News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for BVR24

Member Name: BVR24
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: College Censorship of Plays (Specifically, DOG SEES GOD) -- advice want
 Apr 28 2008, 11:34:32 PM
Now I get it, Roscoe. After an exhaustive review of your entire blog archive (yes, I read the whole damn thing... creepy, huh?), I'm finally starting to get you. I guess I assumed that you were like one of those kids who just foams at the mouth about things not being as good as YOU would do them.

I'm delighted to learn that - in fact - you are NOT a kid. But a nearing-50-year-old secretary -- which accounts for the bitterness! I'd be bitter too!

You're right. You don't nee

re: College Censorship of Plays (Specifically, DOG SEES GOD) -- advice want
 Apr 22 2008, 11:10:19 PM
I can't speak for every playwright, but I can speak for the one in question:

Personally, I can understand an educational facility being a little worried about the content of certain pieces. 'Dog Sees God' has some offensive stuff in it and it's not right for all environments.

I think the real ABOMINATION, however is to change the words of a play... Without the consent of the playwright. But I'm certainly willing to discuss what can be done, Cap'n Hook. (I sent you a PM.) An

re: If there's anything better than going to a good play, it's READING a go
 Feb 20 2008, 07:57:07 PM
I sincerely apologize for being a jerk.

Ray, I really should not have said the things I did. The really sad thing is that the point I was trying to make with 'Dog Sees God' is a message of anti-bullying and, boy, do I look like a hypocrite.

It hurts when people publicly state that they hate something that you poured your heart and soul into, but I guess that we live in an age where we have to get used to it.

Nevertheless, I apologize to everyone on this board.

Feb 19 2008, 02:25:22 PM
Well, "sir," (better than 'dude'?) you keep reading those big boy plays and you'll find yourself in the rich and rewarding career of trashing theatre online. And don't sell yourself short. I'm sure it's not going to take you two years. Why, reading your other comments on various other boards, I'd say you have enough negativity in you to spread your wings and fly right away.

Follow your dreams, little buddy. You are inspiring, thrilling, captivating, and mind-blowing.

Your n

Feb 19 2008, 02:12:52 AM
Hey Ray, don't you think describing something as 'cliche' is just a tiny bit - in fact -CLICHE? But alas, I'm sure you are going to make an amazing theatre critic when you grow up. "Inspiring, thrilling, captivating, and mind-blowing." Here are a few more choice words to add to your vocabulary: "clever," "sophomoric," "intriguing," "trite."

Dude, I'll bet one day the Gainesville theatre community will quake in their boots at the very mention of your name.

Thanks

re: Golden Globes cancelled : (
 Jan 8 2008, 07:56:46 PM
Flying Monkey, should thou be so quick to dismiss writers? Your MySpace page is crammed with SCRIPTED things that you love in and amongst the vainglorious pictures of yourself mugging VERY MUCH ALONE to a camera. (Yup, I had to see if you were for real or just masquerading as an idiot.)

One of these days, God willing, you'll have to fight for something and times will be hard and you'll have to deal with losers like yourself tossing out dismissive epithets. I can only hope you get as

re: Golden Globes cancelled : (
 Jan 8 2008, 12:01:13 PM
Shouldn't writers be well paid? A List actors make tens of millions of dollars for a few weeks work. Why shouldn't us writers? It, nine times out of ten, starts with us anyway. I'm what a lot of people would consider "a successful writer," but I struggle to make ends meet. And it infuriates me to NO END when ignorant people like you, Flying Monkey, come along and belittle what it is we're doing. Is it really any of your business? Do we come to your work and tell YOU what to do? No. So p
re: Broadway.com's Legal CARRIE Video
 Mar 8 2007, 02:39:40 PM
You can download Jon Philip Alman singing "When There's No One" from iTunes. Although they're not the Broadway lyrics, they're the ones from the demos with Maureen McGovern and Barbara Cook - so we don't get that great lyric "I gave you life, I can take it away/Let the shadows descend like a knife." Awwwww, makes me miss my mom...
re: Smile the musical. Does any OBC recording exist?
 Feb 4 2007, 12:58:51 PM
It was Tia Riebling, who does (or at least DID) look an awful lot like Cheri Oteri.

I, too, am going through a huge "Smile" obsession. Just saw the 70's film and I thought it was truly incredible. Seems to have paved the way for suburban exposes like 'American Beauty' and 'Desperate Housewives.' If it had been made today, it would have been an Oscar contender. (At least Jerry Belson's scipt was nominated for a WGA award.)

I have to agree that I think the Broadway score is m

re: Pig Farm at Roundabout
 Jun 27 2006, 12:25:41 PM
This play definitely rewards the patient. I can imagine people who leave at intermission have a really bad taste in their mouths, but the second act uses the first act's setup to be consistently hilarious. I ended up guffawing non-stop for the last half hour.

Stick with it...

-- bert v.

p.s. Margo, I'm moving at the end of July. Let's get together!

re: Favorite Sondheim rhymes?
 May 5 2006, 10:12:58 AM
Here's my three:

When a person's personality is personable,
He shouldn't oughta sit like a lump.
It's harder than a matador coercin' a bull
To try to get you off-a your rump.

- You Could Drive A Person Crazy, Company

The hands on the clock turn,
But don't sing a nocturne
Just yet...

- Night Waltz, A Little Night Music

You'll just leave him a clue.
For example: A shoe.
And then see what he'll do.
Now it's he and not you

re: DOG SEES GOD To Close February 26th
 Feb 24 2006, 12:33:28 PM
Geez Roscoe, if I were as witty as you, perhaps my play would still be open.

Ah well. Better luck next time, right?

Yours truly,
Bert V. Royal
Author

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You