News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for BrerBear

BrerBear Profile Photo
Member Name: BrerBear
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Fun Home Tour  Feb 10 2017, 04:13:15 PM

Finally got to see this last night, and it was fantastic. A great reflection of the Broadway staging, and some scenes even played out better, like the house reveal near the end.

The entire cast did a great job, but I have to agree that Abby Coirrigan as Medium Alison really stood out. Keep an eye on her.

Make sure to catch this if you're in the Bay Area!

Hamilton at the Grammy Awards  Feb 15 2016, 09:39:13 PM

Been trying so hard to get into this show, but that did absolutely nothing for me.

Most Overrated Tony Award Winning Best Musical  Sep 29 2015, 11:51:56 AM

Kinky Boots and Rent

Kathy Griffin to play the Mark Taper Forum  Aug 13 2015, 07:20:03 PM

Only on BroadwayWorld can one jump into a thread about a comedienne's upcoming show and walk right into a Hitler scat discussion.

Prove me wrong.

Struggling  Aug 10 2015, 05:06:32 PM

""As for FH, that's  for others to weigh in, I've had no interest to see it (and no regrets)!" 
I will never understand this kind of thinking.  Are you homophobic or are you bothered by the subject of suicide so much that you can't see it?

It's because ebontoyan has to get their card stamped at least 10 times for telling us that they have no interest in seeing Fun Home, in order to redeem it for a free

Matilda Tour?  Aug 1 2015, 10:24:15 AM

Not yet, but I should check that out. Husband has been a big Amelie fan, so thanks for the heads-up.

Matilda Tour?  Jul 31 2015, 07:53:29 PM

Caught the show in SF last night. I think broadwaysfguy's comments pretty much nailed it.

My husband and I did enjoy the show, but it is definitely lacking in comparison to the Broadway version which we saw with the original cast. Gabby was a fine Matilda, on par with Sophia Genussa. Justin Packard was playing Trunchbull, and while he did a fine job he did not have the menace that Carvel brought to the role. Jennifer Blood as Miss Honey was the standout for me, th

Kinky Boots maybe has a year left?  Jun 23 2015, 02:23:10 PM

"Kinky Boots also has a relatively small running cost in the $600k range compared to Matilda which is in the $800-900k range. "

Source? Hard to believe Matilda would have recouped already if its costs were that high. That would also mean Matilda is barely profitable.

Edit: Found the NYT article about Matilda's production suggesting its weekly cost is estimated at $600k. Which is undoubtedly higher than Kinky, but certainly not $300k higher.

Kinky Boots maybe has a year left?  Jun 22 2015, 08:31:25 PM

Interesting that Matilda is now regularly besting Kinky Boots in grosses. Maybe summer crowds and kids out of school influence that, but it seems to be increasing.

Fun Home Seating Question  Jun 17 2015, 09:37:50 PM

My recollection is that the Telephone Wire bench rises from the very center of the stage and is slightly elevated. It rotates during the song, so it faces every section pretty much equally.

2015 Tonys Available on iTunes?  Jun 11 2015, 08:07:18 PM

When you buy it on iTunes, you get one 2 hour 15 minute track with the entire show (awards, numbers, etc.) and 13 other tracks which are just the musical numbers.

It's the same as the telecast, sans commercials. No technical awards.

Here's an iTunes link where you can see the listings.

American In Paris Didn't Win  Jun 8 2015, 10:42:13 PM

It must have just burned your poor soul to watch 5 minutes of musical performance last night that didn't involve people flailing about onstage and singing bad puns.

lol

2015 Tony complaints  Jun 8 2015, 09:53:44 AM

Was expecting to be amazed by the Something Rotten! number, but was completely turned off by it. Boring music, obvious lyrics, and riffs from old shows just randomly inserted. Cannot believe this is something people give a mid-show ovation to.

WHAT WILL BE THE BIGGEST UPSET ON SUNDAY?  Jun 5 2015, 07:09:16 PM

Steven Boyer, I hope

Stupid Tonys  Jun 4 2015, 01:57:16 PM

The supposed "betrayal" by Avenue Q is all the more reason not to vote awards based on tour-appeal.

The very idea of it is shameful and taints the awards. If the award is supposed to be for "Best Profit Potential", they should just call it that.

Worst Hits You Ever Saw  Jun 2 2015, 04:45:19 PM

Kinky Boots

Lion King after the intro

Nominate Your Own Best 4 Musicals  Jun 2 2015, 04:42:20 PM

Fun Home (winner)

The Visit

The Last Ship

Honeymoon in Vegas

Fun Home- Comparing Albums  May 27 2015, 04:41:32 PM

"Anyone notice they cut out Small Alison's line "more crap?" from the first track?  Weird omission...I loved how that little banter led into Bruce's next verse.  I assume it's still that way in the show? "

Weird, her "more crap" line is still there for me.

I did notice that they changed the lyrics in the first verse of "Maps". The new ones emphasize that Alison is trying to differentiate from her dad's version of

Fun home or an American in Paris?  May 23 2015, 11:53:53 AM

"Thanks for the kind words
Watch out now as your defense of my opinion may get some older board members to put you in their crosshairs if you get my meaning."

Plenty of people have voiced criticism of Fun Home without being attacked, and I doubt you will be either. There's nothing wrong with not liking a show.

Of the two I remember being singled out, one went on a crusade to try to convince us that the show was abusive to children,

Favorite Musicals Currently on Broadway  May 20 2015, 10:46:11 PM

"My favorites are Fun Home, Matilda, and Hedwig, in that order."

Completely agree.

/fistbump

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You