News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for HogansHero

HogansHero Profile Photo
Member Name: HogansHero
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Canceled Productions That Eventually Happened?  Apr 25 2024, 10:55:30 PM

I have a vague recollection (i.e., I could easily be wrong or have the facts mangled) that the marquee for the infamous production of Mata Hari was already up on Broadway when it closed out of town. I know it was done at the York much later (probably late 90s). Not sure if this qualifies but it gets close (if I am right).

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews  Apr 21 2024, 11:10:05 PM

A couple of quick thoughts.

1. It is almost exactly 19 years since my favorite day in Broadway history, the day New York Magazine unceremoniously dumped John Simon. And today, Sara Holdren, who has finally found the antidote to the stench in his office, beats him at his own game, and would show him how to do it without applying his usual overdose of intentional bigotry: "[A]s the Emcee, Eddie Redmayne is on his own look-at-me planet. His singing voice never leaves a plug

Why do so few New World Stages shows transfer to Broadway?  Apr 18 2024, 02:14:19 AM

@uncageg,well that does not follow. If you are suggesting you know something that others don't then feel free to explain, or not. I very much doubt you do, based on what you have already said here. 

Why do so few New World Stages shows transfer to Broadway?  Apr 18 2024, 12:36:07 AM

uncageg said: "All I can say is that you are way off base regarding the "conspiracy Theory". Having no information on it and basing it on "firmly held convictions" does not make it so."

Are you saying that I have mis-stated the conspiracy theory about the Shubert acquisition of NWS? How am I off base? Do you understand that a conspiracy theory is not rooted in facts, and that there are people who nonetheless firmly believe it? There is nothin

Why do so few New World Stages shows transfer to Broadway?  Apr 17 2024, 08:42:20 PM

@Matt Rogers "they have had plenty of quality shows"

I don't think the list you c&p'd bears out your assertion but you are obviously entitled to your opinion. Understand, though, that my observations (assuming I was within your target) were addressed to a smaller sample (the degradation to which I referred) and the scope on which the OP focused (NWS->Bway). I hardly think you are suggesting that NWS  contributed to the "quality" of, e.g., Re

Why do so few New World Stages shows transfer to Broadway?  Apr 17 2024, 06:36:02 PM

Once upon a time, NWS was Dodger Stages. The ambition of Dodgers at the time aligned pretty much with the "concept" of the OP in this thread. They hoped to have in-town equivalents of out-of-town tryouts, without the costs of going out of town, and with the talent pool mostly built-in. The concept failed, the Shuberts took it over, and things went downhill fast. Part of it was the broader decline of commercial off-B, part of it was the ascension of non-profit off-B into real estate

LEMPICKA Reviews  Apr 15 2024, 12:52:24 AM

I think this is a show for which the reviews (which is a euphemism for the Times review) do matter. This is a show for folks with a subscription to the Times and however you shorthand that review (mixed or pan) it ain't gonna sell tickets. 

How do shows assign dressing rooms?  Apr 11 2024, 01:52:55 PM

"Broadway's nicest dressing room, the star dressing room at the Lunt"

Raising a question that is actually of no significance to me:

Between Groban and Ashford, one would assume he got it, but Sutton>Aaron in star terms so did they do a reverse?

lol

Sondheim Estate Permissions Custom Stephen Sondheim Musical Tribute Revues (Music + Lyrics)  Apr 11 2024, 01:00:34 AM

*"Permission" is not a verb.

A lack of great new choreographers and director-choreographers?  Mar 31 2024, 12:06:36 AM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Now that I've resurrected this thread...who's choreo is everyone loving this season?"

Justin Peck, hands down.

Congestion pricing will destroy broadway  Mar 27 2024, 02:26:04 PM

In this thread, we can witness the convergence of this board's most popular phenomena. First and foremost, we are hearing the death rattles of the fabulous invalid. Second, we are being bombarded with incorrect information because people complain first and read second (or never). [E.g., Lyft/Uber: The number of licenses has been capped, and a flat rate congestion charge has been added. The "disabled": There is an exemption available. Etc etc etc] And last but not least,

APPROPRIATE Reviews  Mar 26 2024, 12:19:10 PM

Bettyboy72 said: "Thanks Hogan, I was thinking first row mezz, but I've seen reviews of the Belasco with people complaining about the railing in front of them. I wonder how bad it is."

I don't recall about the rail but I think maybe a safer bet would be 2nd row. Belasco mezz is pretty well raked (full step).

APPROPRIATE Reviews  Mar 25 2024, 11:58:16 PM

Bettyboy72 said: "Can anyone going in the next few days let me know how high the stage is. The first few rows are cheaper than mid orchestra. I need to buy tickets soon but don’t want to be craning my neck. Thank you."

I cannot answer your question, but I will say that this is a show I prefer from a vantage point (front of mezz>orchestra) but not the first few rows of orchestra regardless of stage height because there is quite a bit of action played on the l

Creatives Taking Notes During Previews  Mar 25 2024, 12:59:49 AM

It is unavoidable for creatives to take notes during previews, but having them in front of or beside paying customers is absolutely avoidable. To not take care of this in advance is just bad producing. No excuse.

TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season  Mar 24 2024, 10:29:27 PM

I don't know what the future holds, but as of now, the very (perhaps overly) gigantic Palace digital marquis is all Tammy all the time. I wonder how that's sitting in the Platt household.

Is Ben Platt Reopening The Palace theatre with a concert for his new Album?  Mar 18 2024, 07:37:06 PM

Strange Lupone said: " If the price were right…."

Yeah, Streisand is so in it for the money at this point. LOL

Is Ben Platt Reopening The Palace theatre with a concert for his new Album?  Mar 18 2024, 11:49:41 AM

HogansHero said: "Who knows but I don't see it."

Boy was I right about that and wrong about a lot else, although I still think it is a lousy choice in multiple ways.

Is Ben Platt Reopening The Palace theatre with a concert for his new Album?  Mar 17 2024, 08:44:44 PM

Kad said: "It seems to me it would make the most sense for them to get someone like Adele, Lady Gaga (in her more stripped down, Tony Bennett form), or the like. That would be huge- and frankly a bigger event than a collection of Broadway names."

It makes the most sense in terms of overall effect but I see 2 big negatives in it. 1. It would be quite attenuated from Broadway (and would produce the same sort of howls that dimming lights for Joan Rivers did) and 2. It i

Is Ben Platt Reopening The Palace theatre with a concert for his new Album?  Mar 17 2024, 08:08:31 PM

Neither Ben (nor in this century at least, Marc) Platt has a relationship with the Nederlanders. I don't know what's going to open the Palace, but it would make more sense for it to be a collection of "divas" [of which perhaps Ben might be one] that can span generations and be a helluva lot more inclusive than what has been bandied about here. If they build a gala around a man, I'd think it would be the one who is their biggest star of this century. The implication that

Influencers  Mar 17 2024, 01:38:06 PM

This subject is hard to sort out because of a variety of factors, most mentioned in this thread. As usual, there are no rules. First and foremost, the overall market can fit on the head of a pin unlike for, say, some skin care, weight loss, or food product. That means the value of influence is pretty earthbound. (An analogy, in days gone by, was advertising. Shows would spend heavy on NYT ads, but national ads would be close to non-existent.) There is a maxim that you need to remember that yo

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You