News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for landlocked_mermaid

landlocked_mermaid Profile Photo
Member Name: landlocked_mermaid
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Brooke Shields & Richard Chamberlain to Star in Premiere of THE EXORCIST
 Jun 25 2012, 08:05:20 PM
I still can't wrap my head around the idea that they are actually going to do this. The movie scared me silly when I saw it years ago and to this day, I still can't bring myself to watch it again. Still, I am interested to follow its progess and see how they address some of the things that have been brought up here.

And this actually scares me less than the idea of Mike Tyson on Broadway. :)

Godspell Final performance
 Jun 25 2012, 07:59:35 PM
Which is exactly why I said that Block and Ignore functions are a message board participant's best friend. Moving on...
 Jun 25 2012, 04:45:39 PM
And I think all labwyfan was trying to say to DAME is that this thread was supposed to be about Godspell's final performance and not about the issue of it living up to Broadway standards, which has been discussed ad nauseum in myriad other posts and threads. Sometimes that can get a bit old. But this is a message board just like any other message board on the internet and people can and will say just about whatever they want wherever they want so I always find that Block and Ignore options are
How was Amadeus staged?
 Jun 25 2012, 11:50:55 AM
Amadeus is one of my most favorite movies and I had the opportunity to see it on stage a couple of years back at the Chicago Shakespeare Theatre too and I loved the stage version too.
 Jun 25 2012, 11:47:28 AM
Well said, CarlosAlberto. And glad to know that they went out with a full house too.
Why Jesus Christ Superstar Failed
 Jun 21 2012, 03:42:45 PM
I didn't find Josh Young's voice to be all wrong for this score or this show. On the contrary, I found it to be refreshingly different and it was one of the things I liked about this revival. That is not to say that I have not enjoyed quite a few of the other performers who have taken on the Judas role; but I found Young's performance to be a new take on it and one that I liked.
Mike Tyson on Broadway at last
 Jun 20 2012, 11:03:32 PM
I saw Spike Lee and Mike Tyson on The Today Show yesterday promoting this. The interview was painful to watch.

I doubt I'd actually go see this, but it might be pretty interesting.

Why Jesus Christ Superstar Failed
 Jun 20 2012, 10:58:03 PM
Sometimes shows are a hit and sometimes they're not...it's all just Monday morning quarterbacking at this point.

Evidently I'm in the minority here, but it was the performance at the Tony Awards that made me want to see this show.

JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR to Play Final Performance on Broadway July 1 'Unless Business Improves'
 Jun 20 2012, 09:18:37 PM
From what I understand, it did really well at La Jolla too and I don't think that there was a built-in following for any of the performers there.
BABY concert footage
 Jun 20 2012, 05:09:37 PM
Was the sound quality really poor on that recording? Some of those performers didn't exactly sound their best and I know these people have good voices.
JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR to Play Final Performance on Broadway July 1 'Unless Business Improves'
 Jun 20 2012, 02:21:14 PM
Well said, bdn223.

From what I have seen, people either hate or love this production of JCS. I am in the latter category.

Not sure how I feel about the "buy tickets or else" issue. I don't really see it as a threat, just a statement of the situation intended to get anyone on the fence about seeing it to actually buy tickets and go before it closes. It may boost sales for performances prior to July 1st; that remains to be seen. I'm sure they will sell some tix to performances

Jun 20 2012, 07:56:04 AM
I really liked what I saw of the show on the Tonys. This is disappointing news.
Best Recording of Jesus Christ Superstar? Or: Why is Josh Young so hot?
 Jun 14 2012, 06:37:52 PM
I know what you're saying Kelly, and I would never approach someone after a performance for specifically that reason.

If there are stories about asshat behavior in a different context, say for instance being rude to the waitstaff in a restaurant, that is more along the lines of what I was trying to say. And as always, once has to take even stories like that with a grain of salt. Unless I personally witness bad behavior, I give the benefit of the doubt.

Little Shop of Horrors musical movie remake
 Jun 14 2012, 06:16:10 PM
That was my first thought upon readings about the remake. I'm not sure I see the point of redoing this one when there are lots of other musicals that haven't been done yet. I vote for Spring Awakening.
 Jun 14 2012, 06:10:03 PM
Thanks for that link, bwaybby. I will never tire of watching performances from this show.

And Kelly2, while I agree with you that how a performer conducts him or herself once the curtain fails is irrelevant to the quality of the performance, I do have to say that I tend to like and respect a performer more if they don't act like a complete asshat when they're not on stage.

Jun 13 2012, 08:55:24 PM
I'm partial to the original brown album as it's the one I grew up listening to. And I was also disappointed to hear that there won't be a recording of this current revival cast.

As for Josh Young, I had never heard of him until I saw him on the Tony's and yeah, he's very easy on the eyes. I really like him as Judas too but I won't be in NYC until October and it seems unlikely that this production will be around until then. Not sure why someone would have a problem with the guy; he seems to be a perfectly nice human being from what I've seen online from people who have met him.

Someone (I think it was on youTube) complained about the tightness of the blue suit. I'm still not sure how exactly that's a problem for someone.

So...who wins the Frances McDormand Award this year?
 Jun 13 2012, 08:46:07 PM
Good point about the respect issue. Not everyone cares that much about clothes nor do they want to bother with a stylist. But there is something to be said about at least making an effort to look presentable.

There are people who would sell an organ to be in McDormand's place and for her to show up looking like she did can easily be interpreted as a total lack of respect for the entire process. And that is something I am not cool with in any situation.

GODSPELL to Close on Broadway June 24
 Jun 13 2012, 08:38:04 PM
This makes me sad. I know this production wasn't well-received critically and it has certainly taken a pummeling from what I've seen on here but I absolutely loved this musical when I was a kid and as I am going to be in NYC in the fall, I had considering seeing a performance.
So...who wins the Frances McDormand Award this year?
 Jun 13 2012, 08:32:14 PM
I had forgotten the horror of that ensemble until I saw this thread.

Candice Bergen's choice was unfortunate.

And I have a pair of the toe shoes similar to the ones Marketa Irglova was wearing and while they are beyond comfortable, they were an atrocious choice.

I was also not fond of Jessica Chastain's dress.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You