News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Bwaydide92

Member Name: Bwaydide92
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Theatre pet peeves - from the stage!  Jun 3 2016, 11:24:41 PM

I disagree with Nathan Lane about no drinks being allowed. I can understand them not liking the noise of the ice, that bothers me too. That's why I get low ice if I get a drink early enough before act 1, it usually melts before the show starts. If I don't get it early enough, I just don't get ice. Sorry Nathan, but a human should not have nothing to drink for 2.5 hours. Food, I agree, just don't eat. When I went to see Straight, I got a cocktail, and they didn't even allow

Really hate when people do this  Jun 3 2016, 11:09:25 PM

^Not to mention that the show really falls flat in Act 2. There were no stakes at all when she has her accident, is going through recovery, and when she performs again. The book writer really didn't find a great way to keep the tension of that time up at all. And I didn't know about her accident when I went to see the show. But Gloria and Emilio give the pre-show announcement. So of course she's okay at the end. I think they really sacrificed the climax for some pre-show jokes.

Front Balcony of St James theater  Jan 27 2016, 11:27:57 PM

Just make sure you get a full-view seat. I sat in a partial-view seat, and it was one of the worst views I've ever had.

Marlee Matlin and Camryn Mannheim leaving Spring Awakening early  Dec 11 2015, 07:11:35 PM

Well the run was extended 2 weeks, so it does make sense

Credible Sources for a Pro Bootleg Essay?  Dec 6 2015, 01:36:17 AM

I would encourage you to look for sources that aren't specifically about theatre, but art in general. You'll probably have more luck there. There are going to be more credible sources that talk about free or bootlegged art. Then you can connect the specifics of theatre to those sources. Also look for sources about how television and recordings have changed the way the public consumes art. Don't be so literal with sources. Your paper is still an opinion paper, not a strictly factua

Special Tony for Ali Stroker?  Nov 27 2015, 04:36:41 PM

They have made eligibility determinations for Spring Awakening. Only Austin P McKenzie and Sandra Mae Frank will be considered for best leading actor and actress. So Katie Boeck will not be considered as a lead. They may still nominate her for featured, but I'm sure that means that the Moritzs will be considered separately as well.

Spring Awakening Seating  Oct 1 2015, 10:22:39 PM

I think it really depends on the experience you want to have. And a caveat, I have yet to see the Broadway iteration of this production, but I did see the first LA run. Yeah, it was in a tiny, 99 seat theatre, but I sat in the front row and they used a lot of the space there too. I know I missed things because of how close I was. But I also was so close to the action that at times I was immersed in it, and I personally love that as a theatre audience member. I'm sure that's a little d

Most Overrated Tony Award Winning Best Musical  Sep 28 2015, 10:54:11 PM

I couldn't have been more underwhelmed when I left In the Heights. I thought it was a really good show, but it has one of the worst endings ever. It felt so unsatisfying to learn that Usnavi would just not be leaving. He spends the whole show wanting to visit the Dominican Republic, to see the land of his parents, to learn about the world outside of Washington Heights. But instead (in my opinion) he settles to just stay where he is. Yes things are different because Abuela is dead and he h

Deaf West's Spring Awakening Extends  Sep 18 2015, 10:37:01 AM

Just got an email from The Guilty Ones Fan Club saying that Spring Awakening is extending two weeks. So much for an "extremely limited run". I guess that means they're doing pretty good in sales.

What show is supposed to come in after them though? Is there a problem with the production?

Deaf West's Spring Awakening Broadway Previews  Sep 15 2015, 06:10:19 PM

Regarding Melchior being a hearing character while Wendla and Moritz are deaf:

I believe I read in the original notes from the Inner City Arts production, that Arden decided to leave Melchior as a hearing character because he understands the world as it is. He can communicate and manipulate and do anything he wants in the hearing (adult) world. Wendla and Moritz are lost in the hearing (adult) world, so that's why it's a stronger choice for them to be deaf while having Melchior

School of Rock cast album announced  Sep 14 2015, 12:57:11 PM

It's not unprecedented for a show to record the cast album before opening on Broadway. Spring Awakening's cast album was recorded between the downtown run and the transfer to Broadway. The lyrics for a few of the songs are drastically different. The Song of Purple Summer is barely recognizable to what is performed on stage. Hairspray's cast album was recorded during previews and is also different from the stage version in a few ways. Cast Albums are usually different from the stag

Book of Mormon 1st National Closing?  Aug 16 2015, 12:40:39 PM

Theatres still have to decide on their 2016-2017 seasons still. It's very early. We're only in the summer of the 2015-2016 season. They are probably in negotiations with a bunch of companies or still scouting theatres.

Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?  Jul 7 2015, 08:13:12 PM

Vote Peron, the location of a theatre really doesn't help or hurt a show's chances. The Nederlander was home to a 12 year run of Rent and a highly successful run of Newsies. Every house is a hit or miss. It really just depends on the show in the house.

Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?  Jul 7 2015, 07:14:36 PM

Ado, cleaning up Spring Awakening to make it easier to digest is like saying "I would love Rent if they didn't talk about AIDs so much".  Spring Awakening is supposed to be vulgar, the original play was censored or banned for much of the past century. The explicitness of SA is vital to its story. If you don't like that, then you just won't like SA and there's no way to solve that.

Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?  Jul 7 2015, 07:12:06 PM

BroadMagTech

"From what I have read, the Deaf West production of Spring Awakening is already gainin a mass following. I am sure that the run will make a lot of money. What I am wondering is if this show will only be a limited run, what show will replace it? I am sure that many shows would fight for the Brooks and the Nederlanders must have a choice in mind. Any ideas? Also, of all the shows to integrate sign language in

Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?  Jul 1 2015, 07:05:57 PM

I noticed in the audition breakdown that not all of the roles are being looked for. But the leads are being auditioned for. I was wondering, is this a formality that they must do because of Equity? I believe the Melchior, Wendla, and Moritz from the first two productions are not Equity actors, so they can't be guaranteed the roles, correct? Equity actors must be allowed to audition I believe. And so does that mean that Krysta won't be transferring since they are looking for an Ilse. And It se

Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?  Jul 1 2015, 02:41:40 PM

I think how recent Spring Awakening was on Broadway might actually help it succeed this time. When the original production was on Broadway, the audiences consisted of a lot of teenagers and young adults. 6 years after its closing, we're all now out of college and making some sort of disposable income, or love the show so much we are willing to spend the money to see it back on Broadway. I think its target audience just has an even wider range than the original production could have had. Plus,

SOMETHING ROTTEN Reviews  Apr 22 2015, 12:33:04 PM

Do cast members usually stage door after opening night? Or do they just get ready for the party and press afterwards? I imagine they don't really have time to do it on opening night, but I've never attended one before, so I was curious.

Its Official, Second Stage has closed on the Helen Hayes  Apr 18 2015, 01:06:18 PM

Whomever wrote the BWW article for this just skimmed the Deadline article, and not very well. They said Next to Normal was at the Helen Hayes, when it was at The Booth. The Deadline article clearly states that Rock of Ages, Xanadu, and Torch Song Trilogy were at the Helen Hayes, and that Next to Normal got its start at 2nd Stage. 

Deadline: Although its size makes it a challenge to produce profitably, the Helen Hayes has shown with such long-running engagements as 

TKTS Question  Apr 18 2015, 10:20:01 AM

It's possible that you'll be able to get a ticket for a matinee if you get there at 1:15, but I highly doubt that. The line usually takes much longer that 45 minutes to get through.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You