#2Really hate when people do this
Posted: 6/3/16 at 7:39pm

i really hate when posters on here use really vague subject titles

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#3Really hate when people do this
Posted: 6/3/16 at 7:42pm

yay clickbait

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

BroadwayPeasent
#4Really hate when people do this
Posted: 6/3/16 at 7:46pm

I really wonder what Gloria was thinking.  Its not like She will get the Tony Committee to say sorry I think we made a mistake. Its not like its good for her business . Why do people do this

jomilo21
#5Really hate when people do this
Posted: 6/3/16 at 7:48pm

Let's be honest though... She's right... 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#6Really hate when people do this
Posted: 6/3/16 at 7:48pm

she said something about she doesn't even know if the nominators saw the show....like what

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#7Really hate when people do this
Posted: 6/3/16 at 7:51pm

Okay, to be fair to her - Gloria is not a theater person and until On Your Feet I suspect she didn't have much contact with the theatrical world. So, she's not really speaking from a place of understanding, but from her heart. I agree with her - the show should have been nominated in more categories - especially Ana for Leading Actress, but it was an extremely tough year with Hamilton being the sun this season. I think the way she's stating things is not how she means it, but I definitely do wish On Your Feet had gotten more love. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

BroadwayPeasent
#8Really hate when people do this
Posted: 6/3/16 at 7:51pm

But even if she was right. You do not  bite the hand that feeds you

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#9Really hate when people do this
Posted: 6/3/16 at 7:54pm

the Tonys clearly are not the hand that feeds her

ClumsyDude15
#10Really hate when people do this
Posted: 6/3/16 at 7:54pm

^I honestly don't see that, but then again I didn't listen to the actual audio I just read the quotes in the article. She's not biting the hand that feeds, she's simply being honest about wishing her show that is based on her life had gotten more attention. There's nothing wrong with that, and from every interview I've ever seen of Gloria, I refused to believe she was biting the hand that feeds based on how sweet and gracious she is. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

ebontoyan
#11Really hate when people do this
Posted: 6/3/16 at 8:30pm

^Agree! And good for her for speaking her mind!  I don't think the Tony's are the hands that feed her. Whatever the Tony's think of her show (the snubs!) her fans are still going to come out and see it!

ChiTheaterFan
#12Really hate when people do this
Posted: 6/3/16 at 8:50pm

Was the recording more negative than the quotes in the written article?  Because I didn't think she sounded remotely salty in the written portion, but I can't listen to the audio. 

Different Drum
#13Really hate when people do this
Posted: 6/3/16 at 9:08pm

Gloria is right - Ana Villafane should have been nominated. She carries this show the way that Jessie Mueller carried Beautiful. And she's also correct that it's more difficult to work pre-existing songs into a coherent book than to create an original score. But On Your Feet is a standard fare jukebox musical that did not deserve Tony nominations for anything other than Villanfane's break-out performance.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#14Really hate when people do this
Posted: 6/3/16 at 9:32pm

I completely disagree with Gloria. Does she actually think it's easier to write the score to West Side Story or Gypsy than to string her hits together into a coherent Wikipedia-esque bio narrative?? Please! 

Plenty of us could sit down and follow the bio-jukebox book template that everyone uses, but I'd be willing to bet that no one here (or indeed few anywhere) could sit down and pen the score to The Most Happy Fella or Light in the Piazza. 

I'm not trying to imply that writing a book is easy (it's not), but I don't think creating a score from scratch and plugging hit songs into a singer's story are even remotely comparable. 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!
Updated On: 6/3/16 at 09:32 PM

Bwaydide92
#15Really hate when people do this
Posted: 6/3/16 at 11:09pm

^Not to mention that the show really falls flat in Act 2. There were no stakes at all when she has her accident, is going through recovery, and when she performs again. The book writer really didn't find a great way to keep the tension of that time up at all. And I didn't know about her accident when I went to see the show. But Gloria and Emilio give the pre-show announcement. So of course she's okay at the end. I think they really sacrificed the climax for some pre-show jokes.

I do agree that Ana was deserving of a nomination (should she have gotten one over others, probably not). But if Phillipa Soo was nominated in best featured (which she should have), maybe Ana would have gotten the last spot.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#16Really hate when people do this
Posted: 6/3/16 at 11:47pm

It's a Vegas show. Gloria is delusional. This belongs on a cruise ship. Ana is only one deserving of any acclaim. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

BroadwayPeasent
#17Really hate when people do this
Posted: 6/3/16 at 11:50pm

I might disagree with the awards in my industry but going to the award givers and saying they are wrong does nobody any favors.

asmith0307
#18Really hate when people do this
Posted: 6/4/16 at 12:16am

For those of you who didn't listen to the audio, Gloria did not seem negative at all. She actually talks a lot about how you can't do anything for awards, or else you will set yourself up for disappointment. It was mostly talking about how they had received these other awards, but barely any love from the Tonys, and she wishes for her team that they had gotten more nominations. Nothing different than is said by many other producers. She just has a larger platform to discuss it. 

Trish2
#19Really hate when people do this
Posted: 6/4/16 at 12:32am

Sometimes I forget that on your feet is still running. Sort of like a silent moneymaker. It's been doing pretty good numbers though had a significant $125k drop last week. It's been making above its nut of around 700k, so should be around for a bit with tourists this summer.

i imagine it will slack off come fall, but do better on tour. 

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#20Did we hear the same interview??
Posted: 6/4/16 at 9:21am

I can't for the life of me see how anyone could misconstrue Estefan's response to the radio interviewer's question as being "negative". I mean really... REALLY, Seth?!

Before she even begins to respond/react to the interviewer's question, she thanks the Tony committee for nominating Sergio Trujillo. ...and she does it in a way that sounds almost "corrective" of the interviewer by specifically beginning with the words, "Well, first of all..."

ChTheaterFan asked, "Was the recording more negative than the quotes in the written article?" IMO, no. I heard her being very supportive of her cast and creative team. I also heard her speak very clearly and sensibly about how nice it is to receive accolades, but how accolades of any kind are not more important than the work.

I thought her responses to questions that were put to her (it's important to note that Estefan did not initiate these comments, as the OP might have implied by the subject line) were mature and quite humble.

I agree with Whizzer RE: her comments about original score vs. jukebox score, but I took that an "in-the-moment" over-indulgence of pride for her cast and creative team.

Updated On: 6/4/16 at 09:21 AM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#21Did we hear the same interview??
Posted: 6/4/16 at 9:42am

To those who say Villafane should have been nominated, who would you have left out? Philippa Soo?

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#22Did we hear the same interview??
Posted: 6/4/16 at 10:16am

The show did give me a greater appreciation for white shorts. :)

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#23Did we hear the same interview??
Posted: 6/4/16 at 10:21am

Huss417 said: "The show did give me a greater appreciation for white shorts. :)"

I've been saying this for months now. If there were a Tony Award for Best Pair of White Shorts in a Musical, this show would have it in the BAG. Such brilliant work being done there.

ClumsyDude15
#24Did we hear the same interview??
Posted: 6/4/16 at 10:27am

^Honestly, yes. As much as I loved Phillipa in Hamilton and she does a fabulous job, Eliza consistently feels like a featured role not a leading role. Ana carries On Your Feet on her back, and does it without breaking a sweat and making it seem effortless. To me, her performance warranted a leading nomination over Phillipa's. 

Updated On: 6/4/16 at 10:27 AM

aaaaaa15
#25Did we hear the same interview??
Posted: 6/4/16 at 10:35am

Even if Phillipa wasn't nominated it would have been Audra. Ana had a very small chance of a nomination in such a packed year for that category.