pixeltracker

Is a "National Theatre at Home" subscription worth it?

Is a "National Theatre at Home" subscription worth it?

SomeOtherMe Profile Photo
SomeOtherMe
#1Is a "National Theatre at Home" subscription worth it?
Posted: 1/6/22 at 4:42pm

Just coming across this streaming service now. They do have some pretty fantastic options. A Streetcar Named Desire with Gillian Anderson, The Cherry Orchard and both parts of Angels in America are of particular interest to me. The only real downside is their selection looks pretty small and most of the titles seems to only be there for a limited time. Considering that NT seems to professionally film quite a bit of their productions, this is disappointing. $130 for a year subscription certainly isn't ridiculous, but it's not particularly cheap either. For anyone who has a subscription, do you find it worth it?

National Theatre at Home

Updated On: 1/6/22 at 04:42 PM

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#2Is a "National Theatre at Home" subscription worth it?
Posted: 1/6/22 at 4:45pm

It is absolutely worth it. Enjoy! 

Fosse76
#3Is a "National Theatre at Home" subscription worth it?
Posted: 1/6/22 at 4:47pm

If you only plan on watching these once each, maybe get a monthly subscription. Watch what you want for the month, then unsubscribe. If you don't finish, keep the subscription, then unsubscribe when you have watched everything. You can always re-subscribe. 

SomeOtherMe
#4Is a "National Theatre at Home" subscription worth it?
Posted: 1/6/22 at 4:53pm

Fosse76 said: "If you only plan on watching these once each, maybe get a monthly subscription. Watch what you want for the month, then unsubscribe. If you don't finish, keep the subscription, then unsubscribe when you have watched everything. You can always re-subscribe."

Good thinking.

For those who have it... About how often do they add new titles? I'd probably be willing to just splurge on the year if new productions are presented at least somewhat regularly.

Also, just on a side note, I'm REALLY hoping they add "Curious Incident" soon. Was majorly disappointed when I saw that wasn't one of the available titles.

Updated On: 1/6/22 at 04:53 PM

JasonC3
#5Is a "National Theatre at Home" subscription worth it?
Posted: 1/6/22 at 5:55pm

If you compare it to ticket prices to see top notch shows, I found the annual cost well worth it as I probably watched 10 or 11 productions at least once.

But if you compare it to the selection you'd get on a year of Netflix for the same cost, it obviously pales.

I  recall a couple of new shows being added every 4-8 weeks.

If value is the driving factor, I'd go with a month and watch everything available. Then check back in a couple of months to see if enough new selections have been added for you to repeat the process.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#6Is a "National Theatre at Home" subscription worth it?
Posted: 1/6/22 at 7:39pm

I got it and watched the production of War Horse and was absolutely blown away by it! Made me cry a bit. Definitely wanna watch Angels in America next! Get the Annual Plan (Yearly) if I were you. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

SomeOtherMe
#7Is a "National Theatre at Home" subscription worth it?
Posted: 1/6/22 at 8:18pm

JasonC3 said: "If you compare it to ticket prices to see top notch shows, I found the annual cost well worth it as I probably watched 10 or 11 productions at least once.

But if you compare it to the selection you'd get on a year of Netflix for the same cost, it obviously pales.

I recall a couple of new shows being added every 4-8 weeks.

If value is the driving factor, I'd go with a month and watch everything available. Then check back in a couple of months to see if enough new selections have been added for you to repeat the process.
"

Thanks for the info! I went ahead and just got the yearly subscription. They have enough titles that I'm interested in seeing and I didn't wanna feel rushed to have to watch them all in a month or two. I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Gonna start with Streetcar tonight. So excited!

HBP Profile Photo
HBP
#8Is a "National Theatre at Home" subscription worth it?
Posted: 1/6/22 at 9:12pm

Is Fleabag on there and available to US viewers?

SomeOtherMe
#9Is a "National Theatre at Home" subscription worth it?
Posted: 1/6/22 at 9:18pm

HBP said: "Is Fleabag on there and available to US viewers?"

Nope.

girlcop Profile Photo
girlcop
#10Is a "National Theatre at Home" subscription worth it?
Posted: 1/6/22 at 11:32pm

Fleabag is an Amazon exclusive in US

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#11Is a "National Theatre at Home" subscription worth it?
Posted: 1/6/22 at 11:53pm

Fosse76 said: "If you only plan on watching these once each, maybe get a monthly subscription. Watch what you want for the month, then unsubscribe. If you don't finish, keep the subscription, then unsubscribe when you have watched everything. You can always re-subscribe."

This is what I’ve done. Initially got a subscription for Angels, the resubscribed for one month to watch a view from the bridge. Recently resubscribed again to watch War Horse. I hope they put Follies on there, but I’m not counting on it.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#12Is a "National Theatre at Home" subscription worth it?
Posted: 1/6/22 at 11:53pm

It was but I don't believe it's been available for some time, on Amazon I mean. It's definitely not on NT At Home (which is a lovely service). 

Jesus saves. I spend.

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#13Is a "National Theatre at Home" subscription worth it?
Posted: 1/7/22 at 1:11pm

Do the NT Live events shown in theaters generally end up on NT at Home? 

astromiami
#14Is a "National Theatre at Home" subscription worth it?
Posted: 1/7/22 at 7:05pm

All of the plays available on NT Theatre at Home were originally NT Live events.

Realize that the home service had not yet been available for a year yet.

goodlead
#15Is a "National Theatre at Home" subscription worth it?
Posted: 1/8/22 at 2:23pm

I watched a couple of these when they were free and was sad to see that they were completely overblown.  "Streetcar" was staged as if it was a boxing match with lots of unneeded business between each round/scene.  "The Deep Blue Sea" was set in much too large a space for the claustrophobic drama it was.  And "Amadeus" became an elaborate pageant.  Only "Les Blancs" worked.

No doubt many of you will disagree, but I would have been disappointed if I had subscribed.

SomeOtherMe
#16Is a "National Theatre at Home" subscription worth it?
Posted: 1/8/22 at 3:16pm

goodlead said: "I watched a couple of these when they were free and was sad to see that they were completely overblown. "Streetcar" was staged as if it was a boxing match with lots of unneeded business between each round/scene. "The Deep Blue Sea" was set in much too large a space for the claustrophobic drama it was. And "Amadeus" became an elaborate pageant. Only "Les Blancs" worked.

No doubt many of you will disagree, but I would have been disappointed if I had subscribed.
"

"Streetcar" was the first production I watched after subscribing and personally, I loved it. Gillian's performance alone makes it worth the watch. Though I can understand why it would definitely is not going to be everyone's cup of tea.

MusicalJunkie3
#17Is a "National Theatre at Home" subscription worth it?
Posted: 1/8/22 at 8:06pm

If they would add their production of Follies to the library I would subscribe for sure. Hopefully they will add it at some point in the future. I may end up doing it anyway for Streetcar, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, and Amadeus, but am sorry to hear some negative reviews here.

SomeOtherMe
#18Is a "National Theatre at Home" subscription worth it?
Posted: 1/9/22 at 12:20pm

For those interested, these are the titles they currently have listed in their "coming soon" section:

"All About Eve"

"The Habit of Art"

"Peter Pan"

"50 Years on Stage".

There's a 'more titles still to be announced' disclaimer at the bottom.

Updated On: 1/9/22 at 12:20 PM

Videos