heard anything so agist in my life.

Um...have you ever seen Sunday in the Park with George?? Dot is supposed to be 24. Marin Mazzie turned 45 this past month, and while she's not quite a hag yet, she's not youthful looking either. So please, at least know what you're talking about before making a vitriolic statement like calling me an ageist again.

Bobby and Theatreguy: Thanks re: Marin Mazzie and Jason Danieley SUNDAY revival?

jfc2
#7re: Marin Mazzie and Jason Danieley SUNDAY revival?
Posted: 10/31/05 at 5:07pm

Bernadette Peters was not 24 when she played Dot. Bernadette is well into her 50's. Annie in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN is very young, too, and who has played her on Broadway? Ethel Merman and Bernadette Peters. I think Marin could definitely pull it off!

melissa errico fan
#8re: Marin Mazzie and Jason Danieley SUNDAY revival?
Posted: 10/31/05 at 5:11pm

Bernadette Peters was not 24 when she played Dot.

Bernadette was in her thirties and youthful. Marin's tone and her acting are much more mature. She definitely doesn't have the innocence required for the role.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#9re: Marin Mazzie and Jason Danieley SUNDAY revival?
Posted: 10/31/05 at 6:57pm

I agree Marin Mazzie is a spectacular actress, great voice, can't wait to get my hands on her new album...BUT, she is not appropriate for the role of Dot, her age is indeed an issue for this role, just like other great performers like Donna Murphy. Bernadette Peters was 35, I believe, when she originated this role. Also, "Annie Get Your Gun" is a role that if played by the actress the right age (about 17 or so I believe, correct me if I'm wrong), it could not be as good as it is, because in my opinion it takes a very skilled actress to carry this star-turn; the fact that it was originated by Ethel Merman also allows other productions the chance to cast an older woman in this role.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Jazzysuite82
#10re: Marin Mazzie and Jason Danieley SUNDAY revival?
Posted: 10/31/05 at 8:19pm

MEF I dunno what you're talking about but Jason Danieley is hardly blah. What have you seen him in where he was blah? I've actually seen him live on more than one occasion and have NEVER thought he was blah. He's actually a great singing actor. I actually think he could be an excellent George.

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#11re: Marin Mazzie and Jason Danieley SUNDAY revival?
Posted: 10/31/05 at 8:24pm

I can't imagine Marin singing "Everybody Loves Louie" or the opening number, even though I love her very much. It's really not the kind of show I would cast her in.

-Anyone want to turn anarchist with me?

"Bless you and all who know you, oh wise and penguined one." ~YouWantItWhen????

Jazzysuite82
#12re: Marin Mazzie and Jason Danieley SUNDAY revival?
Posted: 10/31/05 at 8:31pm

People said the same thing about Audra in that role and Anyone Can Whistle. People said however, it was fierce. I think the only issue is Marin's age. I don't think it would matter if she did a concert of the show somewhere.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#13re: Marin Mazzie and Jason Danieley SUNDAY revival?
Posted: 10/31/05 at 9:07pm

Jason Danieley has a gorgeous voice, but his eternally boyish persona isn't right for George. There are many other roles he could play though.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#14re: Marin Mazzie and Jason Danieley SUNDAY revival?
Posted: 10/31/05 at 9:18pm

Totally off subject - but at the Las Vegas airport yesterday there was a page over the loud speaker for "Marin Mazzie" to dial guest services. Maybe she's going to understudy Celine...

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#15re: Marin Mazzie and Jason Danieley SUNDAY revival?
Posted: 10/31/05 at 9:52pm

I saw Audra as Dot last summer at Ravinia and she was a revelation in the role (as she is with any role she does) She really made the part her own and never once did i think she was too old and while i would say she acted youthful there also was a profound sense of maturity to her performance...i don't know not 100% disagreeing but I am saying that if there is a revival...it should be Audra as dot

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~

GovernorSlaton Profile Photo
GovernorSlaton
#16re: Marin Mazzie and Jason Danieley SUNDAY revival?
Posted: 10/31/05 at 10:35pm

Carolee Carmello and Gregg Edelman's "Move On" is wonderful too, though both Carmello has the same problem as Mazzie.

apdarcey
#17re: Marin Mazzie and Jason Danieley SUNDAY revival?
Posted: 10/31/05 at 10:55pm

the couple that should be in a full scale revival is melissa errico and raul esparza. that was heaven.

iluvtheatertrash
#18re: Marin Mazzie and Jason Danieley SUNDAY revival?
Posted: 10/31/05 at 11:18pm

Where can we hear this version, Governor?

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

LostLeander
#19re: Marin Mazzie and Jason Danieley SUNDAY revival?
Posted: 10/31/05 at 11:44pm

I would DIE to see Audra do Dot.
And Fay, and goodness... ANYTHING.

But mostly, Dot...

Personally, I think I have too much bloom.

Jazzysuite82
#20re: Marin Mazzie and Jason Danieley SUNDAY revival?
Posted: 10/31/05 at 11:59pm

Sorry but I think melissa Erico is kind of foolish in general. Jason doesn't really have a boyish quality anymore. That's in my opinion. I saw him about 2 years ago and he's got both a mature sound and presance now.

Chrysanthemum62001
#21re: Marin Mazzie and Jason Danieley SUNDAY revival?
Posted: 11/1/05 at 12:08am

I love Marin Mazzie, but I wouldn't cast her in this show.

As for Audra, I've said it a hundred times. I would love to see her as Dot. And I would love to Michael Cerveris and Raúl Esparza as George.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

melissa errico fan
#22re: Marin Mazzie and Jason Danieley SUNDAY revival?
Posted: 11/1/05 at 6:33am

Where can we hear this version, Governor?

Wall-to-Wall Sondheim

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#23re: Marin Mazzie and Jason Danieley SUNDAY revival?
Posted: 11/1/05 at 10:28am

JAZZY, I agree with you re Jason Danieley. I saw him last year as Starbuck in "110 in the Shade" and Tommy in "Brigadoon" and he was sensational in both. He's a legitimate Leading Man, oodles of charisma and a voice to die for!

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#24re: Marin Mazzie and Jason Danieley SUNDAY revival?
Posted: 11/1/05 at 10:46am

What strikes me most about Jason Danieley is his ability as an actor. The only two times I've seen him live were in the Carnegie Hall concerts of CAROUSEL and SOUTH PACIFIC. Rehearsals for those types of concerts are quite brief, but Mr. Danieley was able to create such complete, nuanced and shaded characterizations that I was simply stunned. I hope he gets to originate a role soon. I would be very interested in seeing what he can accomplish over a full rehearsal period.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

Videos