ljay889
#2re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 9/30/09 at 2:27pm

Wow. They ARE desperate!

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#2re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 9/30/09 at 2:28pm

So I assume this will be in the finale after the bows and actually won't replace anything.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#3re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 9/30/09 at 2:28pm

And the point of adding the song is.....? It's been running for a year. It's not like once people hear it's in the show they'll run to get tickets...so weird.

#4re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 9/30/09 at 2:31pm

It's already the exit music. Don't see why it's added to the show.

Parks
#5re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 9/30/09 at 2:35pm

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA

BwayBuff2 Profile Photo
BwayBuff2
James885 Profile Photo
James885
#7re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 9/30/09 at 2:52pm

I love how the article says "due to popular demand". I can't believe there were that many people clamoring to have I'm a Believer inserted into the show. They're probably just adding it in cause it was featured in the movie.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible
Updated On: 9/30/09 at 02:52 PM

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#9re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 9/30/09 at 2:59pm

I'm going on Friday and I will let you guys know how it was and where they put it in the end.

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#10re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 9/30/09 at 3:44pm

I was a little sad it wouldn't be in the show when I saw it...I guess...I didn't put too much thought into it.

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#11re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 9/30/09 at 3:47pm

Will they add Rufus Wainwright's version of Hallelujah at some point too?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#12re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 9/30/09 at 5:17pm

Closing announcement will happen........now?

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

legally_popular Profile Photo
legally_popular
#13re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 9/30/09 at 5:24pm

Wow, what are they thinking? That people will run to see it now and anyone who was disappointed the song wasn't in the show will go back?

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#14re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 9/30/09 at 5:27pm

Maybe they just are worried tour audiences will be upset...and decided to add it into broadway too while at it.

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#15re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 9/30/09 at 5:30pm

For the love god, please let this just be a curtain call song!!

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#16re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 9/30/09 at 5:34pm

Ah yes...THAT'S what this show has been missing!

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#17re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 9/30/09 at 6:07pm

Can they add a rendition of the "Shrek in the Swamp Karaoke Dance Party" as well?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTanFzwZJNM

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#18re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 9/30/09 at 6:27pm

They can probably find a way to shoehorn in "Holding Out for a Hero", right? That was the best part of Shrek 2.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#19re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 9/30/09 at 6:59pm

The film's use of "I'm A Believer" is the best example recently of what I call "Sister Act Syndrome-" when a film that isn't a musical turns into a musical, but only briefly.

I was surprised from the start that they didn't put it in as a curtain call song, not surprised when it became exit music, and now it's in the show proper. I don't mind it much- it doesn't detract from the rest of the score. I wish Sister Act: The Musical would get this inspiration and put the actually-famous musical numbers into the score for its stage version.

(And no, Hallelujah was a song to underscore, not a full-blown musical number like I'm A Believer was.)

BDrischBDemented
#20re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 9/30/09 at 8:23pm

Actually, John Cale's rendition of "Hallelujah" was used in the movie. Rufus's was on the soundtrack for some reason.

Personally, I'm waiting for "All Star" to replace "Big Bright Beautiful World".

"Your lyrics lack subtlety! You can't just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!"

fairygodmother Profile Photo
fairygodmother
#21re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 9/30/09 at 8:24pm

That's not going to happen - Alan Menken said he would only write the score for Sister Act if it was a fully original score by him. Plus Motown were keeping hold of the rights for themselves too. But trust me, they've not just forgotten that people like the original songs - they've gone in a whole new direction.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#22re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 9/30/09 at 8:32pm

Fairygodmother beat me to it. As far as Sister Act is concerned, it wasn't so much that the creative team refused to use any of the songs featured in the movie. It was more of the fact that they A decided to go in a new direction and from what I understand, that decision was made in part because Motown didn't let them have the rights to the songs that they used in the movie.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#23re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 9/30/09 at 8:36pm

Which is funny - exploiting a franchise by not using what made it successful in the first place. Not to say the score for the musical doesn't work, but business wise it seems extremely risky and pointless.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

delucad15 Profile Photo
delucad15
#24re: SHREK THE MUSICAL Adds 'I'm a Believer' to the Broadway Production
Posted: 9/30/09 at 8:38pm

yeah I'm interested to see where it exactly is put and how the arrangement is

Videos