News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for funnyman2

Member Name: funnyman2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Moulin Rouge - Today’s Matinee AND Evening CANCELLED  Mar 12 2020, 01:45:56 PM
Just showed up at Moulin Rouge for todays 2pm matinee to be met by crowds of people being met by staffers telling everyone that both shows today were cancelled. Refunds are currently being processed through everyones point of sales.
Aladdin Toronto previews  Nov 6 2013, 12:57:56 AM
@kyl3fong2, the carpet does not fly out over the audience, but it is all over that stage. High and low, upstage and downstage, even turning around instead of just facing one direction. It really is magical.
Aladdin Toronto previews  Nov 4 2013, 05:36:39 PM
@PastorErnst, I took Iago as being portrayed as a human as opposed to a parrot. His costume doesn't suggest anything birdlike, and everyone else seemed to treat him as a person. Jafar has a line to the effect of 'Must you always be parroting everything I say?', which I saw as a small inside joke.
Aladdin Toronto previews  Nov 4 2013, 03:41:51 PM
@RumTumJM, I don't recall the pyro itself being excessively loud, but some confetti canons go off at the end of Friend Like Me with a very audible 'bang!'

@bwayphreak234, I enjoyed the set very much. The one aspect I liked the most was that there are multiple components to the village/marketplace set that move, turn and reorient to establish different settings. They also have 'towers' that can grow out of them to add height. Other settings consisted of various pieces and backdrops that

Aladdin Toronto previews  Nov 3 2013, 01:02:07 PM
@Kad, when I first read the song list before the show started, I was surprised to see the intermission where it was (again, I was not familiar with the Seattle production). Like you, I thought it was weird for Act I to end just after the Genie is introduced and the real action picks up. The inclusion of Babkak, Omar and Kassim helps fill out the first act. They colour in more of Aladdin's backstory (they grew up together and used to be street musicians), and introduce the motivation for Aladdin
Aladdin Toronto previews  Nov 3 2013, 12:52:34 PM
@mikeyb16, there is indeed an Overture and Entr'acte, both very grand and good at setting the mood. Overall the score was good, with a mix of different musical styles, and I really liked the reorchestration of a lot of music to give everything a bit more prominent Middle Eastern flavour.
Aladdin Toronto previews  Nov 3 2013, 12:48:45 PM
@N@N Nate., I've already commented on Call Me a Princess (didn't like) and Diamond in the Rough (liked), and overall the rest of the songs worked fine in the show, both for entertainment and for plot purposes. Some felt kind of forced; for example, halfway through Act II seemed like an odd place to suddenly have a buddy number, which Somebody's Got Your Back is (in the context of the show, Aladdin uses his second wish to free him and his friends from being Jafar's prisoners, and after reiterati
Aladdin Toronto previews  Nov 3 2013, 10:23:50 AM
@N2N Nate., Songwise, I feel Jasmine would have been more deeply characterized if they kept To Be Free. Call Me a Princess alone gives an incomplete picture of her, and as I mentioned previously it kind of keeps her out of balance with Aladdin who has Proud of Your Boy. That being said, she comes off less of a brat as in the movie, and there are scenes throughout that help show her yearning to explore outside of her princess life. However, I always felt this from the movie, but Jasmine really do
Aladdin Toronto previews  Nov 3 2013, 10:06:49 AM
@HorseTears, Here's a link to a shot I took of the head shots and names of the ensemble. The show had one of the most ethnically diverse ensembles I've seen, and it does seem there were a few people of Middle Eastern descent.

Aladdin Toronto previews  Nov 3 2013, 09:51:21 AM
@Younger Brother, the Genie does not wear blue makeup, but he wears various outfits that are blue. Except towards the end: he wears white when he's enslaved by Jafar, then when reenters after being set free and before he heads off, he's wearing tourist vacation wear (shorts and shirt) like in the end of the movie.
Aladdin Toronto previews  Nov 3 2013, 09:47:38 AM
Also, I just looked up Why Me?, and I prefer Diamond in the Rough better. In the show, Jafar and Iago get in disguise to confront Aladdin, and sing the song to convince him to steal the lamp. It's quite funny (Jonathan Freeman and Don Darryl Rivera have fantastic chemistry), and advances the plot more (it introduces the notion to Aladdin that he needs to impress Jasmine with wealth and power).
Aladdin Toronto previews  Nov 3 2013, 09:37:13 AM
@CATSNYrevival, I did not follow the Seattle production so have no comparison, but I can say that I thought it felt weird that Jasmine's first song (and also her only solo besides the Reprise) was Call Me a Princess. I understood what the number was supposed to be doing, but to me it didn't really convey how Jasmine was trying to turn off her suitors. When she first enters the scene after overhearing the Sultan and the princes talking about, she dresses up all crazily and (to me at least) acts i
Aladdin Toronto previews  Nov 3 2013, 01:04:24 AM
I just saw tonight's preview! For those wondering about the Song List:

ACT I
Arabian Nights - Babkak, Omar, Kassim, Company
One Jump Ahead - Aladdin, Crowd
Proud of Your Boy - Aladdin
Arabian Nights (Reprise) - Babkak, Omar, Kassim
Call Me a Princess - Jasmine, Female Attendants
Call Me a Princess (Reprise) - Jasmine
Babkak, Omar, Aladdin, Kassim - Babkak, Omar, Aladdin, Kassim
A Million Miles Away - Aladdin, Jasmine
Diamond in the Rough - Jafar, Iago

Question - New to the World of the Working Actor  Oct 30 2013, 12:06:06 AM
Thanks for the input, givesmevoice. Anyone else with similar experience have a say?
Question - New to the World of the Working Actor  Oct 29 2013, 12:15:12 PM
Hey everyone, I'm just starting out as a working (theatre) actor, freshly moved to Toronto, and I had a question. As is the usual case I'm applying to joe jobs (retail) between acting gigs. My work history has been a bit sparse as I've been busy with finishing school. However I do have paid theatre jobs under my belt. Particularly I did successive shows with the same company which constitute a significant amount of time. Is putting this theatre experience on a work resume an acceptable thing? I'
Rant about the 2013 TONY nominations here  Apr 30 2013, 08:48:42 AM
So it's come to this: all four nominees for Best Musical are (at least partially) based on films. I know Matilda is 'based on the novel' but there still is a pre-existing movie, and people do associate the two.
CZJ lip-synced at the Oscars  Feb 26 2013, 02:42:21 PM
A poster in another thread says that she sang the first bit of the song live, then started lip-synching once she got off the piano and started dancing. This makes sense to me, as I didn't start thinking she was lip-synching until halfway through.
School Musical?  Sep 8 2012, 01:49:15 AM
Sounds like it could be Children of Eden: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_of_Eden
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You