pixeltracker

Musicals that were announced but never materialised.

Musicals that were announced but never materialised.

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#1Musicals that were announced but never materialised.
Posted: 5/23/20 at 11:39am

Just interested in some examples of shows that were announced but for whatever reason never materialised. 

The one that comes to my mind is the BOMBSHELL musical that was announced but seems to be dead with the recent news that a SMASH musical is in development. 

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

lachri5
#2Musicals that were announced but never materialised.
Posted: 5/23/20 at 11:48am

Rebecca, Nerds, Funny Girl revival

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#3Musicals that were announced but never materialised.
Posted: 5/23/20 at 11:49am

Ever After

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#4Musicals that were announced but never materialised.
Posted: 5/23/20 at 12:01pm

Pretty much every new musical Kristin Chenoweth is attached to seems to never go further the workshop level

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#5Musicals that were announced but never materialised.
Posted: 5/23/20 at 12:36pm

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#6Musicals that were announced but never materialised.
Posted: 5/23/20 at 12:37pm

All the shows mentioned did materialize, just not on Broadway.

Betty Boop and Houdini both spring to mind here.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ImAProphet
#7Musicals that were announced but never materialised.
Posted: 5/23/20 at 12:48pm

Wasn't Zooey Deschanel going to be in Coal Miner's Daughter at one point?

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#8Musicals that were announced but never materialised.
Posted: 5/23/20 at 12:56pm

N — The Queen of Paris. It announced Toronto and Chicago pre Broadway engagements, but neither ended up happening. Haven’t heard anything about this show since.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

BCfitasafiddle
#9Musicals that were announced but never materialised.
Posted: 5/23/20 at 1:13pm

The Heart of Robin Hood. Was announced for the Marquis Theatre in Spring of 2015, then cancelled in January. 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#10Musicals that were announced but never materialised.
Posted: 5/23/20 at 1:34pm

Sorry to be pedantic, but I feel like it isn't fair to say that many of these shows "never materialized," when in fact, they had already played out of town. I feel like the OP was probably asking more about musicals that were announced to begin development, but never saw the light of day. 

EDIT: I missed Kad's post making the same point. Sorry! 

Updated On: 5/23/20 at 01:34 PM

lachri5
#11Musicals that were announced but never materialised.
Posted: 5/23/20 at 2:12pm

OK, Rebecca and Nerds had materialized outside of Broadway. But I don't think the Lauren Ambrose Funny Girl played anywhere. Do revivals count?

Edit: Playbill has a list of upcoming Broadway shows, some from the "In the Works" section haven't materialized yet, Like Magic Mike. https://www.playbill.com/article/schedule-of-upcoming-and-announced-broadway-shows-com-113677

Updated On: 5/23/20 at 02:12 PM

Globefan
#12Musicals that were announced but never materialised.
Posted: 5/23/20 at 2:18pm

A musical based on Archie Comics

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#14Musicals that were announced but never materialised.
Posted: 5/23/20 at 2:32pm

God's Other Son: The Musical, book by Don Imus and Charles McCord, music and lyrics by Kinky Friedman, directed by Jerry Zaks. A musicalization of Imus' "Billy Sol Hargus" character, based on the novelized back-story of same. Announced in the afterword to an early Nineties paperback edition of the novel, and written about in articles discussing Friedman's career in the late Eighties, but never went anywhere.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#15Musicals that were announced but never materialised.
Posted: 5/23/20 at 2:46pm

I'm still waiting for the Diane Warren catalogue musical.

GrantGrant
#16Musicals that were announced but never materialised.
Posted: 5/23/20 at 3:03pm

There was a Singin' in the Rain revival announced staring Derek Hough back in 2016 or 2017 but it just never happened. My high school choir was going to NYC and we ran a poll on what show to see, and Singin' in the Rain won, but we ended up seeing Aladdin instead.

trentsketch Profile Photo
trentsketch
#17Musicals that were announced but never materialised.
Posted: 5/23/20 at 3:37pm

Did anything ever come of the Garfield musical? I know Jim Davis prepared years worth of comics in advance to concentrate on writing it. 

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#18Musicals that were announced but never materialised.
Posted: 5/23/20 at 4:00pm

GrantGrant said: "There was a Singin' in the Rain revival announced staringDerek Hough back in 2016 or 2017 but it just never happened. My high school choir was going to NYC and we ran a poll on what show to see, and Singin' in the Rain won, but we ended up seeing Aladdin instead."

Harvey Weinstein can't produce from prison Musicals that were announced but never materialised.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#19Musicals that were announced but never materialised.
Posted: 5/23/20 at 4:22pm

Unless he finished a LOT of work in advance, the Archie musical probably died with the late Adam Schlesinger. (Either that or Archie Comics industry decided its stylistic focus on the campy old ones didn’t fit with the modern, sexier direction of the franchise and the rebooted comics.)

Klem
#20Musicals that were announced but never materialised.
Posted: 5/23/20 at 4:29pm

INTERMISSION! THE MUSICAL! , a sensationally funny new musical from the master of wacky comedies including cinematic sensations Airplane! and The Naked Gun, Jerry Zucker. INTERMISSION! is the story of two dim-witted brothers who come to Potku-Potku (a tiny monarchy located... somewhere...) after receiving an email from someone they never heard of, claiming that money has been left to them by a relative they never knew they had. They each fall in love, get caught up in a military coup, join a band of revolutionaries and have to save the country-of course. The book is by Zucker, with music and lyrics by Alan Zachary and Michael Weiner. Zucker directs with choreography and staging by Anthony Van Laast.

Pernigraniline
#21Musicals that were announced but never materialised.
Posted: 5/23/20 at 4:59pm

'Sleeping Beauty' by Trisha Ward was due to open in Dublin, years ago, starring Ria Jones as an evil queen. There was a website with a cast album - I vividly recall Ria as an evil queen singing "It wasn't Me"... but its never been heard of since.

Theatrefanboy1
#22Musicals that were announced but never materialised.
Posted: 5/23/20 at 6:18pm

The ones I had most looked forward to were:

Rebecca
Funny Girl with Lea Michele
Coal miners daughter
Magic Mike
Celine Dion musical with the former head of cirque du soilel.
Joseph and the amazing technicolor dream coat (the 50th )
Love never dies

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#23Musicals that were announced but never materialised.
Posted: 5/23/20 at 6:51pm

Was Funny Girl with Lea Michele ever actually announced or was it just Michele herself talking about it hoping to get it green lit by making enough people excited about it. Backfired. 

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

davidbrian81
#24Musicals that were announced but never materialised.
Posted: 5/23/20 at 7:29pm

Lloyd Webber announced The Master and Margarita before Stephen Ward if I remember correctly.  Wasn't Sondheim working on something before Road Show?

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#25Musicals that were announced but never materialised.
Posted: 5/23/20 at 8:16pm

There was a Monopoly musical workshopping a year ago which hasn’t come in yet.

I also would have liked to see the Roman Holiday musical on Broadway but it did not transfer after 3 regional tryouts.