News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for snarkmachine

Member Name: snarkmachine
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
 Dec 7 2022, 08:34:11 AM

PipingHotPiccolo said: "bwayphreak234 said: "Here is Lea Michele performing "I'm the Greatest Star" on Late Night with Seth Meyers. Needless to say, she's sensational...

link
"

I know I'm in the minority here, but

while quite obviously Lea Michele's vocals are beyond reproach, i think its worth reiterating that Beanie nailed, really nailed, the charm/humor of the book scenes, not to mention the physical comedy. lea doesnt come close in this regard.

i know, i know. people clearly want to hear the score sung as beanie clearly could not, and im not taking away from lea's obvious talent in this regard. but those few jokey lines at the top of this number remind why i enjoyed my beanie experience.
"

Are you seriously comparing a performance on a talk show to an actual in-show number lol...the performance has obviously been modulated for general audiences

Dear Evan Hansen OFFICIALLY opening on Broadway
 May 27 2016, 12:43:43 PM

You think one of the biggest producers/heavy-hitters on Broadway can't pull a few strings and get his kid cast in something?

Not that it really matters - like I said, Ben is legitimately talented and would probably still be where he is now if his dad was the night manager at Chipotle.

(The other Platt son in Wicked is another story entirely, but that's for another thread)

Dear Evan Hansen OFFICIALLY opening on Broadway
 May 27 2016, 12:17:41 PM

Super excited to see this.

I remember seeing Platt in Book of Mormon and being blown away. I thought he was just a nepotism hire, but kid's got some serious talent on him.

OLIVER! Film Reboot Thread
 Jul 28 2015, 05:51:40 PM

Totally disagree re WSS. It is a classic and no way can you improve on a classic

Well, a reboot would probably cast actual Puerto Ricans instead of white people with tans for one.

Fun Home extends through June 2016
 Jul 28 2015, 04:27:23 PM

Another couple of months and Sydney Lucas is going to be taller than Emily Skeggs. Kid is growing like an inch a day it seems.

OLIVER! Film Reboot Thread
 Jul 27 2015, 05:14:16 PM

I wouldn't hate a West Side Story reboot. A lot of it hasn't aged very gracefully, not least of all the lead performances from Natalie Wood and whatshisface. A more filmic version with better cinematography/locations instead of looking like it was filmed on a Paramount backlot would be nice too.

How long will the current shows run for?
 Jul 26 2015, 02:33:25 PM

I think Les Mis could be gone by spring so Miss Saigon makes the cut-off for Best Revival at the 2016 Tonys.

Theater Talk: 2015 Ultimate Broadway Critics Panel
 Jun 21 2015, 05:17:12 PM

Has Fred Armisen played Brantley on SNL before, because he should.

Sydney Lucas was robbed of a Tony
 Jun 14 2015, 08:54:12 PM

Sydney did a performance for the NY Times too and it's probably even better than the one she gave at the Tonys, if just because she seemed more nervous at the latter and was rushing some lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXcm7qIWyvc

Jun 14 2015, 03:59:12 PM

""if she doesn't fall into the same traps Daisy Eagan did"
I believe Eagan said her career stopped because her mother died right after she won the Tony. 
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/i-dont-know-personally-that-i-would-wish-it-on-a-kid-youngest-female-tony-winner-reflects-349289/print"

Thanks for the link. I remember reading once all the attention and pressure got to her and she had some sort of breakdown or something.

Jun 14 2015, 03:05:02 PM

I haven't seen the King and I yet but Ruthie's performance is anything but tepid in the NY Times video. The featured actress category was full of deserving winners and Sydney will have plenty of time to win one (if she doesn't fall into the same traps Daisy Eagan did). She got her own solo on a primetime Tonys telecast anyway which I'd almost argue is as valuable as a win considering how fantastically she performed that song.

School of Rock, pre-Broadway showcases
 Jun 13 2015, 12:12:14 PM

Alex Brightman is already getting on my nerves in a five minute preview.

The kids are undoubtedly talented musicians but none of them can act unfortunately.

What will be remembered from this season?
 Jun 13 2015, 01:36:14 AM

"I know Fun Home will be remembered, but what worries me is that Sydney Lucas is going to fall into the obscurity that has swallowed all the other child actors I can think of. At least in recent memory that's been true - the Billys, Matildas, etc.
 "

I liked the Billys and Matildas just fine but I'm not sure I ever thought any of them were especially remarkable. I remember thinking Oona Laurence had star quality awhile back (even i

What will be remembered from this season?
 Jun 12 2015, 03:04:56 PM

I already rue the loss of Sydney Lucas to Hollywood. She's probably getting chased down to do terrible sitcoms and forgettable Sundance indies as we speak.

Matilda OBC digital download?
 Sep 26 2013, 02:11:24 PM
The only one I like better on the London recording is the reprise of When I Grow Up. The Broadway version sounds too crowded and I like the extra orchestration they do in the middle.
 Sep 26 2013, 11:27:35 AM
Is it just me or is the whole score just slightly quicker too? The London recording really does seem flat in comparison.
 Sep 26 2013, 01:12:39 AM
The orchestrations on the Broadway version are a million times better. I always thought the London recording sounded somewhat sparse and lacking.

'Naughty' with all four girls was a treat too.

The 4 Matildas
 Aug 23 2013, 12:05:22 AM
I've seen all four and I think they're all very good in their own way. It's quite remarkable how the entire energy of the show seems to shift and flux depending on who's in the lead - all of them have their own take on the character that changes the entire tone of the show and makes it completely different to watch each time.

1) Oona - My personal favorite. Probably the least impressive vocals of all four (she could be very pitchy and hard to understand) but she is a brilliant, brillia

Last Five Years Film Adaption
 Jun 22 2013, 03:30:25 AM
Eh, one of the best parts of TL5Y to me was that they only shared one scene together. It made their final break up way more poignant and affecting
Adam Pascal sounds off on the haters!
 Jun 5 2013, 08:33:49 PM
What a crybaby. People were pissed they paid $100+ to see someone mess up a song. Deal with it, move on and don't let it happen again.

Criticism =/= bullying

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You