News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Klem

Member Name: Klem
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Musicals that were announced but never materialised.
 May 23 2020, 04:29:36 PM

INTERMISSION! THE MUSICAL! , a sensationally funny new musical from the master of wacky comedies including cinematic sensations Airplane! and The Naked Gun, Jerry Zucker. INTERMISSION! is the story of two dim-witted brothers who come to Potku-Potku (a tiny monarchy located... somewhere...) after receiving an email from someone they never heard of, claiming that money has been left to them by a relative they never knew they had. They each fall in love, get caught up in a military coup, join a

Love Never Dies coming to Blu-ray February 7, 2012!
 Dec 6 2011, 06:38:54 PM
Love Never Dies Blu-ray
from www.blu-ray.com

Next February, Universal Studios Home Entertainment will bring Love Never Dies to Blu-ray. Filmed before a live audience, this lavish musical picks up ten years after the events of The Phantom of the Opera in order to further examine the relationship between Christine and the Phantom.

From Universal's official synopsis:

"The year is 1907. It is 10 years after the Phantom's disappearance from the Paris Opera H

re: Catch Me If You Can (Sneak Peek in Seattle)
 Jun 10 2009, 11:34:04 PM
I attended last night and now I'm really looking forward to seeing how this all comes together. I was sold before Norbert came out and I thought he would be the selling point for me. It was an amazing turnout for a Spotlight night and I think this will have a great run in Seattle.

I've already picked up tickets for July 23rd to see the first public presentation. My tickets are in row A in the orchestra, so I'm doubly excited now! I love the concept as described last night, and I lov

re: Shrek Opening Night Review
 Sep 11 2008, 01:52:59 PM
I'm really not sure how the Seattle Times reviewer thought the tap dancing mice were goats...The song that's referred to involves the Pied Piper!

I saw the show again last night (after seeing the first preview last month) and I think it's become a much, much better show. When I first heard they were making a musical of "Shrek", I hated the idea, but I think this show has a lot of promise. I'm interested in reading more reviews, the press table last night had a ton of stuff on it, so I k

Fairytales Should Really Be Updated
 Aug 18 2008, 01:03:48 AM
It's the only song from the movie that survived the transition.
Fairytales Should Really Be Updated
 Aug 17 2008, 05:27:58 PM
The show curtain isn't very exciting. It's like a huge green "crepe paperish" drop. When the audience enters they see the drop and a giant tree. On the tree things were projected on it like sets of eyes, dripping slime and an occasional bug. It was very green. When I first saw it, I was instantly reminded of the set for Tarzan because the drop and the tree resembled a lot of vines.

There isn't a costume for Gingy. It's a flat puppet on a baking tray. The Sugar Plum Fairy (Haven) control

re: Shrek the musical
 Aug 16 2008, 10:35:29 AM
Haven Burton plays Gingy and the Sugar Plum Fairy
Jennifer Cody plays Cobbler's Elf and a Blind Mouse
Bobby Day is Pig #2
Ryan Duncan is Pig #3 and the Pied Piper
Sarah Jane Everman is Ugly Duckling and a Blind Mouse
Aymee Garcia is Momma Bear
Lisa Ho is Baby Bear and the 3rd Blind Mouse
Chris Hoch is the Big Bad Wolf
Danette Holden is Flutterbell (the Tinkerbell)
Jacob Ming-Trent is Pig #1
Denny Paschall is Peter Pan
Greg Reuter is a Gnome (very Trave

Fairytales Can Be Rewritten
 Aug 16 2008, 10:27:09 AM
Orchestrations were done by Danny Troob
 Aug 16 2008, 12:21:09 AM
Sure:

Haven Burton u/s Fiona and Teen Fiona
Bobby Dave u/s Donkey
Ryan Duncan u/s Donkey
Sarah Jane Everman u/s Fiona
Aymee Garcia u/s Dragon
Chris Hoch u/s Lord Farquaad
Jacob Ming-Trent u/s Shrek
Denny Paschall u/s Pinocchio
Greg Reuter u/s Lord Farquaad
Noah Rivera u/s Pinocchio
Rachel Stern u/s Dragon
Keaton Whittaker u/s Young Shrek

re: Shrek the musical
 Aug 16 2008, 12:16:56 AM
There's another thread answering questions like this, but to help you out:

1)John is great in the show. He's does a great job with Pinocchio and he uses a voice similar to the one in the movie. His costume is made up of tights with printed "wooden" arms and legs and with a short sleeve shirt and shorts. He also sports a nose that does indeed grow up to 3 times it's length when he lies. He has a pretty decent part (semi big role as "leader" of the fairy tale creatures) and he is hilariou

Aug 16 2008, 12:03:03 AM
I saw it last night as well, and I can answer some more of the questions added. Those who chimed in before me did a pretty good recap so far. My seats were in the front orchestra section, so I may have picked up some nuances missed by others. I'll also add some other thoughts that I had on the show as well as my stage door experience.

1) Marissa O'Donnell was great, as was Leah Greenhaus as the young Fiona. I thought the show started to pick up with "I Know it's Today" with the three Fionas. I think that's the only time that we see her, but I may be mistaken.

2)Adam Riegler was young Shrek (the question was asked about Adam Regal?) Young Shrek didn't have anything to do but stand around, be sung to, and then walk around before exiting the stage. The show begins with his parents kicking him out on his birthday and that scene became a bit redundant when it was resung about in Act II. They seriously could have a better opening.

3)Does Sutton tap dance? Heck YES! With a big group of tap dancing rats! Great moment from Act II!

4)Sutton's Ogre costume/makeup looked just as good as Brian's which was interesting because his make up process is a 2 hour (they got the time down some more) process. I couldn't tell if it was a double even from up close, but I do believe it was Sutton under that makeup. Of course, she does have a wig that probably made things faster for her.

5)Jenn Cody had 3 roles (Cobbler's Elf, Duloc Greeter and Blind Mouse). She was good in all 3, but really stood out as the Cobbler's Elf. She's under a lot of costuming, so it wasn't easy to know it was her without the help of the program.

6)ChecksintheMayo did a great job of recapping the 1st act. I think if I had to pick out something that I wasn't too kean on was the Dragon sequences. I was wondering if there was a technical difficulty because (if you saw the movie) you know the big sequence where the Dragon shows up at the end. Well, last night the stained glass broke and all we saw were Donkey and Kecia Lewis Evans peeking out. I was looking for a return of the Dragon puppet so it was very anti-climatic. The whole Dragon thing didn't work for me and I hope that it's rethought. I love the puppet, but the rest of the "dragonettes" most likely will confuse the audience. I'm not sure if those costumes were mentioned before but the Dragon puppet was awesome and huge, but the rest of it's body was made up of Kecia and other cast members wearing reddish costume with spikes sticking out of them (I'm assuming to represent the Dragon's body). On all of the costumes, 2 of the spikes were placed in a way that kept me wondering if Madonna's dresser had help in the designs.

7)Overall, I thought the casting was perfect for all of the roles. Acting was not a weak link at all and I liked the scenic/lighting designs and costumes (except of course the Dragonettes). I think, if anything, the music needs some work. I was a little bummed that they didn't incorporate "Shrek's Theme"(the one that opens all 3 movies under the Dreamwork's title) anywhere. With such care as to tie the show to the movie with costumes and characters it would've been a nice touch. There were not many songs that I came away with "playing in my head" afterwards.

I stage doored afterwards and was surprised by how few people were there. Most likely because it's not an easy stage door to find and it's located next to the stinkiest dumpsters in Seattle. I met all of the cast member and had pics taken with Sutton, Brian and John and got autographs from most anyone who came out. Everyone was thankful for us being a wonderful opening audience and very accomodating for pics and more. Most everyone came out within a 1/2 hour, but Brian came out close to midnight. We stuck it out because everyone who came out said he was coming out soon. We asked about the make up process and he said that it takes about 2 hours, and they're hoping to get it down even more. We also asked about how long it takes to remove the make up. He asked the time and he said that pretty much answers the question.

Oh, regarding the Robin Hood sequence, it wasn't in the show which was disappointing to me too. It needed it to show how badass Fiona could be. We did however get a great burping/farting duet from Sutton and Brian. I think that the first that I saw that in a show.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You