pixeltracker

Surprised Newsies hasn't extended

Surprised Newsies hasn't extended

The Pud
#1Surprised Newsies hasn't extended
Posted: 5/15/12 at 6:56pm

Given that Newsies has 8 Tony noms, I am surprised that they havn't extended the show. Could they possibly be changing theaters? Could they afford to wait until June 10th to make that call?

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#2Surprised Newsies hasn't extended
Posted: 5/15/12 at 7:01pm

It says in the article in Entertainment Weekly this week that.

"The company is expected to announce an open-ended run." it doesn't say when to expect the announcement.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

The Pud
#2Surprised Newsies hasn't extended
Posted: 5/15/12 at 7:05pm

Thanks for the info. I understand that Disney runs things a little differently than the rest of BW. Do they own some of their own theaters? I know the Nederlanders own about 11 of them.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#3Surprised Newsies hasn't extended
Posted: 5/15/12 at 7:11pm

Disney owns the New Amsterdam.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

TheatreKid3
#4Surprised Newsies hasn't extended
Posted: 5/15/12 at 7:12pm

The Nederlanders own 9 Broadway Theatres:
-Nederlander
-Marquis
-Palace
-Minskoff
-Rodgers
-Lunt-Fontanne
-Brooks-Atkinson
-Gershwin
-Neil Simon

Disney owns the New Amsterdam (When they first acquired it they took out a 99 year lease). Outside of that theatre, Disney operates similarly to most other producers and productions.

Also, outside of the New Amsterdam, Disney exclusively uses Nederlander theatres for their productions. Updated On: 5/15/12 at 07:12 PM

bobs3
#5Surprised Newsies hasn't extended
Posted: 5/15/12 at 7:13pm

Disney owns the New Amsterdam (I'm not sure if they operate it or if the Nederlanders operate it). I think all of the other Disney produced shows on Broadway have always been in Nederlander theatres.

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#6Surprised Newsies hasn't extended
Posted: 5/15/12 at 7:16pm

It could be -- just guessing -- that Jeremy Jordan's agents are waiting to see if he wins a Tony for NEWSIES (I think he will) so they can re-negotiate his contract for an open-ended run.

The Pud
#7Surprised Newsies hasn't extended
Posted: 5/15/12 at 7:18pm

I guess a 99 year lease pretty much gives Disney control even if the Nederlanders still own the building, there will probably only be Disney productions held there.

TheatreKid3
#8Surprised Newsies hasn't extended
Posted: 5/15/12 at 7:21pm

Yeah, Disney's control over the New Amsterdam ensures that they will have at least one show on Broadway. If it wasn't for Disney, the New Amsterdam might not even be operational at the moment. They paid for its entire gut and renovation. Now it is one of, if not the, most beautiful theatres in the Theatre District( or all of New York, for that matter). Disney doing this was also detrimental to the redevelopment of the 42nd Street area.

Updated On: 5/15/12 at 07:21 PM

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#9Surprised Newsies hasn't extended
Posted: 5/15/12 at 7:22pm

@EggHumor I think after whatever Tony Award that the show wins (and it will no doubt win at least one) then either that evening or on the 11th they will announce an open-ended run and/or national tour.

The Pud
#10Surprised Newsies hasn't extended
Posted: 5/15/12 at 7:27pm

Detrimental? How so.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#11Surprised Newsies hasn't extended
Posted: 5/15/12 at 7:51pm

Times Square has become Disneyfied. It has lost any New York Feel and atmosphere it ever had and has become a Disneyesque attraction.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

Jonwo
#12Surprised Newsies hasn't extended
Posted: 5/15/12 at 7:53pm

I do wonder whether Disney considered other Nederlander theatres before settling for the Nederlander although I think they were offered it by the Nederlanders, it's perfect for Newsies despite not being in a desirable location.

Didn't The Lion King move due to Cameron Mackintosh wanting to have Mary Poppins at the New Amsterdam. In hindsight, it was a good move as Lion King is still packing them in at the Minskoff, not that it was struggling at the New Amsterdam but they actually have better gross potential due to only having two levels and slightly less seats,

The Pud
#13Surprised Newsies hasn't extended
Posted: 5/15/12 at 7:54pm

Everyone is always looking up at those ghastly blinking, blasting
moving overpowering, horrendous billboards, that is what I think of when you say Times Square, well and of course New Years Eve.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#14Surprised Newsies hasn't extended
Posted: 5/15/12 at 8:18pm

Slightly off-topic, but maybe not ...

I'm surprised producing companies are allowed to own the Broadway theatres. This is the same thing that ultimately destroyed the Hollywood studio system. The federal government broke up the "monopolies" and said studios couldn't own and control the theatres.

So why isn't that rule still in place today? Why doesn't it apply to the Broadway theatres?

By the way, the government said they could own one or two "flagship" theatres. That's why Disney can own the El Capitan in Hollywood. But it's a fraction of a percentage of the theatres that are out there. With Broadway, you have a much smaller number to work with. I would think it would be illegal to own more than one (at the very most).

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

TheatreKid3
#15Surprised Newsies hasn't extended
Posted: 5/15/12 at 9:45pm

Pud - the 42nd Street area where the New Amsterdam is situated used to be a very dirty, sketchy area of Times Square. Disney's acquisition and revitalization of the New Amsterdam started a chain reaction that ultimately resulted in the area becoming a much more clean and tourist/family friendly environment. It's discussed in many books and articles.

Playbilly Profile Photo
Playbilly
#16Surprised Newsies hasn't extended
Posted: 5/15/12 at 9:50pm

Some of us miss the seedy Times Square. At least there weren't people dressed like Elmo back then. Well, maybe people DID dress like Elmo, but they weren't wearing Elmo costumes.

"Through The Sacrifice You Made, We Can't Believe The Price You Paid..For Love!"

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#17Surprised Newsies hasn't extended
Posted: 5/15/12 at 9:56pm

Once they put tables and chairs in TS forty duece was taken off life supportand was declared dead

Newsis will extend and will jack up prices after the Tonys

Poster Emeritus

TheatreKid3
#18Surprised Newsies hasn't extended
Posted: 5/15/12 at 10:22pm

I honestly would not be surprised if this show moves theaters at some point, but I think the Nederlander is the perfect home for it. I don't know what it is, but it just feels right. Size-wize it is perfect, in my opinion.

Jonwo
#19Surprised Newsies hasn't extended
Posted: 5/15/12 at 10:38pm

Disney would be mad to move to a bigger theatre just because it's selling so well and I agree, it fits the Nederlander like a glove and I think if they stay put, it'll have a healthy run.

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#20Surprised Newsies hasn't extended
Posted: 5/15/12 at 10:47pm

The Neaderlander Org had to literally beg Disney to take the show to broadway, i have a friend in the cast who told me he didnt find out about the transfer till they were told they were going to be in the Macys Thansgiving Day Parade....a full 2 months after Papermill...if i had to bed though Disney probably wanted the Lunt Fontanne (back) after they had occupied it for 10 years, but Ghosts producers leterally "called" it in June of last year forcing Addams Family to post since the producers publicly said they wanted to instal the tour version, whoch was much better received, but the Neaderlanders forced them out for Ghost....its only a couple hundred seats more than the Neadrlander and it is right off Time Square and doesnt have to deal with the over crowding of 44th and 45th but gets just as much foot traffic...i would possibly guess Disney on waiting for Ghost to flop which it likly will to move Newsies to the Lunt Fontaine aka disney is praying for Ghost's closing Notice to come soon and if it doesnt post a notice right after the Tony's Newsies will remain in the Neaderlander

TheatreKid3
#21Surprised Newsies hasn't extended
Posted: 5/15/12 at 11:12pm

Let me start by reiterating that I think the show has a perfect home in the Nederlander.

But...

The only theatre I could see them moving it to would be the Lunt-Fontanne, just because they seem to love it. It's as close to a second permanent venue for Disney outside the New Amsterdam, so it only seems natural they would want it back. Porgy is set to leave the Rodgers in a few months, so that might be a viable option, but I would bet money, if the show did move, it would go to the Lunt-Fontanne.

Updated On: 5/15/12 at 11:12 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#22Surprised Newsies hasn't extended
Posted: 5/15/12 at 11:13pm

Disney is expected to announce Newsies as an open-run by the Tonys. Trust me on that.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

TheatreKid3
#23Surprised Newsies hasn't extended
Posted: 5/15/12 at 11:16pm

I wouldn't be surprised if they announced it the night of, especially if it wins Best Musical. They may include it in their acceptance speech.

Updated On: 5/15/12 at 11:16 PM

Jonwo
#24Surprised Newsies hasn't extended
Posted: 5/15/12 at 11:27pm

I wouldn't surprise if they announce the national tour on Tony night in addition to the open run which we know is going to happen, they're not closing a show that is making $900,000 a week. I still think they should stay put at the Nederlander rather than risk losing momentum by moving the show to a bigger theatre.

Updated On: 5/15/12 at 11:27 PM