News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for TG4802

TG4802 Profile Photo
Member Name: TG4802
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
 Nov 1 2005, 05:19:06 PM
Doug- your money would be better invested in a new bird flu vaccine. I've been lurking on this thread for some time now and I see both sides. That being said, you will never generate the interest you would require to make this a profitable venture. It has been tried here before with limited to no success. The obstacles are too great to overcome in regard to the finished product. The production costs alone will prove too great if all your looking for is a "souvenir" product. You will never be abl
re: The future of the jukebox musical
 Sep 16 2005, 04:05:30 PM
Margo makes an interesting point. The genre has been around since the dawn of musical theatre. They were called trunk box musicals back then and I guess an example would be the staged version of the Marx Bros "Animal Crackers" (1924 I think) which utilized the "pop" songs of Harry Ruby and Bert Kalmar. This is one of the reasons all the harsh criticisms are a bit perplexing for me. The genre has never lent itself to "high drama" but more light entertainment which has always had a place in theatr
re: Orchestra Pit
 Sep 8 2005, 06:19:36 PM
If you are an aspiring or professional musician living in the greater New York area and making a living or a significant portion of your income as a musician then you may want to consider becoming a member. Please understand that with membership comes responsibilities and the belief that the arts play a vital role in society, the arts deserve adequate funding and advocacy for live music is a priority.
re: Orchestra Pit
 Sep 8 2005, 06:00:05 PM
TouchMe--

The union doesn't dictate whether or not a musician auditions, it merely guarantees that the musician is adequately compensated for the time and effort.

re: Virtual Orchestra
 Aug 28 2005, 12:45:13 PM
Being a musician this is a very difficult one for me. The VO is destroying the perception, standard, and quality of live performance.

"Just my 2 cents, but if the virtual orchestra was just a playbak system, then musicians would have been replaced when CD's first became available."

When was the last time you went to a wedding and saw a live band? How many clubs do you frequent that prefer the live band over the deejay? In many cases, live bands in shows have already have b

re: Virtual Orchestra
 Aug 28 2005, 01:10:03 AM
Trpguyy-

You've got to be kidding. The VO is a playback device. Would you just as soon do the production with tape? One of the most important aspects of live musical theatre is the interaction between the pit and the stage. How do you tell a performer to control their emotion to accommodate a machine? The sole purpose of the virtual orchestra machine is to replace live musicians. Is society really ready to give up its own aeshetics for profit? Go with as many live musicians as possible

re: Patti Lupone as Mrs. Lovett...I am still upset
 Jun 13 2005, 12:01:42 PM
M.B. The way I understand it, Equity and the Musicians are negotiating with the employer on how to best fulfill the provisions of two entirely different contracts. There's no reason why Equity would have to negotiate with another entertainment union for anything. They all work together.
French Woods
 May 9 2005, 02:26:22 PM
I was just wondering if anyone is familiar with the summer program "French Woods". Thoughts, opinions, all are welcome.

re: More 'Sweeney' casting news
 May 6 2005, 05:18:51 PM
I didn't read any other reviews, not really worth the effort. The Shenton article supports my opinion, what of it?
re: More 'Sweeney' casting news
 May 6 2005, 05:06:48 PM
Check out the BBC review by Mark Shenton from the West End production:

Sweeney Todd (Trafalgar Studios at the Whitehall Theatre)

This year alone I've already seen Sondheim and Wheeler's macabre 1979 musical version of the Sweeney Todd legend in two orchestrally lush stagings at London's Royal Opera House and at New York City Opera (with Elaine Paige
starring in the latter).
"This version of the musical short-changes its audience on just about everything..."

re: All shook up looks good
 Apr 21 2005, 02:59:33 PM
Hmmmmm....Since the show started public performances at the Palace on Broadway, Cheyenne hasn't missed a performance.
re: Why I won't be interested in attending the SWEENEY TODD revival
 Mar 23 2005, 12:50:44 AM
If I hear the phrase "artistic concept"one more time I think I may explode. This is Sondheim for god's sake. It's about the score. Why short change it? Does anyone really believe that the visual presentation will make up for the lack of depth musically? It's about how the score serves the book and how the book serves the score. I'm a fan of the Maestro's work and this to me is an aberration.
re: Knock 'em dead, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels!!
 Mar 3 2005, 06:18:59 PM
After all, it is a MUSICal.
re: Knock 'em dead, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels!!
 Mar 3 2005, 06:14:40 PM
Break a leg Musicians, Cast and Crew!
re: Why do musicians in long running shows continue to read their score?
 Feb 18 2005, 03:04:24 PM
Unfortunately Clouseau, this is no longer the case. Most road shows are self contained and utilize a watered down version of the original Broadway orchestration using half the number of musicians, if that, and/or the virtual orchestra machine, a computerized playback device. Yes folks, the audiences are getting ripped off.
re: Best orchestration ever
 Feb 12 2005, 12:17:54 PM
Thanks, forgot about Ramin, he belongs on my list as well. Ramin and Kostal also helped Bernstein prepare the Symphonic Dances from West Side Story as well as the opera A Quiet Place.

re: Best orchestration ever
 Feb 12 2005, 11:28:35 AM
I'm surprised no one mentioned "A Chorus Line". Truly one of the best orchestrated shows this musician has played. Bernstein did his own orchestrations and was quite good, but tended to rely on classically orchestral techniques to convey commercial concepts. For instance, the "Dance at the Gym" from WSS is written in 12/8 when he was looking for a swing 4 feel.

Billy Beyers
Jonathan Tunic
Ralph Burns

reSondheim has seen it..I think
 Feb 3 2005, 04:36:59 PM
Can't wait.....$100 to hear amateur musicians play one of Sondheim's more intricate scores.
don't be so sure!
 Jun 28 2004, 04:12:04 PM
Local One, I hope you're right, but having been there only a year ago, it's hard to be optimistic. They're pulling the same crap with AEA that they pulled with 802. You give and give and they get up accusing that you're not bargaining in good faith. The proposal Equity has on the table in my view is already highly concessionary. Local 1 would be smart to keep Plum out in July.
re: re: re: re: re: re: The Grosses Are In
 May 4 2004, 06:37:19 PM
Plum,
Please elaborate. I'm curious what facets of Broadway economics you suggest could change the current profitability, (25% higher than this time last year) or lack of, that could make Broadway more accessible.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You