News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for toomeytwopiece

toomeytwopiece Profile Photo
Member Name: toomeytwopiece
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

FRINGE FESTIVAL THREAD
 Aug 13 2011, 02:28:02 AM
"Winner Take All" was quite good tonight. The place was packed and they received an enthusiastic standing ovation. I'd recommend it!
re: The Best Male Voice on Broadway
 Feb 4 2009, 12:33:52 PM

I love Aaron Lazar's voice, but then I went to school with him, so I am a bit biased LOL. I also LOVE Billy Porter's voice; as well as Stephen Pasquale's. I have a lot of love for John Raitt's, and Mario Lanza's. Brian Stokes Mitchell's voice has a unique and emotive tone. Brian d'Arcy James' voice is similarly unique and he's one heck of an actor.

The rest are ok.. but they are musical theater stylists... not singers in the all-encompassing sense of the word. Furthermore,

re: NYMF STARTS TODAY
 Sep 18 2008, 03:43:31 PM
BEDBUGS has had 2 extensions added... they aren't on the main "Bedbugs" page of the NYMF website yet - but they ARE on the calendar and available for purchase:

SUNDAY 9/21 @ 1:00PM
SATURDAY 9/27 @ 11PM
(YES, 11pm - but with this show - THAT is the show you will want to come to lol... and you may dress up in bug-like costumes if you wish... or like demented Canadian pop-singers... your choice).

https://www.ovationtix.com/trs/cal/52

A PLEA! Run to see "Stain" at the Kirk on 42nd
 Aug 7 2008, 02:39:40 PM
I don't normally do this, but in light of some of the HARSH reviews this play has received, I wanted to do something to comnbat that.

I went to see the play "Stain" last night at The Kirk Theatre on Theatre Row (west 42nd at 9th ave).

I won't go on and on, I'll just get to the point.

ACTING: amazing... seriously, I haven't seen so uniformally an excellent group of performances in a play in a LONG time. It's not easy material either, and the cast pulled off an incredible night of theater.

DIRECTION: excellent as well. the director is brave and has assembled a team that not only was able to meet the demands of the material, but also make the material shine

PLAY: gut-wrenchingly honest... it's good, people. It has its flaws... what DOESN'T??? but it tackles some painful material...

you must see this play. you may hate it - you may want to punch the playwright immediately after it ends, but I guarantee that after about 5 min, you will realize how wonderful the experience was, despite how upset you might be... and you will have grown, because the playwright, director, and cast have challenged you to see life through the eyes of another... instead of letting you sit there and NOT think...

http://www.theatermania.com/content/news.cfm?int_news_id=14620#comments

re: NYMF 2008 BUZZ!
 Aug 7 2008, 02:32:39 PM
You must ALL see "BEDBUGS!!!"

and yes, that's an ORDER!

plus, the composer was a Drama Desk nominee along-side Fred Ebb in 2007... so it can't be too bad.

BE THERE... it's actually funny (intelligently so

TONIGHT: Real singing, anyone? ;)
 Jul 14 2008, 10:41:04 AM
hello, lovely BWW pals!

Tonight at TOWN HALL on West 43rd Street, I will be part of a cast that includes:

Christine Andreas, Bill Daugherty, Metropolitan Opera star John Easterlin, Alexander Gemignani, Jason Graae, Lisa Howard, Milla Ilieva, Marc Kudisch, Ray Jaramillo McLeod, William Michals, Karen Murphy, and Jennifer Hope Wills.

The concert is "A Night at the Operetta" (direction by Dan Foster, musical direction/supervision by Fred Barton, produced by Scott Siegel -

re: False information being posted-please read
 Jul 7 2008, 01:32:14 PM
Not that this matters, but...

All I know is that they are going VERY young with casting... as in many of the guys in town who wanted to go in for this were turned down just because of age.

I say that whoever IS cast better sing the high note in MARIA and not do the optional. I want to hear this score SUNG... for real... and not in that bright, speak-singy way.

re: How was Tyne Daly as Rose?
 Jul 7 2008, 01:27:06 PM
That's absolutely true about Tyne being graceful. She's a pretty amazing lady!
re: How was Tyne Daly as Rose?
 Jul 7 2008, 01:09:38 PM
Watching Tyne's performance of "Rose's Turn" on YouTube, I notice that she starts STRONG... but then it's obvious that she is VERY aware that she has to sing. It's uncomfortable, but she IS a great actress - and she will always be one of the greats.

My favorite Rose was Bernadette Peters. She was amazing. I saw her after she had been ill with the bad throat infection (and trust me, one of those can last a LONG time and kill your voice). She was REALLY strong vocally. That aside, it was the best acted I have ever seen the role (and one of the best acted performances I have ever seen in a musical).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOd-ivbiYXE&feature=related

that's from the Tony Awards that season. It's incredible (and when I saw her IN the show, she was even better). I love Patti LuPone for many reasons, but her performance isn't comparable, and I don't mean that as a put-down. It just didn't do for me what Bernadette's did. Her's was just incredible, AND she made it her own. Politics... and the Tonys... 'perfect together' (rolls eyes)...

re: Congratulations Tony Award Winner Laura Benanti
 Jun 16 2008, 03:36:05 PM
This was one of those awards that truly HAD to happen.

She was quite exceptional in GYPSY - I am so glad that she won!!

re: XANADU TONY Performance: Why?
 Jun 16 2008, 03:34:39 PM
"Cheyenne and Kerry's beauty stole the show..."

this pisses me off (the person who posted this comment doesn't.. just the sentiment).

Who cares? Everyone in the Bway community is beautiful somehow... and the Tony's are about BUSINESS and selling tickets.

WHY did they not have Mary Testa & Jackie Hoffman do "Evil Woman?"

THAT would have brought down the house, AND it would have made the lampooning-nature of the show clear.

Everyone has seen Cheyenne J

re: LIZA WAS A HOT MESS TONIGHT!
 Jun 16 2008, 03:31:01 PM
Wait a second...

She looked, and seemed, incredibly WELL, guys!!

I mean, she's in shape, she was totally on point when she was on stage, and she seems happy. It was a joy to see her so together... and not just barely - but REALLY together.

I mean, who know really, but she's no Spring Chicken, and she looked HOT compared to some of the ladies there who are younger and who've been to far less parties along the way.

Go, Liza :)

Brian Charles Rooney in EDWARD THE KING beginning 5/14
 May 9 2008, 01:53:08 AM
Just a plug for the upcoming Off-Broadway run of David Brendan Hopes' EDWARD THE KING, at the Barrow Group, May 14 – May 24, 2008.

I am very proud of this production. I was part of the staged reading last year, and the play received a lot of great feedback (thus the fully staged version this year). I would love to see you all there :)

https://www.ovationtix.com/trs/cal/435

----------------------------------------------------------------

Beset by the duties of his birth and dominated by a heroic father, Edward II (Chad Hoeppner of Broadway's "Come Back, Little Sheba") looks forward to a life of apparent conformity and desperate subterfuge, until he meets Piers Gaveston (Brian Charles Rooney of Broadway's "The Threepenny Opera") in a dirty alley. It is love and rebellion at first sight. From then on, Edward steers a perilous course between desire and safety, which does not entirely end even when he becomes king, and faces not only the usual enemies of unconventional love, but his queen and her lover as well. Edward the King neatly straddles the fourteenth and twenty-first centuries, which manage to appear almost equally violent and inhospitable to love.

Directed by: Sidney J. Burgoyne
Featuring: Meg McQuillan, Patrick Porter, & Jo Ann Cunningham

re: Brian Charles Rooney in CAMELOT????
 Mar 6 2008, 11:01:53 AM
aww - shucks

not Mordred (although hope to play it someday)

that is all

re: 'Camelot' on PBS!
 Mar 5 2008, 06:21:54 PM

so... so... psyched!

re: 'Camelot' on PBS!
 Mar 5 2008, 06:21:53 PM

so... so... psyched!

re: The Threepenny Opera - Definitive Recording?
 Mar 5 2008, 06:20:00 PM
Ed_Mottershead,

>"Did u see the Roundabout production with Cumming/Lauper? It >was HORRENDOUS..."

I am sorry you despised the production so much.

> "...and Cumming appeared to be on something..."

I can assure you that Mr. Cumming was not "On" anything. He is a professional and a gentleman. He is not a lunatic drug addict.

> "...as was the clip they did on the Tony broadcast that year."

unfortunately, due to time constraints, the music for t

re: Have you ever fallen asleep in a Broadway show?
 Feb 26 2008, 07:35:35 PM
[QUOTE=folkyboy]adam, at a production of The Threepenny Opera i saw, Brian Charles Rooney fell asleep backstage and Alan Cumming kept calling for Lucy Brown OVER AND OVER until someone woke Brian up. it was funny[/QUOTE]

No, actually BCR is Diabetic and had a bad case of insulin shock (when your blood sugar level is so low you can pass out). if it weren't for Valisia Lekae Little, BCR might have been in serious trouble

No one mentions that when this lovely bit of trivia comes up, because one of his Cast Mates "lovingly" recalled the anecdote for the Playbill Yearbook, without mentioning the fact that it was a health issue.

Hey, we all have our issues! :) All I can say is that BCR works hard

re: Highest Note Hit by a Male Actor on Broadway Album
 Jan 30 2008, 11:04:02 PM
oh, and when I say "belt" - it's a male mix... no male who sings correctly BELTS above a High C or so... it's just not good for you, and it never sounds right. You can growl and make it sound like it's belted, but that's the trick
re: Highest Note Hit by a Male Actor on Broadway Album
 Jan 30 2008, 11:00:52 PM
I couldn't resist...

In Threepenny, the highest note in the Jealousy Duet, is not the "high Note" for that character... instead, it was the High A in "Lucy's Aria"

My soprano is actually not falsetto. It's full voice. The High A doesn't actually sound incredibly high, because it's comfortable.

As far as my belt, as a tenor, the highest I have had to belt was a high g above high c... crazy, and always a safe mix.

so there's the threepenny info for ya The opera part of La Cage was not as high

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You