News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Gingersnap2

Gingersnap2 Profile Photo
Member Name: Gingersnap2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Web Site: http://www.hugh-panaro.net
Blog Address:

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Worst National Tour  Aug 30 2017, 02:46:18 PM

Non-Equity tour of AIDA back in late 2006.  One unimaginably dull set, cheap costumes, almost no costume changes except Amneris, weak staging (some dance numbers were O.K.).  Cast was obviously trying so hard.  They looked relieved to be done at curtain call.

Despite that, the future Congressman sitting behind me was sobbing at the end of each act. 

What are the worst musicals you ever saw  Jun 5 2016, 03:48:35 PM

The pre-Broadway production of "Raggedy Ann" at the Empire State Institute For The Performing Arts.

It was atrocious. 

How did you interest in musical theater start?  Apr 26 2016, 07:32:06 PM

When I was still a toddler, I was fascinated by a lot of programs on PBS (operas, etc.) and the annual broadcast of "The Sound of Music" on network TV. 

By the time I was in grade school, I saw the touring productions of "Annie" and "Peter Pan" when they played locally (ca. 1980-1).  As I got older, I just kept going to national tours of musicals whenever possible ("Brigadoon," "Camelot," "Les Miserables," etc.) alon

The HAMILTOME  Apr 13 2016, 06:30:10 PM

I noticed all copies in my local Barnes & Noble were bowed.  In one or two of them, the bowing was very slight, but most it was noticeable even from a distance.  I'll see what my Amazon copy is like tomorrow (assuming the delivery is on time).

1986 Documentary about Andrew Lloyd Webber  Mar 9 2016, 04:25:28 PM

I remember this airing on the local PBS station not long after Phantom opened on Broadway.  I don't think I watched the entire thing at the time as I taped it and the quality of the tape turned out awful.

I didn't realize it was on-line, but I look forward to checking it out later.

Divine Daaes: Who was your favorite Christine?  Sep 4 2015, 08:14:06 AM

Ten years ago this month, I saw swing Kris Koop in the role.  I'd just seen her as Carlotta about a week earlier and wasn't sure how I'd like her as Christine.  She was wonderful - gorgeous voice, passionate acting, and excellent chemistry with the rest of the cast. 

I've seen a lot of Christines (Julie Hanson, Sara Jean Ford, and Trista Moldovan are all favorites), but Kris Koop's performance that night remains the best I've seen so far.

Hugh Panaro's contract with Phantom  Nov 15 2013, 11:30:55 AM
He left from April to late August of this year (during which time Peter Joback took over the role).
Hugh Panaro's contract with Phantom  Nov 15 2013, 08:00:46 AM
His current contract runs through early March. It'll be a while before there's any news on renewals.
Congrats to Howard McGillin  Sep 30 2013, 05:57:26 PM
Your friend is correct, Dollypop. I remember seeing Howard's son with him after 2006record-breaking performance of "The Phantom of The Opera." I'm awful at guessing ages, but he looked to be about seventeen or eighteen at the time.
re: Hugh Panaro: Really?  Jul 11 2013, 03:26:36 PM
Hugh signed with Sony about eight years ago. He did some tracks, but there were a lot of issues. A major one (but certainly not the only one) was that they decided there would be NO Broadway songs on the album. The original plan was for a mix of some Broadway, some classical, some contemporary, etc..

Personally, I loved the idea of a variety of style and the idea of not including any Broadway songs at all was a bit ridiculous.

He parted ways with Sony in 2007. At the time,

The Majestic Theatre seating  May 12 2013, 09:59:16 AM
They're not bad. You lose a bit of the actors' facial expressions, but you have a full view of the stage. I've sat there more than once and had no problems. It's not like the balconies at the Palace in terms of being TOO high or distant.
Publicity photography with replacements: a question  Mar 7 2013, 07:30:02 PM
In this particular case, the Phantom photos were indeed shot during a live performance by two photographers (Joan Marcus and Kyle Froman).
Colm Wilkinson and the  Jan 20 2013, 07:16:20 PM
On the subject of Colm keeping his beard for the role, I've always wanted Valjean to have a beard at the beginning when he's newly paroled, but clean-shaven for the rest of the show (and I remember hoping Walnut Street would do it that way back a few years ago).

But it's probably just because I really love the Jean Geoffrey illustration of Valjean meeting young Cosette with the bucket.

Despite that, I actually found it mildly jarring to see Valjean without a beard in the mo

Phantom of the opera behind the music  May 6 2011, 08:18:22 PM
The title was "Behind The Mask," (not "Behind The Music")

I saw it when it first aired on Ovation and, as someone who loves the musical, I enjoyed it. It's more in-depth than the documentary included on some editions of DVD of the 2004 movie.

Robert Guillaume (Benson) as The Phantom?  Apr 14 2011, 08:31:30 AM
I saw Robert Guillaume perform "The Music of The Night" in full costume on television at some point...during some sort of gala concert on PBS. I don't recall the exact year or what the gala was for, though I used to have a VHS tape of it.

At the time, I have to admit I didn't really know who Robert Guillaume was and, while I liked Michael Crawford a lot from the original recording, I wasn't really making comparisons. As long as it was Phantom, it was all good to me. But I just didn'

Legs Diamond  Apr 14 2011, 08:19:02 AM
As cheesy and bad as it must have been, I've always been pretty curious about it. I grew up in the same neighborhood where the real Legs Diamond was killed and that connection would've been reason enough for me to see it.
Sending playbill to theatre for signing question  Jan 31 2011, 02:27:38 PM
You can just address it to Hugh c/o the theatre.
Sending playbill to theatre for signing question  Jan 31 2011, 12:40:21 PM
He will sign it, but I know from experience that he's pretty slow with mail at times.

He also might be a little slower than usual with a week off from Phantom in early February.

All That Chat board down  Jan 19 2011, 08:15:28 AM
For some reason, I was never actually able to post at ATC. I originally registered a few years ago and, for some reason, I was never able to post. A couple of years later, I registered again with a different e-mail address because I'd lost my original account information. Again, I wasn't able to post.

Anyhow, I have this rather vivid memory of seeing a well-dressed older man approach an actor after a concert. He started into this long speech about how he'd been banned from ATC. He

Phantom no Sunday shows? And what else to see in NYC?  Jan 4 2011, 07:22:36 PM
"Since when does Phantom have no Sunday shows? I just went to Phantom this past Sunday (Jan 2)!"

2, that's because they were on a holiday schedule which included the extra Sunday performances. Otherwise, on the regular schedule, they are dark on Sundays.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You