pixeltracker

Question - New to the World of the Working Actor

Question - New to the World of the Working Actor

funnyman2
#1Question - New to the World of the Working Actor
Posted: 10/29/13 at 12:15pm

Hey everyone, I'm just starting out as a working (theatre) actor, freshly moved to Toronto, and I had a question. As is the usual case I'm applying to joe jobs (retail) between acting gigs. My work history has been a bit sparse as I've been busy with finishing school. However I do have paid theatre jobs under my belt. Particularly I did successive shows with the same company which constitute a significant amount of time. Is putting this theatre experience on a work resume an acceptable thing? I'm considering it because it does fill in the gaps, although I could understand if someone were confused to see my tenure at a theatre company amidst desk jobs. Apologies if this question seems idiotic, like I said I'm kind of new to all this, thanks in advance!

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#2Question - New to the World of the Working Actor
Posted: 10/29/13 at 12:24pm

I've never been in this situation personally, but I would recommend putting it on your resume, but in a section separate from other work history. But someone here might have another suggestion.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

funnyman2
#2Question - New to the World of the Working Actor
Posted: 10/30/13 at 12:06am

Thanks for the input, givesmevoice. Anyone else with similar experience have a say?

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#3Question - New to the World of the Working Actor
Posted: 10/30/13 at 12:15am

Never leave gaps on a resume.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

someone.else's.story2 Profile Photo
someone.else's.story2
#4Question - New to the World of the Working Actor
Posted: 10/30/13 at 11:49am

In my experience, for the mindless day jobs we often do (server, personal trainer, hostess, temping, retail) I don't think a gap in time matters as much as how you present yourself in person. If you go in and present yourself as reliable, personable and capable, you should be fine. You would be shocked at how many times I arrived at a temp job simply on time and they were amazed at how "great" I was.

As long as you aren't a flake, you already are way ahead of a lot of people with dayjobs.

“I regard the theatre as the greatest of all art forms, the most immediate way in which a human being can share with another the sense of what it is to be a human being.” ``oscar wilde``