Will PIPPIN be a hit?

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#1Will PIPPIN be a hit?
Posted: 3/26/13 at 5:03pm

I just saw the first preview of Pippin and everyone loved the show and the first and second previews were sold out so it got a lot of buzz. But I am wondering if you think the show will be a success?

What do you think?!?!

ps the show was just AMAZING!

Updated On: 3/26/13 at 05:03 PM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#2Will PIPPIN be a hit?
Posted: 3/26/13 at 5:06pm

My crystal ball says yes.

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#2Will PIPPIN be a hit?
Posted: 3/26/13 at 5:06pm

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
Queen of the Night
#4Will PIPPIN be a hit?
Posted: 3/26/13 at 5:22pm

I sure as hell hope so!

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#5Will PIPPIN be a hit?
Posted: 3/26/13 at 5:29pm

It's off to a very promising start.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#6Will PIPPIN be a hit?
Posted: 3/26/13 at 6:32pm

What is your defintion of "hit" and "success"?

This is a serious question, because you may or may not be referring to critical acclaim and financial success.

There is nothing I've heard or read about this show that would lead me to conclude that it will be anything other than a hit, if measured by such things as reviews and awards. I would say that I'd be shocked if it did not win the Tony for best revival of a musical.

On the other hand, I have no idea how the show will do long term at the box office. Will it recoup, and go on to be profitable? Who knows? What does everyone think?

Cinderella might turn out to be more of a financial success, but I have no idea about that either.

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

whatever2
#7Will PIPPIN be a hit?
Posted: 3/26/13 at 8:27pm

sorry to be "that guy", but ...

was this thread really necessary???

there's already a thread on this same topic, and creating a second thread just makes it that bit harder for those of us who are genuinely interested to keep on top of things.

some message boards give Mods the authority to merge duplicate threads -- if I could vote for one change to BWW, this just might be it.

"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)

showchoirguy Profile Photo
showchoirguy
#8Will PIPPIN be a hit?
Posted: 3/26/13 at 9:31pm

^ I missed that thread, WickedRocks.

OrdinaryJukebox
#9Will PIPPIN be a hit?
Posted: 3/26/13 at 11:46pm

Ugh, I'm not a fan of this show and I'm certainly not a fan of the god-awful Patina Miller. It's great that they wanted to have the Leading Player be a woman. I love that idea. Couldn't they find a talented one, though?

FindingNamo
#10Will PIPPIN be a hit?
Posted: 3/26/13 at 11:47pm

They did.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

TheHappyPhantom
#11Will PIPPIN be a hit?
Posted: 3/26/13 at 11:48pm

I'm with you. The show is a awful mess. The production value doesn't make up for the bizarre, empty story and lame music.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#12Will PIPPIN be a hit?
Posted: 3/27/13 at 12:19am

I had no feelings whatsoever about Patina before seeing her in this. She is simply wonderful.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#13Will PIPPIN be a hit?
Posted: 3/27/13 at 8:21am

I saw the show last night, and it sure looks like it'll be a hit. I've been attending Broadway shows for almost 40 years now, and I never seen an audience response like the reaction Andrea Martin received last night for her number. People throw around the phrase "stopping the show", but Martin truly did stop the show like I've never seen before.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#14Will PIPPIN be a hit?
Posted: 3/27/13 at 9:35am

Patina Miller was wonderful, I think she could get nominated for leading actress.
Also Andrea Martin hands down best featured actress!

lenstersf
#15Will PIPPIN be a hit?
Posted: 3/27/13 at 10:16am

Patina Miller talentless and awful??? That is MADNESS.

OrdinaryJukebox
#16Will PIPPIN be a hit?
Posted: 3/27/13 at 10:51am

It's more like an opinion than "MADNESS," but, whatever. People aren't mad or crazy or any other negative epithet for having an opinion that differs from yours. But, I hope you feel better.

I find her to be heavily overrated and with a pinched/strained vocal quality that is not pleasing to my ear.

lenstersf
#17Will PIPPIN be a hit?
Posted: 3/27/13 at 11:24am

I wasn't calling you insane, but it is surprising someone would call her performance in Pippin to be awful...re-reading your post though, it's unclear if you've actually watched this production of Pippin. If not, you might need to re-consider! If you have, well, then our opinions do indeed differ.

OrdinaryJukebox
#18Will PIPPIN be a hit?
Posted: 3/27/13 at 1:07pm

Fair enough. I have not seen this production of "Pippin." My opinion is based on "Sister Act" and various youtube videos I've seen of her work.

I wouldn't pay to see this production and it has nothing to do with her. I simply don't like the show.

Hank
#19Will PIPPIN be a hit?
Posted: 3/27/13 at 1:38pm

Fair question. Fans of the show packed the early previews, as happens every so often, and from what I read on that other thread they are loving every minute of it. How that translates into sales to the tourists and casual goers remains to be seen. Raves from the critics and a few Tonys (not at all far fetched) should bring it over the top.

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#20Will PIPPIN be a hit?
Posted: 3/28/13 at 12:08am

I think it will be, but hell if I understand why. What I saw tonight felt like community theatre at the most amateur level. It's a confusing book with a handful of memorable songs outfitted with all the bells and whistles so the production can try to fool you into thinking its more than what it is.

That being said, Patina Miller is tremendous and I hope she's recognized for what a great performance she's giving. The show, to me, was completely "eh" and Rachel Bay Jones as Catherine was a real low point.

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#21Will PIPPIN be a hit?
Posted: 3/28/13 at 12:14am

I find her to be heavily overrated and with a pinched/strained vocal quality that is not pleasing to my ear.

Those are almost exactly the same words Arthur Laurents used to say...

...about Barbara Cook.

(Feel free to make of that whatever you wish.)

OrdinaryJukebox
#22Will PIPPIN be a hit?
Posted: 3/28/13 at 11:52am

The different between what Laurents would say and what I say is that I know my opinion is just that; my opinion. He spoke as if his word were fact and law. :P

HoldThatThought Profile Photo
HoldThatThought
#23Will PIPPIN be a hit?
Posted: 3/28/13 at 12:15pm

I think it will be, and most likely will get a couple of Tony nominations. And how long it will play for is anyone's guess. It seems to be off to a good start for previews at this point.

What I've learned to appreciate about the show is its use of symbolism and metaphors. Taken for another coming of age story does make it seem uninteresting. But the play within a play concept props it up and makes it darker. With this production, I also like Paulus' use of the circus theme and how she fit it in with the overall show. Most audiences won't notice the book's weaknesses. Could the book have been better? Sure. I wonder how much re-writing it could've taken for Hirson to really pull it together when he worked with Paulus and Schwartz on this? Regardless, I loved this production.