News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for HoldThatThought

HoldThatThought Profile Photo
Member Name: HoldThatThought
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Theatre things to do in Boston
 Jun 15 2014, 05:46:08 PM
You could make your way up to Gloucester, get some "lobsteh," and then see Gloucester Stage Company's "Jacque Brel is Alive and Well..."
Pippin Revival Cast Recording First Listen EW
 Jun 4 2013, 11:09:52 AM
Just downloaded it and enjoying it now!
 May 29 2013, 10:43:34 AM
Love the video - thanks for sharing! Any chance this will be included with the iTunes download?
 May 28 2013, 07:41:21 PM
I like most of it. The Finale is the only one I'm not crazy about. It sounds a little bland and I wish they would've left more dialog in. Maybe it will grow on me.
Pippin (1981 TV version) - The Fosse Version
 May 2 2013, 07:59:01 PM
"Does it include "I Guess I'll Miss The Man."?"

It's been awhile since i've watched it, but I'm pretty sure it does.

Phyllis - kudos to you for editing it like that! I think I'd still like to check it out. Thanks!

Pippin (1981 TV version) - The Fosse Version
 May 2 2013, 05:34:00 PM
Phyllis - is it warble-free and easier to watch than the Fosse cut? If so, I'd like to see that as well.
Downton Abbey Musical!!
 Apr 22 2013, 07:07:03 PM
quite entertaining!
Going to shows alone
 Apr 20 2013, 08:28:14 PM
I find I don't mind either way. I used to go alone all the time to theatre and movies when I lived in Boston and was single. I always found it much easier to be able to just go at a moment's notice whenever I felt like it. And, when popular shows are pretty much sold out, you have much better odds of getting a single seat than a double, etc. However, going with someone who enjoys theater at least as much as you do is a treat too.

Pippin previews start tomorrow
 Apr 20 2013, 08:19:19 PM
^ Yes, I enjoyed that too!
What was the last song originally written for the theater that became a radio hit?
 Apr 20 2013, 08:18:36 PM
"Wait: there was a f'ing DANCE MIX for Defying Gravity?

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Did it really play on the radio? Bwahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!"

Great reaction, dm! But his link doesn't work, so heres one that does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8XJYjc_An4

Did they actually play this in clubs? Yikes.

Apr 15 2013, 04:47:25 PM
^ They had the incest scene in Cambridge in previews, then removed it when I saw it the second time after opening. But others here have confirmed that it actually was in after opening when they saw it in Cambridge. So I don't know why Paulus keeps messing around with that scene. Wish she should make up her mind already!

Personally, I really liked the new ending.

Are new cast recordings
 Apr 13 2013, 09:47:28 AM
So is there a reason why they can't record a few of the live performances and take the best cuts from each one? It would be cheaper, and most people would probably prefer a live recording. I know I would.
 Apr 12 2013, 07:58:34 PM
^ That must be a new one because I don't recall that trick in Cambridge.
 Apr 8 2013, 12:00:35 PM
lenstersf, LuminousBeing - I like your explanations as well.

Kelly2 - while I enjoyed Bay Jones' performance, I'm left wondering about Benanti. On that clip, when Schwartz was asked about her, he thought she was the perfect Catherine. Had she not been on that sitcom, who knows?

J52- I think that's a pretty accurate metaphor

Luminous, just saw your second long posting - well said, took the words out of my mouth with both postings! Thanks!

broadway g

Apr 7 2013, 07:53:51 PM
Kelly2,

I think Laura Benanti would've been a wonderful choice! Here's a clip, was this the one you saw? - she appears about half way through: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPD0Czti-T0

When I saw this production in Cambridge the first time, it was in previews, and I thought the 2nd Act needed work. When I saw it the second time after opening, the 2nd act was overall much better. Also, Charlotte was better the second time as well.

SPOILER ALERT
I think the point about Pippin and Catherine is that towards the end, Pippin starts to realize that being extraordinary is not what you find or do out there, but it has to come from within. He has to bring it. And you're right - Catherine and her son are ordinary, nothing special at first glance. And so it asks - "what are you willing to bring to the table ( or do to be extraordinary)?" Pippin's choice to stay with her gives him the opportunities to "be" extraordinary in an ordinary life. And besides, it's better than sacrificing himself to prove he is extraordinary. I'm sure there are a few other metaphors one could find in there as well.

Tony Performances
 Apr 6 2013, 07:21:54 PM
If Pippin performs, my guess is that they'd be more likely to do "Corner of the Sky" or "Simple Joys." The latter would allow them to show off the acrobats, whereas "Corner.." is the most popular song from the show. I don't know that they'd want to do their opening number, and "Glory" is kind of long for television.

Apr 4 2013, 07:57:12 PM
Eric - Larry Hochman did the new orchestrations.

ArtMan - If you want to read up on it, you can go to Schwartz's website here:
http://www.stephenschwartz.com/faq/#q15

or you can read this link someone else posted here in a previous thread:
(warning: it is a bit long, but thorough)
http://www.newlinetheatre.com/pippinchapter.html

Which Musical (Original or Revival) Was A major Disappointment For You?
 Apr 1 2013, 08:06:30 PM
@Jane 2 - yes, it's a common saying over there. I heard about it from my wife who works with colleagues in their UK office. Here's a little history behind it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob's_your_uncle

To keep on point here, I wasn't all that thrilled with the original touring productions of Evita, Cats, and Les Mis. I didn't walk out or anything, but none of those shows really resonated with me at the time.

Which Musical (Original or Revival) Was A major Disappointment For You?
 Apr 1 2013, 07:38:37 PM
@Jane2 - and don't forget the famous British saying "Bob's your uncle!"
Will PIPPIN be a hit?
 Mar 28 2013, 12:15:27 PM
I think it will be, and most likely will get a couple of Tony nominations. And how long it will play for is anyone's guess. It seems to be off to a good start for previews at this point.

What I've learned to appreciate about the show is its use of symbolism and metaphors. Taken for another coming of age story does make it seem uninteresting. But the play within a play concept props it up and makes it darker. With this production, I also like Paulus' use of the circus theme and how she f

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You