News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for EatTheBrownie

Member Name: EatTheBrownie
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

American Theater Company to stage the original 'Hair'  May 16 2012, 10:18:11 PM
YES! It is Eyes Look Your Last/Sentimental Ending. I remembered the Eyes Look Your Last Part, but that part segues into the last song... couldn't remember... but now I'll never forget.

Sentimental Ending and it's bizarre chanting. How could I ever forget???

American Theater Company to stage the original 'Hair'  May 16 2012, 10:03:19 PM
The off-Broadway script is published in a book called Rock Musicals from the 70s. It has a fake libretto for Tommy in it as well based on the album notes (didn't become a musical until the 90s.

Cut songs include (from memory) Manhattan Beggar, The Bed, The Climax, Dead End, and a different finale... Don't remember if it's So Sing The Children of the Avenue or Washing The World or what, it's not Let The Sun Shine.

There are probably more changes too, just don't remember.

American Theater Company to stage the original 'Hair'  May 16 2012, 10:03:19 PM
The off-Broadway script is published in a book called Rock Musicals from the 70s. It has a fake libretto for Tommy in it as well based on the album notes (didn't become a musical until the 90s.

Cut songs include (from memory) Manhattan Beggar, The Bed, The Climax, Dead End, and a different finale... Don't remember if it's So Sing The Children of the Avenue or Washing The World or what, it's not Let The Sun Shine.

There are probably more changes too, just don't remember.

Newsies Now Open-Ended  May 16 2012, 09:47:20 PM
Flop movie... I hate to keep pounding that into your heads.

People BEGGED Disney to license it. There were illegal HS productions happening because there is a huge cult following for the film now. The movie still remains an embarrassment to the company, to Eisner who greenlit the thing thinking he could be the man responsible for the return of the musical, and for the lead actor (Christian Bale) who to this day doesn't like talking about it and when he does he mentions how he never want

PRISCILLA Closing June 24th  May 16 2012, 06:40:29 PM
Thank God... I'm sick and tired of those girls walking around Times Square in that silver drag queen getup. It's almost as embarrassing as the Chicago girls. If another girl pretends to do Fosse for me while handing me a flyer, I'm going to Rich Man's Frugue her a$$ to Jersey.
American Theater Company to stage the original 'Hair'  May 16 2012, 05:37:00 PM
The "new" lyrics to Aquarius probably refer to this:

http://www.hairthemusical.com/

Just click on the video for the "2008 remake".

American Theater Company to stage the original 'Hair'  May 16 2012, 05:15:38 PM
Great... Manhattan Beggar sees the light of day, again...
Cher Plays All the Roles in West Side Story  May 16 2012, 05:00:59 PM
I wish Cher would do a more grown up musical now that she's older.

Follies anyone? That sad thing is shed probably be scarily appropriate for about half the cast.

Surprised Newsies hasn't extended  May 16 2012, 01:49:20 AM
And one has to remember that Newsies wasn't just a low key movie in 1992... it was publicized as THE return of the movie musical. The trailer showed clips of classic Disney films like Beauty and the Beast, Honey, I Shrunk The Kids, and Who Framed Roger Rabbit? and painted Newsies as the next big thing. Newsies was supposed to be a big deal.

It, too, was widely marketed all over the Disney Channel. It also featured three HUGE child actors... Christian Bale was critically acclaimed for Em

Surprised Newsies hasn't extended  May 16 2012, 01:39:56 AM
Wait a second, kid, I'm not saying Newsies is bad. I'm refuting the idea that the show will be successful anywhere solely because of it's subject matter.

It wasn't in 1992.

A huge flop of a movie becoming a wildly successful musical is the exception and not the rule. Xanadu doesn't count because they made a parody of the entire thing.

Surprised Newsies hasn't extended  May 16 2012, 01:11:39 AM
^ That's why the movie was SO successful... oh, wait, it wasn't. It was one of the studio's biggest bombs of all time. An embarrassment.

Newsies doing well on Broadway is one of the biggest flukes ever. I'm sure Michael Eisner is sitting somewhere scratching his head shouting "really?!" over and over again.

Best seats for Newsies?  May 16 2012, 12:05:50 AM
Front row. Makes it easier to play the "who forgot to wear a dance belt" game. Or to just stare are all of the boys packages in general.
This is annoying...but...  May 15 2012, 08:24:42 PM
Babies on the Brain - Brownstone. Brian D'Arcy sings it on the studio cast album.
Julianne Hough Wants to Play Elphaba in Wicked Film  May 15 2012, 03:57:22 AM
Oh, maybe Disney's rights on the MGM stuff did end up dying out.

And yes, you're right about Disney's version not interfering, but the details (and something that Disney is oh so sneaky about) is that now there are two Wickeds. The novel which Disney owns film rights to and the musical, while based on the novel, now exists as a separate entity in Hollywood. It would seem that it all could end up in legal battles if the cards aren't played right.

Universal Pictures bought the th

Julianne Hough Wants to Play Elphaba in Wicked Film  May 15 2012, 03:28:08 AM
Part of the problem is also going to lie in the fact that Universal only owns the film rights to the musical and NOT the film rights to Maguire's novel... doesn't Disney own those?

There are countless parallels, references, and expansions of things in the movie that are detailed in the novel. Things that they disregarded for the stage version (like actually showing Dorothy) are things that will probably want to be explored in a full-length feature film. The entire concept of Wicked, in

Julianne Hough Wants to Play Elphaba in Wicked Film  May 14 2012, 05:48:01 PM
Ah... Like how Molly Shannon, Adam Sandler, Will Ferral, Kirsten Wiig, and every other SNL cast members don't get leads in movies either?

Glee is more than a TV show... It's a phenomenon and Lea Michelle is one of the central parts of it.

Who is your favourite EVITA?  May 14 2012, 05:38:19 PM
Madonna... On her acting, alone... I don't blame her for the soundtrack because it's overproduced across the board and she clearly was instructed to sing it so that the music would fit the very music video dubbing that was used in the film.

She might have a limited range, but her voice can be powerful.

I think one of the real reasons her Eva works so well, despite her acting, is the addition of the Another Suitcase sequence. We see her venerable... she has no idea that Migaldi

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/13/12  May 14 2012, 05:19:58 PM
I have my rare moments.
Julianne Hough Wants to Play Elphaba in Wicked Film  May 14 2012, 05:18:39 PM
Lea Michelle has that part in the bag for the next five years... She'd literally poison, f-ck, backstab, or murder anyone who got in her way. Everyone in Hollywood knows it. Universal knows it... They almost let her do the part on Broadway before Glee hit gianourmously. Unless she disappears completely after Glee gets cancelled and/or her character is finally let go from the show, she'll be a finalist for the role.

She's guaranteed ticket sales. And despite how much people hate her, I k

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/13/12  May 14 2012, 04:58:56 PM
Or better yet, "Brought to you by Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark - The official musical of America"
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You