News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for astromiami

astromiami Profile Photo
Member Name: astromiami
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Is a "National Theatre at Home" subscription worth it?  Jan 7 2022, 07:05:14 PM

All of the plays available on NT Theatre at Home were originally NT Live events.

Realize that the home service had not yet been available for a year yet.

Dance captains and that Moulin Rouge photo  Jan 12 2020, 08:50:32 AM

Why call out a photo, when the whole page is unreadable?

The layout is jumbled and none of the photos are readable. Too small and too many portraits of actors foreheads.

Brecht Pieces to Revive  Dec 28 2019, 10:47:25 AM

Actually, I though you said it better, GavestonPS.

I just had more analogies.

Brecht Pieces to Revive  Dec 26 2019, 09:30:53 PM

Perchance-2-Dream said: "Ado Annie D'Ysquith said: "Okay, excuse my ignorance, but I just read the definition of epic/Brechtian theatre and it made no sense to me. Can someone here explain what it is, exactly?"

I'll admit, I'm not the best at explaining, but I will do my best!

Epic Theatre, in its simplest sense, is a movement in which the production asks the audience not to suspend their disbelief but face the production as it is,

Helen Shaw takes down both BOM and Hamilton on Vulture  Dec 24 2019, 06:37:17 PM

I think phantom4ever's post misses a few key points.

Swift does not say that Irish people eat babies....he says that they should. BOM ascribes some pretty nasty stuff to the Ugandans, rather than recommending it to them.

And even that could work as satire, if the authors were indeed equal opportunity offenders. But they are not. The Mormons are much more gently satirized. They are oblivious, not true to themselves, and awkward. One could imagine a BOM in which the ex

Modern The Sound of Music  Dec 22 2019, 03:58:54 PM

Plannietink08 said: " I just didn’t realise the Von Trapps weren’t happy with the musical because they do so much promotion for it. I know one of Maria’s granddaughters actually played her in a production!"

I think the family has made its peace with the film. However, in the 60s and 70s Maria von Trapp usually made slighting references to the film, (perhaps colored by the fact that she did not financially benefit from it).

To quote the article linked below:

How did the von Trapps feel about The Sound of Music? While Maria was grateful that there wasn't any extreme revision of the story she wrote in The Story of the Trapp Family Singers, and that she herself was represented fairly accurately (although Mary Martin and Julie Andrews "were too gentle-like girls out of Bryn Mawr," she told the Washington Post in 1978), she wasn't pleased with the portrayal of her husband. The children's reactions were variations on a theme: irritation about being represented as people who only sang lightweight music, the simplification of the story, and the alterations to Georg von Trapp's personality. As Johannes von Trapp said in a 1998 New York Times interview, "it's not what my family was about. . . . [We were] about good taste, culture, all these wonderful upper-class standards that people make fun of in movies like 'Titanic.' We're about environmental sensitivity, artistic sensitivity. 'Sound of Music' simplifies everything. I think perhaps reality is at the same time less glamorous but more interesting than the myth."

https://www.archives.gov/publications/prologue/2005/winter/von-trapps-html

Modern The Sound of Music  Dec 21 2019, 09:34:39 AM

Plannietink08 said: "Interesting idea. The issue is that The Sound of Music is a true story, the characters are real people who’s children are still alive today so I’m not sure how well it would go down."

Actually, the von Trapps were  critical of SOM for straying so far from the real life events and character, they might prefer a darker version that more clearly demonstrates the danger the family was in and the bravery of their actions.

&

Modern The Sound of Music  Dec 21 2019, 09:31:59 AM

St. Ann's Warehouse leaving empty seats at Oklahoma?  Nov 9 2018, 07:41:05 AM

It breaks my heart, but a theater I work at frequently has this problem.  The show is sold out, but there are a number of empty seats due to no-shows.

And legally you are restricted from selling a seat that is already sold.

In the old days, before online sales, small theaters took reservations rather than sales. A reservation could be released if they were a no show. But if payment has been made there are restrictions.

I CAN'T REMEMBER THE NAME OF THIS PLAY!!!  Oct 20 2018, 03:53:40 PM

And Baby Makes Seven?

I CAN'T REMEMBER THE NAME OF THIS PLAY!!!  Oct 20 2018, 03:53:34 PM

And Baby Makes Seven?

I CAN'T REMEMBER THE NAME OF THIS PLAY!!!  Oct 20 2018, 03:13:19 PM

I think characters in most plays speak in idioms, which they sometimes botch, mix and recycle. I am trying to think of a play in which that does NOT happen.

I guess we could rule out Small Mouth Sounds.

Contemporary Monologue  Sep 2 2018, 12:26:02 PM

Here it is. Playwrights Horizons has a bookstore section on their site where you can buy a number of their plays.

https://www.ticketcentral.com/playwrightshorizons/online/default.asp?doWork::WScontent::loadArticle=Load&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::article_id=06A729C6-D5BB-419D-92D6-CC528CAED85A&sessionlanguage=&menu_id=1323E528-CD73-48FD-B658-AF3A5562DBBA

Contemporary Monologue  Sep 1 2018, 07:08:15 PM

Lucy Thurber also has some good teenage characters in her plays (though I cannot specifically name any monologues.)

Does The Wolves have any strong monologues?

Contemporary Monologue  Sep 1 2018, 07:05:55 PM

It has nothing to do with being  "appropriate for a teen." The monologue you selescted would not be anyone's first choice out of context.

The play has plenty of others she can choose from. 

And it is a play that teenagers like.

Contemporary Monologue  Sep 1 2018, 06:37:24 PM

Dance Nation has a number of monologues. It can be purchased from Playwrights Horizons online.

Not sure why it would not be teen appropriate.

Evita Question  Aug 31 2018, 09:27:53 PM

There was a mannequin in the coffin at the end.

Perhaps she was confusing when she saw the "body?"

Carousel Question  Aug 10 2018, 12:15:18 PM

Audiences respond in the here and now. They are not actors who do research and put on attitudes from the past. They are not scholars studying a work for historical insight. That is always the problem in reviving classics--you have to figure out how to translate the message in a bottle sent from a long way away.

That said, even in the time it was written, Carousel had issues that had to be finessed. If you read the great new biography of R&H, Something Wonderful, you see the lar

All Female Glengarry Glen Ross Revival??  Aug 9 2018, 11:35:09 PM

So it is an adult version of Daffodil Girls?

http://www.theaterjones.com/ntx/reviews/20130509211756/2013-05-10/Fun-House-Theatre-and-Film/Daffodil-Girls-Inspired-by-David-Mamets-Glengarry-Glen-Ross

re: Bad usher/ theatre employee stories?  Jul 21 2018, 08:19:29 AM

JSousa said: "Why is that in Broadway theaters, even at intermision, your not aloud to use your cell phone? Not even in the lobby. I was politly asked to step outside the theater becouse I was in the lobby calling my mom to tell her how awsome act one was. lol. And they only told me that cellphone use is prohibited in all areas of the thearer."

Lobbies are crowded and it is rude to make other people listen to your phone conversation. It is weird to force people t

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You