News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for UnderstudiesAndStandbys

Member Name: UnderstudiesAndStandbys
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

DOUBT 2024 Previews
 Mar 9 2024, 05:31:47 PM

Congratulations to Chris McGarry who swung on mid-show as Father Flynn!

This marks Chris' debut as Father Flynn with this run, but he is a veteran DOUBT performer - he was the standby Flynn for the original Broadway production, and was the principal Flynn when the Broadway production went on tour.

If you'd like to catch Chris s/b Father Flynn, he'll be on tonight at 8pm.

MONTY PYTHON'S SPAMALOT Returns to Broadway - Opening Night Reviews
 Mar 1 2024, 01:54:07 PM

If you'd like to come support an understudy, Lily Kaufmann will be making her 2nd cover Lady of the Lake debut tonight at 7:30pm!

Jonah @ Roundabout
 Feb 18 2024, 10:00:28 AM

If you're interested in seeing another interpretation of a role, or want to cheer on an understudy: on February 29 at 7pm, the role of Ana usually played by Gabby Beans will be instead performed by Francesca Fernandez!

Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
 Feb 10 2024, 05:46:41 PM

I just left this afternoon's performance (I was there to see Michael Kuhn's Broadway principal debut as Pirelli, and he smashed it!) and had the chance to see Aaron and Sutton again for the second time.

I think they're maturing in the roles quite a bit in a short amount of time! They're getting more comfortable with each other and the script. I didn't 'dislike' last night's performance, I just thought it was a bit all over the place (but still entertaining!). I was satisfied with what I saw today and would happily come back.

Back to the important part:

Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
 Feb 7 2024, 10:23:43 PM

Here is our first look at the Playbill design for Aaron & Sutton's run in 'Sweeney Todd':

Source: https://assets.playbill.com/playbill-covers/Sweeney-Todd-Playbill-2024-02-09_Web.jpg

DOUBT 2024 Previews
 Feb 6 2024, 09:53:43 PM

Wardelljclark2018 said: "I would love to see Isabel Keating tomorrow at the matinee, and I wonder how easy it will be to get todaytix rush tickets or should I try to get to the box office by 10am and if there has been a line for these first few previews given Tyne's illness? I also wonder with the refunds being given if it will be easier to get a seat this week? Any thoughts?"

Rush tickets were easy to get!

DOUBT 2024 Previews
 Feb 3 2024, 10:27:13 PM

Here's a little blurb I wrote for someone else who asked how Isabel was + first preview:

The artistic director & director of the play, Scott Ellis, spoke to us before the performance began. He thanked us for being at first preview, and gave well wishes to Tyne Daly who is expected to resume performances next week.

Isabel Keating as standby Sister Aloysius may be the most incredible understudy performance I have EVER seen.

Scott told us that the understudies were hired 9 DAYS AGO in a strictly observational capacity, with understudy rehearsals beginning sometime after previews. When Tyne fell ill on Friday, they canceled that evening's performance (the original first preview) expecting her to return on Saturday. When later that evening that did not seem likely, Scott turned to Isabel and asked if she was ready to go on.

Isabel had 24 hours of rehearsal time. Scott said that she had never put on her costume, had never been on the (complex & moving) set, never heard the sound & light cues of the show. The focus shifted to getting her ready to perform for this evening.

Sister Aloysius is the leading role of DOUBT. She is on-stage for 80% of the show (only off-stage for a few scenes), and has hundreds of lines - many more than the other actors.

Isabel did the entire show off-script, with all of the blocking and prop work. She milked every funny moment. She sold every heartbreaking moment. She only called for a line once, but did it in-character and you could blink & miss it.

My mouth was literally agape for the first half of the performance before I remembered my manners.

DOUBT 2024 Previews
 Feb 3 2024, 07:34:37 PM

Rush tickets were available as of a few moments ago at $40! Full view mezzanine. I’m excited to see Isabel in this role, and on first preview too! What a treat. 

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You