News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for sondheim78

Member Name: sondheim78
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Fun Broadway Game---How far can you go?
 Jun 22 2006, 03:25:08 PM
Carolee Carmello
re: Carrie Revival?
 Jun 1 2006, 06:41:57 PM
You may like "In" and "Out for Blood," but they should be cut. They are *awful* songs. You like them for the camp factor, but any workable version of this show is going to lose the camp factor. They would be wise to cut "I'm Not Alone" as well.
re: LaChiusa vs. Sondheim
 Apr 20 2006, 01:26:29 AM
I understand you need two sides in a debate.

"This debate is stupid" is not a side, it's an editorial comment by someone who obviously isn't interested in the debate. That's cool, but why register the complaint. This is just people discussing art...

No one will die if we don't figure out which one is better.

re: Disney Movies That Will Not Be Staged
 Apr 20 2006, 01:19:04 AM
Newsies is not NOW nor will it ever be a "hit."

It's a mediocre movie with a plodding predictable story. Like many of you I love it, but I doubt they'll put it onstage. People like it for the songs, not for its content or entertainment value.

My votes are for:

The Black Hole
Tron
The Apple Dumpling Gang
Escape to Witch Mountain

If we're lucky we will not see musicals of any of these in our or any other lifetime...

Apr 20 2006, 01:13:41 AM
If people do not wish to enter the debate, why must they come here and rain on everyone's parade? If you find the comparison unfair then find another thread...no offense, you are more than welcome, but so many people are such naysayers.

Thanks!!

re: Best Voices from Broadway People That Everyone Has Forgotten Nowadays
 Apr 20 2006, 01:09:45 AM
Dolores Gray
Pamela Myers
Alison Fraser

re: Smoking In Broadway Shows
 Apr 20 2006, 01:02:48 AM
I guess the thing of it is dedication. If an actor is dedicated to their role they'll do what they have to.
 Apr 19 2006, 08:13:34 PM
LaChiusa is more melodically accessible, but his music is much more complex and is sometimes difficult to assimilate.

I love it. I directed a production of Hello Again a few years back, and I think the score to that show is outstanding. One of the best ever written. "Mistress of the Senator" is a wonderful song.

re: Your Favorite Musical Song Where Somebody Dies?
 Apr 19 2006, 07:47:52 PM
"How Glory Goes" from Floyd Collins
re: Next Disney Show
 Apr 19 2006, 07:39:07 PM
"Hopefully, nothing."

Well said. If they have to keep doing this to us, I vote for:

Flight of the Navigator
Tron
Pollyanna
The Parent Trap
Freaky Friday

Those would actually probably be better than the ones they've done so far...

re: Okay guys...get ready...
 Apr 19 2006, 07:33:32 PM
You've got to love Charlotte d'Amboise. She is a trouper, but she's been around for years. She'll work all the time, she always has, but I don't think she'll ever be a "star." Broadway economics don't permit the sustenance for anyone to be a "Broadway star" anymore. Certainly not in the same way Mary Martin, Ethel Merman, John Raitt, Alfred Drake, Julie Andrews, Judy Holiday, Chita Rivera, etc. were stars.

A show like "A Dancer's Life" about D'Amboise would be a terrible flop, I'm a

re: Most Complicated Song
 Apr 19 2006, 07:28:39 PM
"Someone in a Tree" from Pacific Overtures.

That song covers the pivotal moments of the story. Everything changes after the signing of the treaty, and Weidman and Sondheim were brilliant. Because they don't know what happened they cover the event with the boy in the tree, the boy as an old man, and the samurai under the floor and piece it together through memory.

The text is complex, the interactions between the three narrators are structured wonderfully. The "he was only te

re: Talk about anything except Wicked
 Apr 19 2006, 07:23:45 PM
But so much of Pacific Overtures is so smart. Particularly the way it pits Eastern Theatre and Occidental traditions against each other. That is amazing to me.

"Someone in a Tree" is Sondheim's most successfully realized, and I think best, song.

re: Talk about anything except Wicked
 Apr 19 2006, 07:06:29 PM
Yes, I did. I broke the rule.

I LOVE Pacific Overtures. Sondheim's best show I think. I have not yet seen Awake and Sing. Very excited though...my tickets aren't for a couple of weeks.

Talk about anything except Wicked
 Apr 19 2006, 07:03:49 PM
I have decided that there should be a thread where no talk of Wicked can happen. I have nothing against Wicked, I actually enjoyed it when I saw it and I listen to the original cast recording a lot too. I just am tired of being discussing its inherent quality. For all of you who are tired of it too...I give you this gift. Enjoy!
 Apr 19 2006, 07:00:27 PM
DG/Sum:

I said SIMILAR integrity. Not saying anyone else doesn't have it, but the things that are integral to the work of LaChiusa and Sondheim is not the same thing which is integral to the work of Stephen Schwartz, Alan Menken, Elton John, Billy Joel, ABBA, or anyone else who is currently writing commercial hit shows today.

There is nothing wrong with writing to sell tickets. LaChiusa and Sondheim don't do that.

Matt:

Carolee and Donna Murphy tie I think.

re: Carrie
 Apr 19 2006, 06:48:30 PM
"I agree...i think they should have acted out Out For blood more or even with the song being so long and the meaningless ballet dance break they could've transistioned into something else."

No...it was perfect the way it was. If "Carrie" worked it would be unremarkable. Mediocre.

The way it was was the only way it should be. A bad idea, remembered, but best forgotten.

re: Your Dream Cast(s)
 Apr 19 2006, 06:40:29 PM
A Little Night Music
Desiree Armfeldt - Bernadette Peters
Fredrik - Rupert Everett
Carl Magnus - Brian Stokes Mitchell
Charlotte - Judy Kuhn
Anne - Anne Hathaway
Mdme. Armfeldt - Judi Dench
Henrik - Elijah Wood
Petra - Tammy Blanchard

Apr 19 2006, 06:16:42 PM
But Jennifer Holiday looks fabulous after her gastric bypass surgery.
re: Carrie
 Apr 19 2006, 06:13:34 PM
"I'll agree with frenetic, but "textured"? As in a Laker Girls half-time show where they do they same move, but on different beats sort of way?"

I said textured. I never said it wasn't tacky.

Personally, "Out for Blood" is my favorite part. It's such a schlocky D-Level Vegas show. Particularly when Billy smears himself with the blood of the pigs, and Charlotte d'Amboise is wearing that terrible red sequined majorette costume! I've never seen truer Theatre (with a capital

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You