pixeltracker

Here are SWEENEY TODD production photos

Here are SWEENEY TODD production photos

jim Profile Photo
jim
#0Here are SWEENEY TODD production photos
Posted: 2/2/05 at 10:21pm

Here are the photos from the production. A big thank you to Talkin broadway's Alan Scott who provided the link at that site.

Todd photos

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#1re: Here are SWEENEY TODD production photos
Posted: 2/2/05 at 10:26pm

Is Ms. Lovett being played by a male?

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#2re: Here are SWEENEY TODD production photos
Posted: 2/2/05 at 10:28pm

OMG, those look creepy. I want to see it!!!

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#3re: Here are SWEENEY TODD production photos
Posted: 2/2/05 at 10:28pm

I don't think so.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#4re: Here are SWEENEY TODD production photos
Posted: 2/2/05 at 10:30pm

Some of those pictures of Ms. Lovett looks like a male in drag and others look like a woman. I can't tell.

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#5re: Here are SWEENEY TODD production photos
Posted: 2/2/05 at 10:35pm

I read a review which said that it's a (tuba playing) woman.

Staci1818 Profile Photo
Staci1818
#6re: Here are SWEENEY TODD production photos
Posted: 2/2/05 at 10:38pm

Karen Mann plays Mrs. Lovett. I belive she plays trumpet, but I may be wrong.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#7re: Here are SWEENEY TODD production photos
Posted: 2/2/05 at 10:43pm

You know, I thought Mrs. Lovett looked like a guy in drag too. Poor woman...

Rose_MacShane Profile Photo
Rose_MacShane
#8re: Here are SWEENEY TODD production photos
Posted: 2/2/05 at 10:43pm

She does. In one picture, you can see a trumpet in her lap.

http://community.livejournal.com/ltd_brands_suck/

RumTumTugger22 Profile Photo
RumTumTugger22
#9re: Here are SWEENEY TODD production photos
Posted: 2/2/05 at 10:44pm

looks insane!
OMG I wanna see it!

CAGES OR WINGS? WHICH DO YOU PREFER? ASK THE BIRDS. FEAR OR LOVE, BABY? DON'T SAY THE ANSWER, ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS.

BroadwayBound06 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound06
#10re: Here are SWEENEY TODD production photos
Posted: 2/2/05 at 11:16pm

I had an orgasm just looking at the pictures. It's a must see.

Allie
#11re: Here are SWEENEY TODD production photos

I've never seen the show, but it looks terrifying. But in a good way.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#12re: Here are SWEENEY TODD production photos

I just don't get it at all. I just can't imagine hearing SWEENEY TODD without the complete orchestrations. Have the unions flown into a rage yet?

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#13re: Here are SWEENEY TODD production photos
Posted: 2/2/05 at 11:20pm

What a BIG difference compared to the original production. It doesn't look like it takes place in the same time era though.

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

BroadwayBound06 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound06
#14re: Here are SWEENEY TODD production photos
Posted: 2/2/05 at 11:30pm

What does the era matter? It's the story that counts, date is such a silly technicality sometimes, especially when you're trying to acomplish somthing like this. Visually the show looks brilliant.
I cannot wait. I want to go to Bath right now to see it.

jim Profile Photo
jim
#15re:Karen Mann plays Mrs. Lovett.Plays trumpet
Posted: 2/3/05 at 8:52am

From the program:
Karen trained at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama.
Over 40 productions including Romeo and Juliet, A Streetcar Named Desire, Hedda Gabler, Guys and Dolls, Into the Woods, and Moll Flanders. In London, she has worked with the Cherub Theatre Company, the Theatre of Comedy and the Bubble Theatre.
She has appeared in Return to the Forbidden Planet.
At Watermill she has appeared in Cabaret, The Wizard of Oz, Tom Jones,Irma laDouce, Piaf, Fiddler on the Roof and The Gondoliers (which transferred to the Apollo in London's West End).
For television, Karen played a mad Spanish woman in My Family and the woman of death in Death of a Salesman (STV).

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#16re:Karen Mann plays Mrs. Lovett.Plays trumpet
Posted: 2/3/05 at 8:53am

Ah, ok.

Chrysanthemum62001
#17re:Karen Mann plays Mrs. Lovett.Plays trumpet
Posted: 2/3/05 at 8:56am

I have to say, it looks really cool.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#18re:Karen Mann plays Mrs. Lovett.Plays trumpet
Posted: 2/3/05 at 9:30am

I just don't know how I feel about this. I believe it is one of Sondheim's best, if not the best show he's ever written, and this production scares me (and not for the right reasons) but I shall try to keep an open mind about the whole affair...

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#19re:Karen Mann plays Mrs. Lovett.Plays trumpet
Posted: 2/3/05 at 9:45am

Can anyone who has seen it comment on how the concept of the cast as the orchestra works, exactly? It wasn't much of a stretch in Cabaret with the nightclub setting and all, but I'm not quite sure how it fits for Sweeney.

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

DancerGirl16 Profile Photo
DancerGirl16
#20re:Karen Mann plays Mrs. Lovett.Plays trumpet
Posted: 2/3/05 at 10:53am

Lol so true, but very funny (about mrs lovette) in a creepy sort of way

When someone blunders, we say that he makes a misstep. Is it then not clear that all the ills of mankind, all the tragic misfortunes that fill our history books, all the political blunders, all the failures of the great leaders have arisen merely from a lack of skill in dancing. - Moliere

Judge Turpin Profile Photo
Judge Turpin
#21re:Karen Mann plays Mrs. Lovett.Plays trumpet
Posted: 2/3/05 at 11:41am

I was in London two weeks ago and got the chance to see this production of Sweeney Todd. It was absolutely mindblowing. I have seen both the concert with Patti LuPone and George Hearn and the original version with Angela Lansbury on PBS and this is nothing like those. The cast was made up of only 12 people and they all played instruments and thus were the orchestra as well as being the cast. Each instrument that they played was very specific; for example, Johanna and Anthony played the cello. It was as if the instruments they played revealed something about their characters. If the actors were all on stage the entire production, sitting in chairs on either side of the stage. Without there being any dancing, the whole show was so well choreographed as every movement was so planned out. Nothing was done on a whim or out of practicality, it was all done on purpose.

I don't want to reveal the interesting twist to the show, which in no way changes the plot, but simply adds to the horror. And for that matter, the show was scary as hell. I sat in the second row of the stalls (orchestra) and the show was so intense and in your face. And the theater was so small that it was claustrophobic, adding to the allure of it all. Everyone who knows anything of the show can guess that at least one person gets killed by the demon barber. Because the show is done in a minimalist way, buckets of blood are used in great effect to tell us that someone has just gotten their throat slit. The costuming and set go along with this minimalist approach and the whole thing has a Frankenstein/Victorian/modern look to it. Without many items on stage, those that are there are perfectly selected, from the toy doll in a cage to the heavily utilized coffin.

The production is a must-see. I already loved Sweeny Todd and Sondheim, but this show became my favorite Sondheim piece (which is very hard to do as the recent Assasins production was so great) and tops my list of the best musicals I've ever seen.

got-a-light Profile Photo
got-a-light
#22re:Karen Mann plays Mrs. Lovett.Plays trumpet
Posted: 2/3/05 at 11:59am

I think Studio 54 might have found it's next tenant! It looks like this production would be great in that space!

LuvUrBatBoy Profile Photo
LuvUrBatBoy
#23re:Karen Mann plays Mrs. Lovett.Plays trumpet
Posted: 2/3/05 at 12:26pm

Okay why is Johanna a brunette?

There's only like 4 songs in the show that deal with her having "yellow" hair

Yes that's me. No, it's not a Rent homage.

jim Profile Photo
jim
#24re:bit of a spoiler below
Posted: 2/3/05 at 12:51pm

i think it is a director's choice.Everything about this production goes against any other production you may have seen.It's pretty clear that Johanna is mentally challenged. When she is not playing the cello or performing, she sits there practically drooling....with her mouth open. I got the sense that this was suppose to be set in an asylum. Someone at another board has posted that it could all be taking place in Tobias' mind.

Videos