pixeltracker

Question about Les Miserables Cast Recordings...

Question about Les Miserables Cast Recordings...

sadiem100 Profile Photo
sadiem100
#0Question about Les Miserables Cast Recordings...
Posted: 5/29/06 at 3:13pm

I'm looking to buy the Les Mis cast recording, but I can't decide whether I should buy the London or Broadway Original Cast version. Or perhaps the Highlights cd? Thanks for your recommendations. Question about Les Miserables Cast Recordings...

EDIT: Or maybe wait until the new Les Mis opens?

"Electricity sparks inside of me... and I'm free, I'm free."
Updated On: 5/29/06 at 03:13 PM

gavrochegirl
#1re: Question about Les Miserables Cast Recordings...
Posted: 5/29/06 at 3:16pm

If it's not too expensive, try the 10th Anniversary concert cast recording. If that's too expensive, try the Broadway cast recording. Don't buy the London cast recording -- it has a really SLOW tempo. It's a rip off.

What the puck?!

sadiem100 Profile Photo
sadiem100
#2re: Question about Les Miserables Cast Recordings...
Posted: 5/29/06 at 3:18pm

Thanks!

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#3re: Question about Les Miserables Cast Recordings...
Posted: 5/29/06 at 3:24pm

OBC

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

gavrochegirl
#4re: Question about Les Miserables Cast Recordings...
Posted: 5/29/06 at 3:25pm

No prob! re: Question about Les Miserables Cast Recordings...

What the puck?!

Sant
#5re: Question about Les Miserables Cast Recordings...
Posted: 5/29/06 at 3:41pm

Original London Cast Recording.

Best arrangements!

Plus it features Colm Wilkinson, Patti Lupone and Michael Ball as Valjean, Fantine and Marius, respectively.

iluvtheatertrash
#6re: Question about Les Miserables Cast Recordings...
Posted: 5/29/06 at 3:42pm

I personally love the London recording.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#7re: Question about Les Miserables Cast Recordings...
Posted: 5/29/06 at 3:43pm

If you can afford it go with the Complete Symphonic Recording that has the whole show on 3 discs. I did a Broadway program on radio and this is the version listeners like best because it has the entire show.

The concert has nearly the whole show on 2 Cd's but is live so the sound isn't the best. Also if you are going to get the concert you might as well get the DVD to see it as well as hear it.

Both the London cast and Broadway cast recordings are woefully incomplete and spread over two not-very-full Cd's. Overall the performances and orchestrations are better on the Broadway cast.

A single CD offer highlights from the Complete recording but it does sound like clipped out bits and pieces.

I rather doubt with 4 English Cd's on the market (plus the original French version and host of International cast albums) there will be a recording of the new revival.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

loudasthehelliwant Profile Photo
loudasthehelliwant
#8re: Question about Les Miserables Cast Recordings...
Posted: 5/29/06 at 4:12pm

Personally, I would highly advise you NOT to get the OBC recording. All the other English recordings are better, methinks (and possibly all the other international recordings as well). Although some of the actors themselves are good, the OBC as a whole is not a very strong recording (in my opinion). I would say that you're better off going with any other recording.

The other three recordings have their advantages and disadvantages.

The OLC is enjoyable, and it was my first so it forever has a special place in my heart. Its Confrontation and One Day More are still my favorite recorded versions of those songs. The cast is very, very decent.

The Complete Symphonic Recording is COMPLETE, which is nice. It has a great Javert, a great Enjolras, a great Gavroche, a and an overall really good cast (although there are a few weaker links).

Personally, if you were only going to buy one Les Miserables CD (which it sounds like you are, being a sane person, unlike myself), I would highly reccomend the 10th Anniversary Cast CD. The cast is pretty close to flawless. It is live which means there's clapping and stuff, and there's even the occasional mistake ("Down, Javert!"), but the cast is sooooooo strong that it is so worth it. It's also fairly complete, although not as complete as the CSR.

I would also advise you against buying a highlights CD. I know that the highlights CD does not include some of my personal favorites. If you're going to get a recording, you're much better off going with a full recording.

You could always go to a really good library that has CDs and check out Les Miserables. They may only have one version (my library actually has all four, bless it), but that way you couldlisten to it before deciding whether or not you'd be willing to buy it.

"I mean, how many of us could honestly say that at one time or another he hasn't set fire to some great public building?"
Updated On: 5/29/06 at 04:12 PM

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#9re: Question about Les Miserables Cast Recordings...
Posted: 5/29/06 at 4:15pm

I've never heard the 10th Anniversary Recording, but do I have it on DVD.

I'd get the Original Broadway Recording, because you get so many great performers, my favorite being Francis Rufelle as Eponine.

loudasthehelliwant
#10re: Question about Les Miserables Cast Recordings...
Posted: 5/29/06 at 4:18pm

I personally thought Francis was much better on the London Recording. Plus, I strongly, strongly dislike the Marius on the Broadway Recording, so her A Little Fall of Rain is kind of ruined for me on the OBC.

"I mean, how many of us could honestly say that at one time or another he hasn't set fire to some great public building?"
Updated On: 5/29/06 at 04:18 PM

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#11re: Question about Les Miserables Cast Recordings...
Posted: 5/29/06 at 4:20pm

I would get the 10th Anniversary cast CD and/or DVD. Colm as Valjean, Phillip Quast as Javert and Michael Ball as Marius- what could be better re: Question about Les Miserables Cast Recordings...

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

sadiem100 Profile Photo
sadiem100
#12re: Question about Les Miserables Cast Recordings...
Posted: 5/29/06 at 5:18pm

Thanks for your recommendations- my dad, much to my surprise, just went out and bought the complete OBC. Although I may get more than one because I've heard good things about all of the versions.

loudasthehelliwant- I suppose we are both insane.

loudasthehelliwant
#13re: Question about Les Miserables Cast Recordings...
Posted: 5/29/06 at 5:20pm

Sanity is way overrated anyway.

Enjoy your recording(s). re: Question about Les Miserables Cast Recordings...

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#14re: Question about Les Miserables Cast Recordings...
Posted: 5/29/06 at 5:23pm

The OBC is great! Plus you get to hear Francis as Eponine, which IMO is the best thing on the CD!

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#15re: Question about Les Miserables Cast Recordings...
Posted: 5/29/06 at 5:42pm

I'd highly recommend the 10th Anniversary recording. Far and away the best, in my opinion.

lilprima2b Profile Photo
lilprima2b
#16re: Question about Les Miserables Cast Recordings...
Posted: 5/29/06 at 8:14pm

I'm listening to the 10th Anniversary Cast right now... it really is fabulous.

DO NOT get the Complete Symphonic Recording! Gary Morris is AWFUL (the understudy Valjean I saw on the last tour was better), Kaho Shimada (is that her name?) is painful to listen to, Tracy Shayne is far too chirpy. It's nice to listen to for some parts that aren't on any of the other recordings, but overall... waste of money.

"Sawyer, you're going out a youngster, but you've got to come back a star!"

Joshua488
#17re: Question about Les Miserables Cast Recordings...
Posted: 5/29/06 at 9:19pm

I find Frances Ruffelle to be painful to listen to, on both the OBCR and OLCR.

C is for Company
#18re: Question about Les Miserables Cast Recordings...
Posted: 5/29/06 at 9:25pm

My first exposure was seeing the show and then listening to the OBC. I honestly cannot imagine my first listen to be anything other than OBC. I mean if I wanted to get technical, I first knew about Les Mis from the 10th Anniversary concert when I was about 10. But out of many years of listening to OLC, OBC, Concert, etc., I find the best to own first is the OBC.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#19re: Question about Les Miserables Cast Recordings...
Posted: 5/30/06 at 1:12am

Don't get the OBC or the OLC. Or even anything in English. You want THIS one.
Incredibly awesome 1991 Paris revival recording

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

COOOOLkid
#20re: Question about Les Miserables Cast Recordings...
Posted: 5/30/06 at 2:09am

I'm sure he'd rather be able to understand the lyrics, than something in a whole another language.

Between OLC and OBC, I prefer OLC. If you were gonna buy 10th Anniversary, I'd say go for the DVD instead of CD. Argh! I can't pick just one.

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

Kitzarina Profile Photo
Kitzarina
#21re: Question about Les Miserables Cast Recordings...
Posted: 5/30/06 at 8:17am

Complete Symphonic Recording or Tenth Anniversary Cast.

The OLC is fantastic, but not a great representation of what the show is.

The OBC is just a waste of time and money. I got it about 10 years ago and have maybe listened to it five times.

"You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" --Family Guy

"Shut up! It's been 29 years!!!" --the incomparable Patti LuPone in her MUCH DESERVED Tony acceptance speech for Gypsy.

Kitzy's Avatar du Jour: Kitzy as Little Red Ridinghood in her college's production of "Into the Woods"

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#22re: Question about Les Miserables Cast Recordings...
Posted: 5/30/06 at 8:49am

I agree, the Concert or Symphonic albums would be my choices as well - I find myself listening to the former the most. The OLC was my first Les Mis recording, but made for disappointing listening after I'd seen the show. The OBC is just . . . blah.

loudasthehelliwant
#23re: Question about Les Miserables Cast Recordings...
Posted: 5/30/06 at 12:39pm

I have to agree with LizzieCurry (well, almost).

If you eventually want to get really adventurous (possibly after having more than one English recording *cough* *concert cast* *cough* :-P) I would highly recommend the 1991 Paris Cast. Out of my six Les Miserables cast recordings, it is easily the best.

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#24re: Question about Les Miserables Cast Recordings...
Posted: 5/30/06 at 1:06pm

You guys inspired to me to watch the DVD of the concert again, and then I bought the CD. I plan to also get the OLC and the Symphonic Recording too.

On amazon.com, a reviewer said that she felt that the actors on the Symphonic Recording had no Chemistry with each other.