News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for HaroldInNY

Member Name: HaroldInNY
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
 Mar 9 2023, 01:38:56 AM

I saw this tonight, and you'll have to count me in with the people that liked the show.  Is it absolutely great theater?  Nope.  But it was a fun night out -- and was just plain enjoyable.

A quick rundown:   I'd vote Linedy Genao as Cinderella as just OK, Julio Rey as Prince Sebastian as very good, Carolee Carmello as the stepmother as OK but a bit too much, and Grace McLean as the queen as good.  I liked the tunes, and thought that the lyrics work

A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
 Dec 27 2022, 02:07:09 AM

I had read this thread a while ago, and based on it, I was prepared to skip this show.  On a whim, I decided to see it tonight... and I loved it!

Interestingly, there seems to be a pretty sharp divide in perceptions about the show.  Perhaps its the age group, perhaps familiarity with the material... I have no way to know.  But I thought the cast was uniformly very good, the choreography worked well for the material, and the writing, staging, and direction were all to

TOOTSIE the Musical: PREVIEWS START
 Apr 5 2019, 12:12:44 PM

Since there seems to be majorly diverging views on this show, I wanted to add a strong "pro" opinion.  We saw it last night, and we liked it a LOT.  I've read the complaints about the score, about the book, about the actors.... and none of that matches our experience and reactions.  We seriously liked the music (but thought that the lyrics were a bit iffy sometimes), thought the book was good to great (there were excellent one-liners all over, and there was a sequ

Waitress Digital Booklet
 Jun 20 2016, 03:04:36 PM

There was a thread on this here a while ago.  Apparently, generally speaking, only very specialized "record labels" do cast recordings these days, and those record labels generally use an intermediary company that prepares the digital files in the way that is required by Amazon and/or iTunes.  Depending on the particular company and their relationship with the service team on Amazon and/or iTunes, this can result in there not being a digital version of the CD booklet. 

KING CHARLES discount code?
 Oct 16 2015, 10:09:06 AM

KCDMX710

Tickets for previews in the orchestra are almost gone....

American In Paris or Something Rotten
 Jun 21 2015, 02:04:24 PM

Rotten, hands-down.  The second act is a bit of letdown after the first act, but outside of that, it's fun and happy and great.

An American In Paris?  Well, if you like Yet Another Version of Gershwin music mated with overrated dancing that is very balletic and very boring...

Picking A Nit With Amazon
 Jun 19 2015, 01:14:28 PM

I got a response from one of the record labels that has been doing a simply wonderful job of producing original cast albums lately, but has not been including a digitized version of their CD booklet on Amazon.  In it, they clearly indicate that the problem lies with Amazon... that they WANT to have the booklets made available to their customers, and that the booklets indeed are generally available on iTunes.  Apparently, they use a third-party company to supply Amazon with their MP3

Fun Home Seating Question
 Jun 18 2015, 09:17:32 PM

"My recollection is that the Telephone Wire bench rises from the very center of the stage and is slightly elevated. It rotates during the song, so it faces every section pretty much equally."

I saw Fun Home last night, and that is exactly how it works.

Jun 18 2015, 09:13:26 PM

I fired off a letter to Amazon... we'll see if it accomplishes anything.

Jun 18 2015, 12:41:34 AM

" I directly emailed one of the labels about not being able to get a download of the booklet and they responded:

The company that submits our discs to the various digital sites allows us
to include a digital booklet at iTunes, but not at Amazon mp3.  I don't
understand all the reasons, but I gather it's part of THEIR deal with
Amazon mp3, and there's nothing, sadly, I can do about it.

Jun 17 2015, 01:17:42 PM

<nods>  I just fired off a quick letter to PS Classics after noticing that not a single one of their Original Cast albums had a digitized CD booklet available on Amazon.

Let's see how they respond.

Jun 17 2015, 11:05:10 AM

I've never had any problem with Amazon customer service; I think their service is quite exemplary.

Which, actually, is why I find this lack of CD booklets to be so annoying...

I looked at a selection of Broadway show albums currently available on Amazon, and it seems that there are certain labels whose albums seem to never include the booklets (PS Classics comes to mind), and other labels who usually (but not always) include it. 

Jun 17 2015, 01:28:12 AM

For some shows, I actually go through the effort of ordering the physical CD (for most CD's, Amazon obligingly also sends the MP3 files if you buy the CD) and scanning the booklet into a PDF.  It seems pretty dumb to have to do this in 2015, especially when the "booklet" is almost a book (eg, On the Twentieth Century).

Oddly, for Fun Home, Amazon does NOT include the MP3 files if you buy the CD, and it also does NOT include a digitized booklet if you buy the

Jun 17 2015, 01:16:37 AM

I routinely buy original cast recordings for the Broadway shows I see.  I mostly buy them from Amazon, and I prefer buying the MP3 version.

A while ago, Amazon announced that it was going to include a digitized version of the CD booklet (which for most Broadway shows contains a synopsis of the show and the song lyrics) with the MP3 song files.  They do indeed do so for many albums, but it is a hit-and-miss affair, and it is difficult to predict whether a

FINDING NEVERLAND OBC recording
 Jun 16 2015, 01:41:42 AM

It seems like I am distinctly in the minority here, but I really liked the pop-song album of Finding Neverland.  I'd still love the OBC recording, but meanwhile, I am enjoying the pop "interpretations".

On The Town Discount Codes
 Jun 11 2015, 01:49:27 AM

Thanks for your help... I saw the show and loved it.

And for what it's worth, I enjoyed it a lot more than An American In Paris.

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/31/15
 Jun 11 2015, 01:37:52 AM

<< "Truth be told, enjoyed OTT a hell of a lot more than AAIP" >>

So did I!  I liked On The Town a LOT better!

For what it's worth, I thought On the Town "fit" into the Lyric Theater quite nicely, and I certainly didn't at all mind the wide aisles and that fact that you can actually cross your legs when seated.  On the other hand, the Lyric certainly does have lots of seats for a show to fill

Jun 2 2015, 02:30:39 PM

loliveve... LOL, no, in general, I'll settle for side orchestra.

Thanks for the additional site... I checked newyork.com -- they don't give you a choice of seats, and are more expensive than the standard "discount price", so it doesn't seem like it pays.

As to TodayTix, I figured that I'd go for it and install it.  Then I discovered that it also doesn't show you your ticket locations, and the app on Android wanted permission on my phone to deal with device and app h

Jun 2 2015, 11:58:24 AM

Thanks... I was thinking of doing TKTS for it...

Jun 2 2015, 11:26:24 AM

Thanks, loliveve.  I tried those, with the exception of TodayTix (I'm looking for orchestra seats), but no joy.

I guess each producer figures out their own way to manage things... I'm guessing that the strategy behind On The Town's marketing will just remain a mystery to me.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You