News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for fairygodmother

fairygodmother Profile Photo
Member Name: fairygodmother
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Riedel: Douglas Carter Beane is SISTER ACT'S new bookwriter!
 Oct 8 2010, 06:18:32 AM
Is this what Riedel's writing is usually like? Woah he's harsh! Ps note he never says that he himself saw the show...
re: Musicals with very small cast
 Oct 25 2009, 05:18:08 PM
Forever Plaid
Five Guys Named Moe - although you need 6 for that
Ain't Misbehavin'
all the Sondheim revues, plus revues like Tomfoolery and Finn's Make Me a Song, And the World Goes Round etc
Starting Here, Starting Now and Closer than Ever
The Story of My Life
I Do! I Do!
Fantasticks (with a little doubling)
Edges
Shout!
Tick Tick..Boom

re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
 Sep 30 2009, 08:24:18 PM
That's not going to happen - Alan Menken said he would only write the score for Sister Act if it was a fully original score by him. Plus Motown were keeping hold of the rights for themselves too. But trust me, they've not just forgotten that people like the original songs - they've gone in a whole new direction.
re: SISTER ACT - The ANTI- First Wives Club
 Jul 31 2009, 07:11:25 AM
People keep bring ing up the original high note ending for Life I Never Led. Don't assume that its not in there because Katie Rowley Jones couldn't sing it - as you can hear from the reprise, she can. Its a much more fitting end for the original version of the song - to keep it feeling unresolved, because the character is unresolved - saving the larger ending for when she gets her moment of strength, which makes it much more powerful.
re: Shows with raps
 Jul 27 2009, 01:17:35 PM
Mary Laz does one or two in Sister Act!

I saw the incredible Q brothers do their Edinburgh show last year - Funk it Up About Nothin'. They've also done "bombitty of errors" - both were full rap shows, outstanding

re: 'Sister Act- The Musical' -London Palladium
 Jul 27 2009, 07:57:49 AM
Claire's ill, but Julia's off for a weeks holiday.
re: SISTER ACT- what changes should be made between London and Broadway
 Jul 27 2009, 06:42:00 AM
BobbyBubby - that's pretty harsh and sweeping about the london supporting cast - I think the majority are fantastic. Care to quantify? Plus who's to say that a Broadway cast would be superior?
re: SISTER ACT- what changes should be made between London and Broadway
 Jul 25 2009, 06:53:04 AM
and actually, the sales have gone right up - the last two weeks have been almost full. It dipped during the heatwave, but I'm sure every show did.
re: Pulver, Berresse, Hoff, Collver And More Join Knight in CTG's 'PARADE',
 Jun 30 2009, 07:52:57 AM
So has anyone heard Knight sing? Is he any good? Bertie Carvel
was quite spectacular at the Donmar...

re: Sister Act the Musical CAST album
 Mar 9 2009, 07:07:57 PM
oops! should have done my research! That'll teach me for replying without thinking it all through, you guys are waaay too thorough for me!
re: Sister Act the Musical CAST album
 Mar 9 2009, 06:00:21 PM
I don't think it will be live - that's more for the rock-based shows.
re: SISTER ACT: THE MUSICAL video diaries...
 Feb 19 2009, 05:25:42 AM
Yep, Mary Pat is the Kathy Najimy part and is played by Claire Greenway, who's making her West End debut. Katie Rowley Jones is younger than Beth Malone, and is heartbreaking, with a great voice.
Peter Schneider is still directing.
The only person from the original cast is Patina Miller, who was understudy Deloris originally. You couldn't have too many if the originals due to equity rules - plus its the UK premier, so its good to have UK actors!

re: SISTER ACT: THE MUSICAL video diaries...
 Feb 18 2009, 07:14:40 AM
thanks for those clips, phantom!
the finale is now a new song, and the others are a bit different, but its a good way for people to preview the style!

re: musicals where there is no romance plot
 Jan 13 2009, 06:54:06 AM
In Spelling Bee the little crush between Barf and Olive is too cute - I suppose that's as romantic as you can get with kids that age!

I was going to say Five Guys Named Moe - do you consider the plot being centred around a guy who's heartbroken and pleading for his girl to return a romantic plot?

and how about Bring in Da Noise? or are we staying away from things like that? Like Stomp etc

re: How old were you when you discovered Sondheim?
 Jan 13 2009, 06:49:19 AM
When I was 13/14 my mum literally shut me in my room to watch the BBC taping of the Donmar Warehouse's Company.
I came down the next morning a total convert.
She did the same with Rocky Horror when I was about 11 - I have a great mum!

re: Do you think Lin Manuel is a one hit wonder . . . ?
 Jan 13 2009, 06:43:45 AM
The problem is with someone who has such a distinctive 'voice' is that anything other than a complete switch of styles will be accused of being 'same old, same old'. And does he have to get rid of his distinctive style to be a credible composer? That's a genuine question, by the way - what do you think? Do you think that the only way a composer can be successful in the long term is to be a musical chameleon?
re: If they made these shows into movies...
 Jan 12 2009, 03:42:21 PM
The thing is - when a musical comes out in movie form, I only get excited if the people in it can reeeeally sing - and I mean in an appropriate fashion for the role/show they've been cast in. For instance, Zooey Deschanel is outstanding, love her as an actress, but for MT casting, she's not shown that side of her voice. From what I've heard, she'd be a good Squeaky Fromme in Assassins.
I love the idea of an Apatow Spelling Bee - I'd want it to involve Dan Fogler (now that he's a 'movie star'

re: The Underrated Thread
 Dec 29 2008, 06:13:12 AM
Yes yes yes to Batboy! One of the only cast recordings that made me repeatedly laugh out loud before I'd seen it on stage - Spamalot being another. This was killed by a terrible venue in the West End, which made me very sad - plus bad direction imho. But the show is great - apart from Children, Children, which made me want to claw my ears out...
re: Whoopi confirms 'Sister Act: The Musical'
 Dec 18 2008, 06:10:02 AM
Its mostly cast - they're on the verge of finishing, with a 'name' for Mother Superior if all goes well! There's going to be a workshop in January so the cast should be done by then!!!
re: HAIR casting
 Dec 4 2008, 07:07:08 PM
Its not Dreamgirls that Patina's going into, but whatever the announcement will be, she obviously feels it's worth it!
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You