News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Lori

Member Name: Lori
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: The Woman in White
 Nov 26 2007, 09:24:49 AM
Saw the show in the West End and on Broadway and loved it every time. Overall I prefer the Broadway cast, but some of the changes they made from the London production made no sense. Cutting "If Not For Me For Her", shortening the seduction scene (they cut the second verse which was the only time you really got to hear Michael Ball and Maria Friedman belt together...wow!), and the addition of the wedding scene with the pop-up gravestone...all mistakes IMO. The original ending was much more in
re: Vote for us!! (You Can't Stop The Beat)
 Nov 21 2007, 09:43:40 AM
Got my vote in.

Been to London...seen the show...the Brit's can't stop the beat. Absolutely fabulous production.

Marc any word on a London Cast Recording? (Love your avatar by the way...I have a "golden child" of my own).

re: Just Announced -- John Owen Jones to Broadway Les Miserables!
 Aug 26 2007, 09:21:29 PM
It is true. The announcement was made with John in attendance.

Broadway is in for a treat. John's JVJ is absolutely fabulous...the best I've ever seen. His vocals are haunting and his acting flawless.

I'm so excited to have him on our side of the pond. John we are thrilled for you!!!!!!!!!!!

re: Michael Ball as Edna PICTURE!!!!
 Aug 22 2007, 09:02:22 AM
He looks fabulous...just fabulous. The whole cast looks like they are having a great time.

As for a new Cast Recording...from your keyboard to God's ears Marc.

Glad to hear that you are having fun with this cast, and that you are adjusting and adding some vocals for Michael. Saw him in Kismet at the ENO in July and he has never sounded better.

Can't wait to the West End Production in November. All the best to the cast and creatives!

re: Michael Ball as Edna!
 Jun 15 2007, 12:15:24 PM
Does this mean we'll get an OLCR?

Fingers crossed for that!!!!!!!!!

re: Michael Ball as Edna!
 Jun 15 2007, 11:29:42 AM
Michael has wonderful comic timing and he's a natural mimic. If you've ever seen him tell a story on stage or on a talk show (or at a stage door) you know what I mean.

He also excels at "over the top" characters, as evidenced both by his portrayal of Count Fosco and Reginald Bunthorne.

I think he'll be great, and just because the role hasn't previously been played by anyone with a great voice doesn't mean it can't be. It will be a unique dimension that he'll bring to the ro

re: Any hope for the Woman in White?
 Dec 13 2006, 09:36:43 AM
Good summary Jo. And you know I agree with your assessment :)

Sharon, actually, the notion that the show was just a filler is one I've heard expressed by several people. I think it's a well supported one when you consider the lack of promotion; the total disinterest in producing Programmes or a BW Cast Recording; the fact that all the merchandise offered for sale featured the London Cast (even the calendars). The BW cast were not even asked to take new head shots for the Playbill. I

Dec 12 2006, 10:30:52 AM
Jim and Sharon...obviously we should have been in charge of the marketing for WIW lol!

I enjoyed the sets as well, they were innovative and allowed the story to move very quickly across a number of different scenes. I don't know how they would have pulled it off with traditional set changes. And with all due respect to the London Cast (which I saw as well), the BW Cast was stronger. The depth of talent in the ensemble was what got them through the cast illnesses. I also think it's a

Dec 12 2006, 08:27:50 AM
I agree that most US Theatre-goers don't really know Maria or Michael well enough for their absence to have truly killed the show (although both of them were extremely well-reviewed, even by the critics who didn't care for the show). Having said that however, they could have been huge marketing assets. Maria always gives an intelligent, thoughtful interview, and Michael is an extremely popular talk show guest in the UK...funny, intelligent and frequently a bit irreverent. And they are both gr
 Dec 11 2006, 02:32:45 PM
Munk...I think Sharon was referring to Drowsy with her last comment (not WIW).

Sharon, my thought was that they would consider him for the London Production. Take over roles have never been his thing (Fosco in London being the obvious exception). And I don't see him coming back here for another lengthy stay (at least not in the near future...although I really want to be wrong about that!)

Dec 11 2006, 01:34:34 PM
Jim, you're right that Boyette's group were the primary producers, but ALW was the creative and his name and face are the ones that Joe Public would recognize. He also had the opportunity to plug the show while doing press for POTO (and it wouldn't impact the budget for WIW at all). The fact that he actually went out of his way to avoid talking about WIW is, I think, of note.

Sharon, I agree that it's interesting that Michael was talking with Boyette. But Boyette, to his credit, was

Dec 11 2006, 11:20:17 AM
The lack of publicity surrounding the show was not due to Maria's or Michael's absences. Michael didn't leave the show the first time until the beginning of January. He made almost every performance in October, November and December (he actually missed a couple of shows the last week of December). In addition he was in NYC all of August and September working with the NYC Opera. Since the publicity machine should have been ramping up prior to the show's opening and during the beginning of the r
re: Best confrontation songs
 Aug 30 2006, 11:13:39 AM
"Gethsemane" JSC (the ultimate father/son confrontation)
"Point of No Return" POTO
"Is This What You Call Love" Passion

re: NEW! 'CASTCOM' at the official THE PIRATE QUEEN website
 Aug 29 2006, 11:57:48 AM
And so great to see Daniel Torres again (if only briefly). Go Daniel!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait for this production to reach NYC.

re: Hilarious Comments Overheard By Tourists and Audience Members
 Aug 7 2006, 01:33:59 PM
Another from a matinee performance of "Woman In White". During the scene where Marion accepts a drug-laden drink from the flask of Count Fosco (who she knows is in cahoots with the evil Glyde who is beating her beloved sister), a woman in back of me blurted out "She is SO stupid!!!!!!!!!!!"

It was priceless...

re: Question about Les Miserables Cast Recordings...
 May 30 2006, 02:04:37 PM
Yes, Terrance was Javert on the OBC. David Bryant was Marius and he WAS terrible.

Michael Ball owns that role (at least on the available recordings).

I recommend the 10th Anniversary or the Complete Symphonic (because it is "complete").

I like the OLC as well, because I do like Frances' performance (although I'm in the camp that prefers Lea overall)

re: Nice Ensemble Members
 May 29 2006, 08:51:32 AM
The entire ensemble of Woman in White, but most particularly Daniel Torres, Greg Mills and Lisa Brescia...all amazingly talented and incredibly nice.
re: If you could re-open any show, which one would it be?
 May 25 2006, 11:46:36 AM
Woman In White

With the same cast and a healthy Maria and Michael.

re: Sara Ramirez in Grey's Anatomy
 May 20 2006, 11:28:27 AM
LOVE Sara on Grey's! I think she and George make a sweet, funny couple. Ellen Pompeo looks like a strong wind would blow her over.

Glindafan, wish I'd seen that performance of "Fever"...I bet it was fabulous!

ALW was ROBBED!
 May 17 2006, 01:51:52 PM
"now he can go around telling everyone how it was everyone else's fault WIW closed - lol"

I know your're joking Chernjam (well mostly) but there's a ring of truth to that statement.

There was a great deal of finger-pointing going on with regards to the reason(s) for the closing. And there were many factors involved. But ALW did not support the show the nearly as much as he could have (although from what I have heard he had his reasons). He had a great opportunity to promo

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You