News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Addison D.

Addison D. Profile Photo
Member Name: Addison D.
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

THE BUTCHER BOY Musical at Irish Rep  Jul 27 2022, 10:07:15 PM

Echoing the comments already made: dark, ambitious and in need of some cuts. I found it musically and lyrically beautiful and occasionally moving and funny. There is very little actual butchering--less than 'Sweeney Todd'--but what there is is highly impactful. 

ETA--I find that I have the score from 'Thrill Me' running through my head as  think about 'Butcher Boy', and I think that show is a better analogue than 'Sweeney' or 'Little Shop&#

Little Shop of Horrors (PREVIEWS)  Sep 18 2019, 03:01:59 PM

I am surprised to learn last night was first night--the show is in great shape.   What I thought was some overly-mannered line delivery from Blanchard will maybe calm itself down after she settles into the role--or maybe its a choice?  In any case, she was quite good.  If I have a quibble with Blanchard its that she held back for the entirety of 'Somewhere that's Green' and then belted the hell out of 'Suddenly Seymour', whereas the legendary performanc

BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews  Mar 9 2019, 01:55:00 PM

bwayphreak234 said: "I went into this expecting an absolute train wreck...I was shocked to find Be More Chill to be a fun and campy show. Is it perfect? No. Is it the best show I’ve ever seen? No. Is it a fun time in the theatre? I certainly though so.

I enjoyed Be More Chill in the same way that I enjoy Little Shop Of Horrors. Both shows have over the top storylines and the characters are placed in pretty ridiculous situations. However, with both shows, I was totall

Merrily We Roll Along Previews (2019)  Jan 13 2019, 01:23:01 PM

ljay889 said: "...Are they using the original Now You Know lyrics? Im guessing it may be a mixture of the original and revised, something the Donmar also did for the number."

I believe these are the original 'Now you know' lyrics, although the scene is now indoors and includes only Frank, Charley, Mary & Joe.

Merrily We Roll Along Previews (2019)  Jan 13 2019, 11:10:14 AM

Charley Kringas Inc said: "....I've never been so curious in my entire life and I can't wait to hear more about what's happening here."

Are you sure you want it here? I hate to pre-empt the live-action experience.

If you really need to know:

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

No kid--except in brief all

Merrily We Roll Along Previews (2019)  Jan 13 2019, 09:39:18 AM

The show begins with the cast wandering casually on stage--house lights are still up--selecting costume items from the attic-of-memory stage-set, chatting with the audience, etc.  Very Fiasco. The charming Jessie Austrian (Mary) welcomed us and told us to unwrap our candies and then the show began, with Ben Steinfeld taking his place behind the podium and everybody else finding a place to sit among the nooks and crannies of the on-stage bric-a-brac.

Franklin is giving a s

RENASCENCE--Previews  Oct 7 2018, 02:39:19 PM

The corner of Grand and Pitt isn't *everybody's* idea of Paradise, certainly.

I keep waiting for some food option down there other than that one, desolate pizza place (had a pretty decent slice last night). I'm waiting,too,for Abrons to open a food/drink concession. Seems like such an obvious income opportunity, but I'm sure NYC doesn't make it easy to sell food.

Neighborhood and food aside, I've had some Peak Experiences at Abrons and even the le

RENASCENCE--Previews  Oct 7 2018, 12:51:33 PM

The Transport Group's musical  about Edna St. Vincent Millay, the poem that made her famous and some of the relationships in her early life. With Mikaela Bennett, Hannah Corneau, Jason Gotay, Danny Harris Kornfeld, Katie Thompson and Donald Weber, Jr. Score by Carmel Dean, book by Dick Scanlan, Lyrics by Edna St. Vincent Millay. At the Abrons Arts Center.

I walked in knowing very little about Millay--either her life or work.  I did not know Renascen

THE WAVERLY GALLERY (2018) Previews  Oct 4 2018, 05:40:11 PM

Jordan Catalano said: "In the week or so since I’ve seen the show, that one scene still keeps popping back into my head. I just can’t shake it."

This show haunts me--awake and in my dreams--like no other show I can think of.  The script and the performances and the way they echo my personal experience is uniquely powerful. 

I was devastated by Glenn Close's Blanche in London, but I was a voyeur watching someone else's tragedy--the

THE WAVERLY GALLERY (2018) Previews  Sep 26 2018, 05:25:49 PM

Are these the personal hearing aid devices of individuals in the audience?  Or some sort of augmented sound system that is provided by the theater?

And are they reacting to each other?  Or the tech equipment in the house?

The irony of the issue at this particular play is pretty rich.  Lonergan better keep hold of his temper--the optics of him swearing at an older theater patron would not be good...

THE WAVERLY GALLERY (2018) Previews  Sep 26 2018, 01:20:02 PM

I'm in tears, laughing...

Honoring Mike Nichols

THE WAVERLY GALLERY (2018) Previews  Sep 26 2018, 12:32:36 PM
A Tony nomination for Elaine May seems inevitable. Not only is her performance stunning, heartbreaking, etc., but she is 86 years old and she is Elaine May.

Elaine f***ing May.

Had she done nothing but Nichols & May, she would be one of the significant figures in the history of comic writing and performance in the Western world. but she didn't stop there and hasn't stopped for 60 years.

You're a Tony voter. A legend turns in a truly stellar performance. Do you throw

THE WAVERLY GALLERY (2018) Previews  Sep 26 2018, 12:40:46 AM

I think that's true, Jordan.  Perhaps one has to have experienced it first-hand to recognize the brilliance, nuance and Truth of May's performance.  

Having been there, I found the show a gut-punch.

THE WAVERLY GALLERY (2018) Previews  Sep 26 2018, 12:23:37 AM

I was there tonight as well and was deeply moved.  The querulous voice of the aging family member, the anger, impatience, guilt and sorrow of the surrounding family--these are easy cliches but Lonergan's ear for the way they play out is pitch-perfect and I found the principal cast splendid.  

I suppose the scene changes were a bit long, but I was too deeply engaged to notice. 

May's performance is heartbreaking.  Allen is good in Act I, great in

BE MORE CHILL to Premiere Off-Broadway This Summer  Apr 16 2018, 06:43:27 PM

Is Jake Boyd in this show? I thought he was a splendid Anthony Hope and followed him briefly on igram.  He has got some kra-zee teen fan-base, man.  Yikes.  

Summer and Smoke  Apr 15 2018, 11:08:15 PM

jbm--you'd really suggest people skip the production? 

I thought the two leads were so good and I think it's fascinating to see another incarnation of William's archetypal characters in addition to all the Amandas  & Toms and Blanches & Stanleys.

For me, the set prevents the production from being great but I am glad to have seen it and would consider going again later in the run if tix came my way. I'd like to see how Ireland a

Summer and Smoke  Apr 15 2018, 07:51:02 PM

Saw 'Summer and Smoke' this afternoon.  Solid performances from the whole cast.  I thought Marin Ireland and Nathan Darrow were exceptionally fine.  Ireland brings nuanced humor and spunk to one of Williams' broken heroines  and Darrow, too, gives a beautifully shaded performance.  High marks as well to the always-fine Barbara Walsh who makes a meal out of Alma's broken mother--a potentially two-dimensional character.  Tina Johnson doesn

MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews  Mar 22 2018, 02:57:13 PM

The thrill of live theater.  I don't think anyone missed a syllable on the first night of previews.  Her Ascot scene was perfect.

I was lucky enough to go back on Saturday night when a friend had an extra ticket and there were two missed lines--Prof Higgins dropped a line in "Why Can't a Woman..." and *something* else that I can't recall at the moment.

MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews  Mar 22 2018, 01:09:10 PM

I was charmed by Norbert's performance and found his stage movements a perfect expression of his character who is, after all, stewed to the gills.

With reference to Lauren Ambrose's posture--I did notice the 'hunched' quality that was mentioned earlier, but it seems to me her posture improves along with her diction.  She begins with sloppy posture, is erect--but teetering and uncertain--in the Ascot scene and is  regal and confident as a queen (

Snow Storm and Wed Theater  Mar 21 2018, 12:41:38 PM

Slightly tangential, but the Met is still saying Turandot will proceed tonight. 

Gelb better invite us all home for cocoa afterwards.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You