Pig Farm at Roundabout

NYSinger1 Profile Photo
NYSinger1
#0Pig Farm at Roundabout
Posted: 6/10/06 at 11:37am

I saw Pig Farm last night, at Roundabout. It was their first performance. The show was hysterically funny. All four actors was great in their "comic intensity". Katie was even trying to contain herself from cracking up hysterically. The play is almost satire. They are not supposed to laugh at themselves, but some of the scenes are very funny.

There is a lot of physical comedy in the show. Dennis O'hare is a master at it. Katie, and Logan were great at the physical comedy as well.

All in all, a great show.

They have some littel kinks to work out, that was evident. (The faucet broke, I am still not sure if that was part of the show, or if it was an accident.) Their comic timing needs to be a little more crisp.

I would look for great things for this little show.

lamentingenvelope Profile Photo
lamentingenvelope
#1re: Pig Farm at Roundabout
Posted: 6/10/06 at 12:10pm

I'm seeing it in July and very much looking forward to it. It sounds perfect because it's essentially a combination of my three favorite things (satire, physical comedy, and Denis O'Hare. re: Pig Farm at Roundabout )

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#2re: Pig Farm at Roundabout
Posted: 6/10/06 at 12:17pm

I can't wait to see Denis!
Love, him!

secret-soul Profile Photo
secret-soul
#3re: Pig Farm at Roundabout
Posted: 6/10/06 at 12:25pm

yay!!! buy tickets! buy tickets!!!!

212-719-1300

Plince! Plince! Nein! T-Rex!!

lamentingenvelope
#4re: Pig Farm at Roundabout
Posted: 6/10/06 at 12:35pm

I'm buying my tickets right now, actually!

I'm dragging along both my parents and my friend who has absolutely no interest in ANY of my three favorite things... let's see if this will convert her.

QMAN03 Profile Photo
QMAN03
#5re: Pig Farm at Roundabout
Posted: 6/10/06 at 12:44pm

I'm seeing it at the Globe here in San Diego.

aspiringactress Profile Photo
aspiringactress
#6re: Pig Farm at Roundabout
Posted: 6/10/06 at 12:54pm

My brother won two tickets yesterday, and he's taking me.

"We don't value the lily less for not being made of flint and built to last. Life's bounty is in it's flow, later is too late. Where is the song when it's been sung, the dance when it's been danced? It's only we humans who want to own the future too." - Tom Stoppard, Shipwreck

BroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
#7re: Pig Farm at Roundabout
Posted: 6/11/06 at 4:28pm

Humor is subjective. I saw a reading of it in Costa Mesa and walked out at intermission. I'm sure some people will find it roaringly funny.I found its humor to be juvenile and repetitive.

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#8re: Pig Farm at Roundabout
Posted: 6/11/06 at 4:49pm

WOOHOO Urinetown folks! Let this show be a success and bring it to Broadway! We need more of this kind of comedy back on the Great White Way. What an amazing cast. Can't wait to see it.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

NYSinger1 Profile Photo
NYSinger1
#9re: Pig Farm at Roundabout
Posted: 6/11/06 at 5:39pm

I want to comment on BroadwayBaby's post. A lot of the comedy of the show came from physical comedy. I think a lot of the humor would be lost in a "reading" of it. Did they act out a lot of the scenes?

Also, while some of the lines/phrases are repeated. They are repeated almost as David Mamet repeats words for emphasis. The words are very simplistic, but the real humor and depth to the play is in the subtext.

I would have to respectfully disagree. I did not find the humor juvenile at all, I actually found it to be very smart, intelligent, and mature.

April Saul
#10re: Pig Farm at Roundabout
Posted: 6/12/06 at 2:48pm

Yes, yes, yes!
My daughter and I saw the second performance of Pig Farm and laughed our butts off. We even stuck around to thank Denis O'Hare and Logan Marshall-Green, who emerged in between shoes and thank them for giving us so much fun. With respect to the poster who found the humor juvenile, then I must be a pretty sophomoric middle-aged woman because it was just a treat for me. The next day I saw Awake and Sing, and while I admired Odets and the actors, I much preferred the sheer enjoyment of Pig Farm....

Yankeefan007
#11re: Pig Farm at Roundabout
Posted: 6/12/06 at 2:58pm

What's the run time?

pinochlehead
#12re: Pig Farm at Roundabout
Posted: 6/14/06 at 1:46pm

Running time is 2 hours, 15 minutes.
Updated On: 6/27/06 at 01:46 PM

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#13re: Pig Farm at Roundabout
Posted: 6/14/06 at 1:48pm

Is Denis O'Hare actually good this time, or is he just doing the same thing again?

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#14re: Pig Farm at Roundabout
Posted: 6/14/06 at 2:00pm

O'Hare was fantastic is Charity, I'm sure his comedy skills are great in this show.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#15re: Pig Farm at Roundabout
Posted: 6/14/06 at 2:02pm

He was exactly the same in TAKE ME OUT, ASSASSINS, and CHARITY.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

pinochlehead
#16re: Pig Farm at Roundabout
Posted: 6/23/06 at 9:57am

I agree with BroadwayBaby6's take on PIG FARM: juvenile and repetitive. I guess the author means the stilted dialogue to be funny, but it's just cloying! The actors are all great. Denis O'Hare does his usual stuff, which I happen to find funny.

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#17re: Pig Farm at Roundabout
Posted: 6/23/06 at 10:14am

Munk,
I love ya, but don't you say a bad word about Denis!!!!!

MargoChanning
#18re: Pig Farm at Roundabout
Posted: 6/23/06 at 10:38am

Let me be the first to say it -- Pig Farm is slop. I left at intermission (something I haven't done in quite a while, but I felt that the show was a waste of time). This play has no business being produced by a top tier theatre with a first rate cast and design team. Ostensibly a comedy, not only did I not laugh once, I never cracked a smile and spent more time checking my watch to get out of there. Greg Kotis' "play" is a sort of overbaked parody of those sex-charged melodramas which were popular from the 40s to the 60s (I was reminded of Postman Always Rings Twice, Williams' 27 Wagons Full of Cotton and Orpheus Descending, as well as Shepard's recent The God of Hell among others), with its story of the lonely farm wife, the abusive, sexually absent husband and the horny farm hand. There are also a few oblique allusions to the politics of environmental policy which I assume were further developed in Act II. But it's the kind of thing that might be mildly diverting as a 15 minute sketch, but as a full length, two act play it's diffuse, meandering and lacking in substance. And also, it's painfully unfunny, attempting to squeeze cheap laughs from the use of repetitive dialogue -- and Kotis ain't Beckett or Mamet. Stuck with this lousy script, Rando has ratched up his actors performances, which are are highly effected and stylized like they're doing an extended sketch from the Carol Burnett show. Schtick is the order of the day and the ONLY laughs from a bored-looking subscriber audience that I heard were not from any of the dialogue, but from over-the-top stage business, notably from O'Hare. It reminded me of a bad Jerry Lewis movie where Jerry is frantically mugging and making silly faces to the camera to save it.

I don't know. Perhaps I'm too harsh, but if there was a point to this production, I apparently missed it. For me it was a waste of time and the talents of several quite gifted individuals.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#19re: Pig Farm at Roundabout
Posted: 6/23/06 at 10:50am

Yikes. Well, I still can't wait to see Denis. I don't see it till next week. Updated On: 6/23/06 at 10:50 AM

pinochlehead
#20re: Pig Farm at Roundabout
Posted: 6/23/06 at 10:58am

Hey, Margo--
I don't think you're being too harsh. I think you've hit the nail on the head.

lamentingenvelope
#21re: Pig Farm at Roundabout
Posted: 6/23/06 at 12:00pm

Would someone be kind enough to briefly summarize the plot for me? The people I'm taking keep asking me what it's about and the only answer I can give is "I assume it's about pigs." After searching around a little bit the only things I can find are vague references to sex, mud, and staircases.

MargoChanning
#22re: Pig Farm at Roundabout
Posted: 6/23/06 at 12:32pm

After reading this synopsis, I'm SO glad I left at intermission -- and apparently I'm not the only one (the guy that started the thread did too):

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/allthatchat/d.php?id=278025

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

lamentingenvelope
#23re: Pig Farm at Roundabout
Posted: 6/23/06 at 12:44pm

Uhm. What?!

I think I'll stick with "Uhhh. Pigs." the next time my mother asks...

flaemmchen Profile Photo
flaemmchen
#24re: Pig Farm at Roundabout
Posted: 6/23/06 at 3:41pm

Seeing it Wednesday! I'm very excited.

"Peace! The charm's wound up." --Macbeth