News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for LucyEth

Member Name: LucyEth
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Musicals that were announced but never materialised.  May 25 2020, 02:31:32 PM

I worked on "Whistle Down the Wind."  The official reason that the show was "postponed" was -- ironically enough -- that Really Useful was nervous about losing the Tony Award to "Steel Pier" that season!  That and to give the creatives more time to work out the kinks.  Something that might have been done in Washington had not each one of them disappeared after opening night.

Soft Power Previews  Oct 14 2019, 12:06:47 PM

Saw the show yesterday afternoon.  Thought it was hugely entertaining, an old-fashioned musical with modern-day smarts.  David Henry Hwang and Jeanine Tesori have, remarkably, combined a hate crime and the aftershocks of the Trump election to create a funny, moving and important piece of political musical theater -- all the time paying homage to R&H and the great song and dance shows of the past.  It's an odd, relevant and unlikely master work that ends o

INK Previews  Apr 6 2019, 08:55:47 PM

Saw this last night.  Close to three hours of sound and fury, signifying not much at all (and not wholly historically accurate).  We witness the birth of the worst kind of tabloid journalism possible, and while much of it resonates and reflects on what's happening in journalism and social media today, I can't say I ever had any "aha" moments.  It's an interesting play, beautifully performed and mounted, but I was never drawn into the st

LADY GAGA IN WICKED?  Feb 14 2019, 11:53:16 AM

I'm by no means an expert on the show, but I never got the sense that the story covers a decade.  Unless you're talking about what it feels like for the audience.  (Can you guess I'm not a big fan?)

LADY GAGA IN WICKED?  Feb 14 2019, 11:39:55 AM

By the time this film gets made -- if ever -- Gaga will be mid-30s.  A little long in the tooth, no?  Unless we're looking at a repeat of the "Grease" film, in which everyone was too old.  

Merrily We Roll Along Previews (2019)  Jan 21 2019, 04:57:07 PM

SPOILERS AHEAD

JBroadway: Apologies for taking so long to get back to you, have been busy with Life!

For me, by cutting unnecessary characters and events -- no-one invents the phone machine, there's no Frank Jr., no lawyer Jerome -- this production clarifies what's important about the story, and that's the relationship between these three people.  There's a poignancy to the "Old Friends" section of "It's a Hit" that never hit me befor

Merrily We Roll Along Previews (2019)  Jan 19 2019, 01:40:25 AM

This version reinstates the Charlie/Mary restaurant scene, so that Frank has time to reflect and stew after the TV interview.  And it works much better.

Merrily We Roll Along Previews (2019)  Jan 17 2019, 10:15:02 PM

I'm really surprised and disappointed by the negative comments here.  Obviously tastes differ, but I find this to be the only production since the original that justifies the story going backward.  It's always been the conceit, of course, but IMHO the Lapine version (and its subsequent iterations, some of which I have enjoyed very much) simply starts when it starts and goes back in time without ever explaining why.  By eliminating the high school gra

Merrily We Roll Along Previews (2019)  Jan 13 2019, 01:43:04 PM

Full disclosure, I'm an original cast member, so this show is very dear to my heart, as you can imagine.  I was there last night and found it thrilling.  It's a complete top-to-bottom reinvention of the show, one that focuses solely on the six main characters, using some earlier book scenes and lyrics, most of which I've never heard before.  Locations are changed, songs are deconstructed, lyrics are reassigned -- and the whole thing works incredibly well.

CLUELESS THE MUSICAL  Dec 29 2018, 04:03:41 PM

OMG, saw this last night.  One of the most inept, amateurish evening I've ever experienced in the theater.  And I'm a native New Yorker who's been seeing theater for over 40 years.  (And no, I'm not too old to appreciate well-done fluff.)  Dove Cameron, was out, which might have contributed to the slapdash nature of things, but I can't imagine that her presence would have helped that much.  Truly, this was like a stale Hasty Pudding spoof. &nb

THE PROM Previews  Nov 11 2018, 07:33:05 PM

Just saw the HD broadcast of "Everybody's Talking About Jamie" this afternoon.  OMG, what a glorious, moving, life-affirming musical.  It's the show "The Prom" could have been had it taken itself seriously.

THE PROM Previews  Nov 3 2018, 11:09:30 PM

I know it's not fair to judge a show for what it's not, but I think this would have been so much more successful had they concentrated on how a small town deals with homophobia.  Had Beth Leavel and Chris Sieber played Emma's parents (she's too conveniently alone right now, IMHO -- where the hell is grandma?), the writers would have been able to really explore the whole conflicted family vs. town dynamic.  Even if they were accepting parents dealing with a

Mother of the Maid at The Public Theater  Oct 21 2018, 01:31:07 AM

This was pretty much a total miss for me.  It just had no idea what it wanted to be.  One moment it was a sitcom (and a not very funny one at that), the next a Barbara Stanwyck mother/daughter weepy.  And then at the end we're asked to take it all super seriously.  The anachronistic dialogue drove me crazy.  Every time Glenn Close called Joan "Joanie," I kept thinking "...loves Chachi."  And when the high tone woman at the castle tells&nbs

Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?  Sep 29 2018, 11:40:46 PM

Saw this tonight and have very mixed feelings.  On the one hand, it definitely takes a while to get going.  The songs don't really have anything to do with what's happening onstage beyond reflecting the moods of the characters.  And there is way too much exposition in Act 1 about people you don't really care about...and never do.  On the other hand, this is the most crazily talented ensemble I've had the privilege to watch since "Come From Aw

THE GLASS MENAGERIE Previews (2017 Revival)  Feb 9 2017, 02:35:14 PM

SPOILERS

Add me to the list of the unimpressed.  While not a complete disaster, this production adds NOTHING to our understanding of the text in any way, shape or form.  It's bewildering to leave an audience sitting in silence for a full minute as Field and Mantello lift impaired actress Madison Ferris onto the stage.  Given that she turns out to be a not particularly skilled actress makes her casting more stunt than inspiration.  It's a choice that'

She Loves Me streaming  Jun 30 2016, 04:26:07 PM

Right now I'm having difficulty with the Broadway HD app using Apple TV that I did not have when it was first installed.  I can open the Broadway HD app, but then when I click on "She Loves Me," I get kicked off the Broadway HD app and sent back to my Apple TV menu.  All other Apple TV apps work perfectly.  Any ideas, anyone?  May just tell my CC company to cancel purchases if we're unable to access live stream tonight.

DEAR EVAN HANSEN at Off-Broadway's Second Stage Theatre  May 1 2016, 10:31:09 PM

I am thrilled about the rave reviews that are coming in for this show.  Saw it last night and was completely overwhelmed.  The entire cast is superb, particularly Rachel Bay Jones, who can do anything IMHO.  But there are no words to describe what Ben Platt is doing on that stage.  It's probably the purest performance I've ever seen on stage...period.  An exquisite, very important piece of theater.

Fiddler on the Roof Previews  Dec 6 2015, 11:59:58 PM

I was out Friday night at 11:00.

Fiddler on the Roof Previews  Dec 6 2015, 08:57:21 PM

Patinkin, of whom I'm not a big fan, would have at least given this production the larger than life star power it lacks.  It's been directed as an ensemble piece, which it's never been.  Agreed that Alix Korey's understated Yente is welcome.  She's always been a wacka wacka kind of performer, but here she's terrific and much more "real" than I would have thought her capable of.

Fiddler on the Roof Previews  Dec 6 2015, 08:53:17 PM

Agree that the flying fiddler was marvelous, but that was in the first 10 minutes of the show.  After that the show was magic free IMHO.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You