News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Follies

Follies Profile Photo
Member Name: Follies
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Sweeney Todd: Hero or Villain?
 Feb 5 2006, 10:22:06 PM
Anyone who thinks Lovett is not a villian needs to see this show again.
re: Sweeney Todd: Hero or Villain?
 Feb 5 2006, 10:17:20 PM
Lovett is the true villian of the piece. The difference between her and Sweeney is that while Todd was brought to madness by revenge, Lovett's evil stems from jealousy (Mrs Mooney, Mrs barker) and a lust for money (all of "God, That's Good")

"Evil is here her sir/the stink of evil/from below/from her/She's the devils wife/She's the devils wife/Beware sir/Beware of her" - Beggar Woman

re: 'FOLLIES' - The Ultimate Recording
 Feb 4 2006, 06:40:19 PM
Barbara Cook annoys me sometimes. Besides, Dorothy Collins is the only "Buddy's Eyes" for me.
"FOLLIES" - The Ultimate Recording
 Feb 4 2006, 06:15:46 PM
OK these are not really all in the right order but this is my own version of the Ultimate "Follies" disc:

Let me know what you think.

1. Prologue/Overture - Papermill Recording
2. Beautiful Girls - Live Recording
3. Don’t Look at Me - Original Broadway Cast (Dorothy Collins, John McMartin)
4. Waiting For the Girls Downstairs - Original Broadway Cast (Alexis Smith, Dorothy Collins)
5. Rain on the Roof - Complete Recording
6. Ah Paris - Live Recording (Lilia

re: 'The Apple Tree' is coming back to Broadway
 Feb 4 2006, 06:05:24 PM
I saw Kristin, Michael and Malcolm do the show at the City Center last year. It was fantastic!! Chenoweth was amazing (and got some rave from Brantley). I think the show would actually be a pretty big hit. Especially considering Kristins work on "West Wing" and in the soon to be released "RV". You never know.
re: Is anyone going to see the Bombay Dreams National Tour???
 Feb 2 2006, 08:38:02 PM
"and actually at the end of Bombay Dreams everything turns around, so it's not too smart walking out on this show." - Muscle23ftl

I saw the show in London. It was good in London. The Broadway cast was horrible!

re: Is anyone going to see the Bombay Dreams National Tour???
 Feb 2 2006, 05:54:42 PM
"Bombay Dreams" remains the only show I ever walked out on. Saw it in London and loved it. The broadway production was almost as bad as the OBC of "Chess".
re: Your most treasured recording?
 Feb 2 2006, 03:56:58 PM
"The OBC and Revival recordings of 'Sweeney Todd' = the two greatest recordings of musical theater, in my opinion." - Iluvtheatertrash

You should hear the Barcelona cast. It's awesome!!

re: Favorite 'Follies' recording?
 Feb 2 2006, 12:57:30 PM
I didn't find it to be poor at all. I mean the show is old. I was not expecting anything crazy good quality-wise.

You should go see it. Alexis Smith is fantastic. Especially during "Lucy and Jessie" Hell, look at my avatar! haha

re: Favorite 'Follies' recording?
 Feb 2 2006, 12:37:51 PM
We are actually pretty lucky if you think about it. All of the "Follies" recordings are pretty damn good. They could have been a lot worse ("Company" revival).

The original does seem to have the most magic though. Alexis Smith was perfect as Phyllis. Anyone ever gone to see, or ever get to see the video of the OBC? It is amazing!!

Your most treasured recording?
 Feb 2 2006, 11:43:04 AM
For whatever reason, whether it is because of its rarity or because of sentiment.

Mine would be:

"Sweeney" OBC and Barcelona Cast recordings
"The Capeman" OBC - LOVE THIS SHOW!!!! What an unfortunate disaster it turned out to be.
"Follies" - OBC
"A Little Night Music" Royal National Theater Recording - Judi Dench's "Send in the Clowns" still gives me chills.
"Edwin Drood" OBC - Cleo Laine's "Wages of Sin" always makes me sad for some reason.

Favorite 'Follies" recording?
 Feb 2 2006, 09:56:56 AM
What is your personal favorite?

While I am a big fan of the complete recording I cannot tear myself away from the OBC recording (as butchered as it is) and the incredible performances of Alexis Smith (Tony Award),Dorothy Collins, John McMartin and Gene Nelson.

re: Favorite 'Sweeney Todd' recording?
 Feb 1 2006, 08:26:27 PM
I love that Toby is a woman on the Barcelona cast. I love her "Not While I'm Around"
Mr Todd
 Feb 1 2006, 07:16:38 PM
"Wow. You're totally right. Patti sucks! If only I'd seen the light earlier."

It's OK. Sometimes it can take a while.

Favorite "Sweeney Todd" recording?
 Feb 1 2006, 06:48:45 PM
There are a bunch out there. Which one is your favorite?

Mine is the OBC followed by the Barcelona Cast.

Mr Todd
 Feb 1 2006, 06:33:16 PM
"Nope, but I doubt they played a Tuba tooting Lovett in torn fish-net hose and a rump-grabbing black mini, and a gothic black wig."

Patti Lupone should NOT be wearing a mini-skirt. That is another problem I had with her. LOL Again, we need to agree to disagree here =)

re: What Sweeney Cast Members Will Get Tony Noms?
 Feb 1 2006, 06:24:28 PM
"Hello? Mark Jacoby is so strong as the Judge, what a presence. He's menacing yet so vulnerable. I hope he gets it!"

I was disapointed with him in this. I love Jacoby. I expected more.

Mr Todd
 Feb 1 2006, 06:16:22 PM
"she reinvented the character like no other actress has done before."

Did you see Baranski, Kaye or McKenzie?

re: What Sweeney Cast Members Will Get Tony Noms?
 Feb 1 2006, 06:08:03 PM
Call me crazy but I would not be surprised if Patti, Michael, Manoel and Donna sweeped. I know it sounds nuts but you never know. I think Manoel deserves to win.
Mr Todd
 Feb 1 2006, 05:56:57 PM
"This is fun: I like Patti's performance because she does act the hell out of it."

If by acting you mean "playing a cockney brit like Maria from Bedstuy, NY" than you would be correct.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You